Black Snow - Downsizing from MATX to MITX

Part 1: The Parts

This system is comprised mostly of new parts. The only things I'm keeping are the graphics card, PSU, and storage. As fas as new parts go, I've got:

Ryzen 5 1400

Asrock Fatality X370 something-orother-witth-wifi

HyperX Fury Black DDR4-2400 8GB

vu4QE8d.jpg

As fas the GPU, Storage, and PSU goes, I've got an eons-old EVGA GTX 750Ti, a 1TB WD drive I ripped from an old NAS, and a Samsung 850 Evo 250GB:

nUzpidB.jpg

(Even though I'm moving ato MITX, MATX is still the best form factor

I'll be glad to be done with this case, it's a Cooler Master OEM case. It acts like one too, the PSU it came with was louder than a jet engine, it has 0 room in the back for cable management, (as you can see based on the sata cable running across the case)  and the PCI shields break if you blow on them too hard. It's served me for 2 years now though so I can't knock it for bad frame construction. It's not normally this clean buy my brother was kind enough to dust it out a few weeks ago. (though he didn't get the details which we'll see later. )

SuHPS0w.jpg

(Turns out later is right now)

As you can see this card is a little bit disgusting. i may or may not fix that (Hint: I don't)

RXuuxg2.jpg

Just a picture of my drives. 

KWgxVoN.jpg
Who wore it better?

I must confess I do really like the clean design on my old HyperX Blues. I'll have to see if I can do anything with them so they live on. That's not to say the Fury doesn't look nice as well, It walks the line between clea, minimalist, industrial design and striking, agressive design perfectly. 

bIJYN2W.jpg

it's so tiny!

Asrock advertises this weird Steel PCI slot as part one of this motherboards features. I'm not entirely sur what the benefit of it is, but I doubt my GPU is pwerful enough for it to be relevant. 

SDFW8Y1.jpg

For the case I'm using the beautiful Thermaltake Core V1 Snow Edition. It'll contrast nicely with my black desk. While it's not the smallest MITX case ever,  almost all the sides are reconfigurable, meaning you could put the window beneath the PSU if you desired. I do kinda want to get some LEDs or something to put around the window or some other baby's first mod.

Part 2: Assembly

G4XMfyu.jpg

I've heard AMDs Wraith cooler is great at cooling and usable for OC'ing. As of writing this (~a week after completing the build) I haven't actually tried to OC, but the temperatures seem very nice at stock. I also ended up removing the stock paste on that cooler in favor of my own Arcic Silver 5. I bought it almost 2 years ago now and it seems to still be good ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vW9KNz0.jpg

this picture is my new asthetic

Well everything seems to work well enough. I'm relieved to know that I put in the CPU in the right direction as that was probably my biggest concner with this process. 

1krYBJ5.jpg

I kinda forgot to take pictures of putting the board into the case. soooo sory about that. :S

I'd just like to take this moment to talk about front panel headers. They are the worst things I've ever had the pleasure to lay my eyes on. they're small and finnicky and if you don't get them right you're computer will be basically useless. I must say that ram is sexy though! 

TzDPOUx.jpg

Probably my biggest criticism of this case is the HDD cages. Thhose little feet on the bottom are flimsy and will break off if you're not careful. Especially because they're under pressure from the motherboard tray to help secure them.

yUiZVM8.jpg

This took longer than they should've. Mostly because I couldn't find the screws needed for the SSD. The astute among you may have already noticed this but the SSD is actually backwards, which means I had to take it out, reverse it, and then put it back in.

MWtXIDy.jpg

This massive 200mm fan that came with the case is as big as my face!

i3Jy4jF.jpg

I'll have to reseat this later to fix some white sopts on the display. (Didn't take pictures of that though)

Got my GPU in the case! You can also see the I/O shield. 

5KtXFgM.jpg

This is the only decent picture I have with all the components installed. I'm still not sure whether or not this build has too much black in it. 

6cfhPzL.jpg

Well it looks like GRUB is broken and I'm too dumb to figure out how to fix it. Guess it's back to Windows for a little while. 

image.png.e257624229118b582f1980837c254f2c.png

Looks like Windows didn't like my hardware upgrade! Now i have this ominous and foreshadowing message warning me of my fate should I use an unlicensed copy of Windows. Hopefully I'll be back on Fedora next week.

fyw8BsY.jpg

my fetish is white cube cases

And here we go! Overall I'm very happy with how this build turned out. For context, I got a new desk and the old system wouldn't fit under there. I figured that while I'm downsizing I may as well upgrade from my old FM2 system that's been kicking since 2014. My first choice woulld've been a node 304, but the white version is currently on sale for the low low price of $191 on Amazon. Luckily white cases and cube cases seem to be more common among MITX cases than other form factors, so I had plenty of options. I still need to find out what to do with the old components, keep an eye on the classifieds maybe? ;)

Just as an aside, where can I buy things related to case modding? I remember there was one site a few years ago but the owner went crazy or something. Where's the new place?

