Mackie CR4 + Active Subwoofer = possible?

Wondering if my mackie cr4 has any way of allowing me to plug in my Sony SA-W2500 Active subwoofer directly into the Powered speaker? do i need anything else to make it work, any cables, amp, audio interface, reciever? let me know

so what you want is plugging you surround subwoofer into your USB speakers or into something which sounds like  JBL EON315 15" 280-Watt Powered PA Speaker

ask me about your system builds, AIO's, CPU's, PSU's, and GPU's.

you just run the cable from the powered speakers down to the sub where it says in and then run wires from where it says out to the passive speaker.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

@Blacksygor, the difficulty here is that the CR4's don't have a subwoofer output, and the SA-W2500 doesn't have a line level stereo pass-through.

The method Dackzy mentions will give you only the low frequencies present in the left side.

An alternative would be to use a separate 3.5mm to phono cable going just to the sub from your motherboard's C/Sub port, and set up the windows output as 2.1. you would then control volume through windows rather than on the speakers once you've set a good balance.

52 minutes ago, anothertom said:

The method Dackzy mentions will give you only the low frequencies present in the left side.

no, that should give him full range in the left side, unless sony fucked something up

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

no, that should give him full range in the left side, unless sony fucked something up

The sub has a low-pass on it's inputs. The output from the sub to the non-powered CR4 will still be full range.

Either way, you still don't get the sub in the right side in in the sub.

Just now, anothertom said:

The sub has a low-pass on it's inputs. The output from the sub to the non-powered CR4 will still be full range.

Either way, you still don't get the sub in the right side in in the sub.

the input should get split into two, one that just goes through the sub and then one that goes into the actual sub and the low-pass filter.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

the input should get split into two, one that just goes through the sub and then one that goes into the actual sub and the low-pass filter.

Correct, we're saying the same thing.

Just now, anothertom said:

Correct, we're saying the same thing.

then he would also have full range in the left side, since it splits up the signal, one that is full range and just goes through and one that goes through the filter.

6 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

then he would also have full range in the left side, since it splits up the signal, one that is full range and just goes through and one that goes through the filter.

He would have full range in both CR4's. The sub would only be outputting the low frequencies from which ever side the un-powered CR4 is on.

1 minute ago, anothertom said:

He would have full range in both CR4's. The sub would only be outputting the low frequencies from which ever side the un-powered CR4 is on.

Shouldn't he also get the low range in the left? It has been too long since I ran a sub like this :D 

7 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

So the connections would be:

> Source to powered CR4 (stereo line level signal)

> Powered CR4's speaker level output to sub speaker level input

> sub speaker level output to un-powered CR4.

Because there's no output from the powered CR4 for it's own signal, it's impossible to get that to the sub (without either splitting the line level signal and summing it into the sub; using a separate output from the source; or using either a passive or active crossover).

thanks alot for responding everybody! i'll have the chance to try those connections later on in the week and i'll keep this topic updated, because i am certain that more people than just me have this kind of bad combo :D if anyone has anything else to add, any different connections i should try then post a comment

21 hours ago, anothertom said:

21 hours ago, anothertom said:

Because there's no output from the powered CR4 for it's own signal, it's impossible to get that to the sub (without either splitting the line level signal and summing it into the sub; using a separate output from the source; or using either a passive or active crossover).

Is there honestly nothing else that i can do? get an adapter or SOMETHING? its a downright shame that the subwoofer cant pick up the other bass, i really think there should be some kind of way to make this work...

attatched file is the connection that anothertom and dackzy suggest:

ma.jpg

• 11 months later...

just use a RCA to 3.5mm jack and put in sound card in the black one and your speakers in the green 

You could modify the powered speaker by opening it and splice in some speaker wires. Drill a small hole and running them out to the subwoofer.

Main system:

Enthoo Primo, X99 Rampage V, 16GB Ripjaws, i7 5820K, 500GB 970 EVO, 1TB 850 EVO, GTX 1080Ti SLI, EKWB custom Water cooling, Acer X34.

Obutto R3volution racing sim, Logitech G27 w/Nardi wheel and custom button plate, Logitech Z906 surround sound.

Home Theater:

Fractal Node 605, Asus Prime Z390A, i5 9600K, 16GB 3200MHz, 2 X 500GB EVO, GTX 1080, 4TB WD, Corsair Lapdog - K63 keyboard, Logitech MX Master 2S,

Samsung Q8F 65", Dreamscreen Cineseat powered recliner sofa.

Denon AVR-X4500H, Dynavoice Challenger surround: M-105, C5 XL, M-65. Klipsch R41-SA Atmos speakers. XTZ 12.16 sub, Dynabel Phobos 12" sub.

2nd system:

Fractal R5, Asus Z-97 A, 16GB 2000MHz, i7 4790K, 240GB 840 EVO, GTX 980Ti SLI, EKWB and Swiftech custom water cooling, Asus Swift PG278Q.

Laptop:

Acer Predator G9-793, i7-7700HQ, 16GB, GTX 1070, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1080p display OC to 100Hz.

Headphones and DAC/AMP: 

Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO

Sound Blaster X3