MX switch most like rubber dome.

lufihengr

I tried to find an answer but could not find one.

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

So you mean the closest match to a rubber dome?

If so I would go with something like a brown or black :)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Mx cherry browns or clears.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you're looking for something soft, go Reds with O-Rings.

If you're looking for something medium, either Topre (300$) or Browns.

If you're looking for something heavy, try Blues

I7-4770k - ASUS Maximus VI Formula - 16GB ADATA 2133MHz - EVGA 780 SC - 512GB Intel SSD - 2TB WD Black - Thermaltake DPS 750W

Reds are the closest to the typical rubber dome IMO. Totally linear, no actuation click or bump.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

mx reds are the mech version of rubber domes. why would u ever want that though?

What I am looking for is that it activates almost instantly at the top

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

Do the reds have a small bump when it actuates? I don't really think I will like anything fully linear, i like to know when it actuates.

mx reds are the mech version of rubber domes. why would u ever want that though?

Because reds are awesome?  :P

Seriously I adore my reds, I love the low actuation force on them.

Do the reds have a small bump when it actuates? I don't really think I will like anything fully linear, i like to know when it actuates.

They do not, just a smooth travel.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

So you have no idea when it actuates? Might need browns then? Would go blue but I read that they are bad if you need to mash them fast.

if you want something tactile, your main options are browns and blues:

blues sound and feel very click, while browns sound more clacky and the bump feels less sharp and more "plasticy"(not in a bad way)

there are also clears which are heaver browns with a more defined bump and greens are heavier blues.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

thats disgusting xD

I honestly think that browns are probs most like rubber dome... perhaps with O rings as well.

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

So you have no idea when it actuates? Might need browns then? Would go blue but I read that they are bad if you need to mash them fast.

If you use reds, the assumption is that you're bottoming out, Especially when gaming. It's very quick qnd easy to bottom out and that gives you all the tactile feedback you need. This is why MOST people don't like them that much for typing since you can be quicker if you don't bottom out each stroke, but frankly I'm not good enough a typist to notice. I actually prefer to type on reds because there's much less fatigue for me. I'm typing this on a membrane board at work and it feels so sluggish and stiff, bleh.

Browns are a bit stiffer so it's easier to actuate them without bottoming out, that's what the little bumb in the middle of the stroke is there to help you with. But I find it very hard to believe gamers actually do that and for typing it only matters if you're pretty good at it. Browns and blues are harder to double tap, or tap quickly with though, especially the blues with that extra click.

thats disgusting xD

Have you ever tried reds? Trust me you feel the difference with a membrane board instantly.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Is there any real price difference with reds and browns?

Oh and where can I find clears??

If you use reds, the assumption is that you're bottoming out, Especially when gaming. It's very quick qnd easy to bottom out and that gives you all the tactile feedback you need. This is why MOST people don't like them that much for typing since you can be quicker if you don't bottom out each stroke, but frankly I'm not good enough a typist to notice. I actually prefer to type on reds because there's much less fatigue for me. I'm typing this on a membrane board at work and it feels so sluggish and stiff, bleh.

Browns are a bit stiffer so it's easier to actuate them without bottoming out, that's what the little bumb in the middle of the stroke is there to help you with. But I find it very hard to believe gamers actually do that and for typing it only matters if you're pretty good at it. Browns and blues are harder to double tap, or tap quickly with though, especially the blues with that extra click.

Have you ever tried reds? Trust me you feel the difference with a membrane board instantly.

i have tried reds they are awful feeling. ive tried all of em except greens cause they werent out when i bought mine

i have tried reds they are awful feeling. ive tried all of em except greens cause they werent out when i bought mine

Did you play fps games with reds? Or just mashing them?

Did you play fps games with reds? Or just mashing them?

yea i did, preferred browns to be honest. all personal preference. u got to try them all first hand its really the only way to choose what u want. all this blues are for typists reds are for gamers thing is stupid. try them 

Is there any real price difference with reds and browns?

Oh and where can I find clears??

Browns are slightly stiffer and give you a noticeable bump halfway down when it actuates. Reds are lighter and don't bump at all when they actuate. 

See this is the biggest thing, I absolutely hate the heavy switches like blacks and greens! But other people disagree and it isn't something you can be objective about.

It's an incredibly personal choice so it really depends on you. Do you like light, fast strokes or a heavier feeling? Best thing to do is to physically try some of them out. 

Browns are slightly stiffer and give you a noticeable bump halfway down when it actuates. Reds are lighter and don't bump at all when they actuate. 

See this is the biggest thing, I absolutely hate the heavy switches like blacks and greens! But other people disagree and it isn't something you can be objective about.

It's an incredibly personal choice so it really depends on you. Do you like light, fast strokes or a heavier feeling? Best thing to do is to physically try some of them out. 

yea read a couple of posts down i said its all preference

yea read a couple of posts down i said its all preference

That was more meant for the OP really :)

This thread makes my eyes bleed, I can't believe how many ignorant comments have been made saying tactile switches are " most like " a rubber dome not even regarding the fact that they're linear.

Trying out the switches would be the best thing to do but since you're here to get idiotic opinions that are meaningless to you I'll throw out what I think.

To let you know that tactile bump in any tactile switch isn't that easy to tell you registered the switch. If you're coming from membrane you'll have a tendency to bottom out and that tactile bump is meaningless because you would learn when to stop the key switch half way through the key depression ( actuation point ) regardless if you have a tactile switch or not, though one thing I do know that is important to note between linear vs tactile while that reds and browns have the same actuation weight browns are heavier by nature of the switch type(tactile). There's a graph somewhere that proves it.

Blues = Browns + Noise, you won't be able to tell the resistance unless you have baby hands or arthritis. 

The previous person saying topre is a " medium weighted " switch is wrong.

Topre's don't compare to MX switches and they come in two different weights so you can't generalize them since 55g topre exists.

Blue's aren't heavy at all anyways, clears, blacks, greens are all much higher in resistance. 

This thread makes my eyes bleed, I can't believe how many ignorant comments have been made saying tactile switches are " most like " a rubber dome not even regarding the fact that they're linear.

Trying out the switches would be the best thing to do but since you're here to get idiotic opinions that are meaningless to you I'll throw out what I think.

To let you know that tactile bump in any tactile switch isn't that easy to tell you registered the switch. If you're coming from membrane you'll have a tendency to bottom out and that tactile bump is meaningless because you would learn when to stop the key switch half way through the key depression ( actuation point ) regardless if you have a tactile switch or not, though one thing I do know that is important to note between linear vs tactile while that reds and browns have the same actuation weight browns are heavier by nature of the switch type(tactile). There's a graph somewhere that proves it.

Blues = Browns + Noise, you won't be able to tell the resistance unless you have baby hands or arthritis. 

The previous person saying topre is a " medium weighted " switch is wrong.

Topre's don't compare to MX switches and they come in two different weights so you can't generalize them since 55g topre exists.

Blue's aren't heavy at all anyways, clears, blacks, greens are all much higher in resistance. 

The thing is, I love the way these rubber keys work on my G510, when you put enough pressure on the key it goes all the way to the bottom, no free space. It's all or nothing.

That is what I want from a mech board too.

The thing is, I love the way these rubber keys work on my G510, when you put enough pressure on the key it goes all the way to the bottom, no free space. It's all or nothing.

That is what I want from a mech board too.

Well there you go, then you should get reds, they are exactly that.