Part 4: Misc Pictures

onchnev.jpg

JwkZcT4.jpg

These are my favorite pictures of the case and probably of the pictures I've taken. 

AMuSSFp.jpg

hsQSrBr.jpg

More pictures of logos! 

Tags

I don't know how to use this forum anymore so the entire post is in a spoiler

All the pics are dead.

Main PC:

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KS SP 116 (124P-102E) (6.1Ghz P-Cores 4.8Ghz E-cores) MC SP 88

CPU Voltage: LLC8 1.525V (real voltage 1.425V + - Temps 85-90 P-Cores, 70-73 E-cores)

Cooled by: Supercool Direct Die 14th gen full nickel

Motherboard: Z790 ASUS Maximus Apex Encore

RAM: GSkill TridentZ 2x24GB DDR5 8600Mhz CL38 (OC from 8000Mhz CL40)

GPU: RTX MSI 4090 Suprim X with EKWB waterblock

Case: My own case fabricated out of aluminium and wood

Storage: 4x 2TB Sarbent Rocket Plus Gen 4.0 NVMe, 1x External 2TB Seagate Barracuda (Backup)

WiFi: BE202 WiFi 7 Tri-Band card module

PSU: Corsair AX1600i with custom black and red cables with 2x Corsair 5V+ Load Balancer

Display: Samsung Oddysey G9 240Hz Ver. 5120x1440 with G-Sync and Freesync Premium Pro 1008 Firmware Ver, and 1x Electriq USB C 1080p 15'8 inch IPS portable display for temperature and stats, MSI 23'8 144Hz G-Sync

Fan Controllers:  6x AquaComputer Octo with 5 temperature sensors

Cooling: Three Custom Loops:

1st Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for GPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, red coolant

2nd Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for CPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, purple coolant

3rd Loop: 1x 240mm PE CoolStream radiator with 1x EKWB Revo D5 pump (RAM ONLY)

Total: 5x pumps and 13x radiators 50x 3000RPM Noctua Industrial fans

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow V3 RGB - Green switches

Sound: Logitech Z680 5.1 THX Certified 505W Speakers

Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock

Piano: Yamaha P155

Phone: Oppo Find X5 Pro

Camera: Logitech Brio Pro 4K

VR: Oculus Rift S

External SSD: 256GB Overclocking OS

LaptopMSI Titan GT77HX V13RTX 4090 175W, i9 13980HX OC: P-Cores 5.8Ghz 3 cores and 5.2Ghz 5 cores and E-Cores 4.3Ghz, 192GB of RAM @5600Mhz @3600 (chipset limit),

12TB (3x4TB) of NVMe, 17'3 inch 4K 144Hz MiniLED screen, 4x 17'3 ASUS portable USB-C Monitors 240Hz, Creative Sound Blaster G6 Sound Card, Portable 16TB NVMe in TB4 enclosures (8x2TB), Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock gaming mouse, Keychron K3 gaming keyboard with blue switches low profile, Logitech Brio 4K Webcam.

Hand held: ROG Ally with XG Mobile RTX 3080 with Keychron K3 low profile keyboard (Blue Switches) and Razer Hyperspeed V3 mouse and 4TB NVMe upgrade (WDBlack SN850X), with 100W 20000Mah power bank and portable monitor ROG XG17AHP 17'3 inch 240Hz with built in battery, and 518Wh Power station for Camping.

Nice, I like the case!

Do you plan on upgrading the GPU as well?

btw, the steel reinforced pcie slots on the mainboard are more sturdy than the plastic ones you usually find and are meant to reduce GPU sag. Never had a board with these though so I couldn't tell if it actually works. Your GTX 750ti probably isn't that heavy anyway.

3 hours ago, chilicheeseburger said:

Nice, I like the case!

Do you plan on upgrading the GPU as well?

Maybe if I can find a deal on an AMD card. Right now the 750ti does what I need (I'm playing fairly old games right now) so the only reason to upgrade would be a blower style cooler (which is better for small cases like to his one) and better driver support on Linux.