• Relatively small form factor with no external power brick
  • Streaming apps like Netflix
  • Clean and minimalist operating system 
  • Comfortable controller with well designed buttons
  • Wide library (physical and digital)
  • Sony's exclusives 
  • Full third party support

Cons:

• Loud shrill fans (a bit louder than the Xbox One's)
  • The user cannot do much to customize the home menu 
  • No backwards compatibility (digital PS3/PS2 games would've been nice)
  • Slow download speeds (a game can take at least an hour to download)
  • ~3 hr controller battery life (touch bar and light bar can't be turned off to conserve power)
  • Paying $50 for PS Plus each year (and it's rarely great "free" games)

If you already own a gaming PC or Xbox One, it's not an essential purchase unless you are strongly interested in Sony's exclusives.  As your first modern console, it's a great choice, although you would want to get the Slim if the price (for better form factor, download speeds and reduced fan noise/heat) if the price difference is not too significant.

7.5/10

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

You should try to go in more depth with the review because then it will help peoples choices 

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

4 minutes ago, minervx said:
  • ~3 hr controller battery life

:o no way!  Wow... I've never formally measured my xbox one controller but it's definitely a lot more than that.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

:o no way!  Wow... I've never formally measured my xbox one controller but it's definitely a lot more than that.

Xbox One has a way better battery life at expense of requiring a battery charger and a larger form factor.  It's an even trade in my opinion

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Just now, minervx said:

Xbox One has a way better battery life at expense of requiring a battery charger and a larger form factor.  It's an even trade in my opinion

Mine just takes AAs :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 hours battery life for DS4. That's just wow. My DS3 lasted like half a day no problem (on idle)

16 minutes ago, minervx said:

• No backwards compatibility (digital PS3/PS2 games would've been nice)

There is no backward compatibility but there is an option to upgrade your PS3 game to be able to play on PS4

17 minutes ago, minervx said:
  • The user cannot do much to customize the home menu 

I mean it's a gaming console, you play on it

18 minutes ago, minervx said:
  • Slow download speeds (a game can take at least an hour to download)

That could also be a problem with your internet, putting a con there is not right. Games on my PS3 doesn't take that long

19 minutes ago, minervx said:
  • Loud shrill fans (a bit louder than the Xbox One's)

My PS3 sits under my TV and I usually keep a good distance between my TV and my seat so noise was not an issue

19 minutes ago, minervx said:
  • Paying $50 for PS Plus each year (and it's rarely great "free" games)

That's not a con to PS4, you also pay for it on PS3 too. $50 every year is cheap, come on. FIFA 17 alone for example already costs like $50 

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

There is no backward compatibility but there is an option to upgrade your PS3 game to be able to play on PS4

Does this apply to a wide variety of titles?  Is there a fee?

I mean it's a gaming console, you play on it

Yes, the OS could really use some work.  The entire first menu is social features, trophies, events and such.  If you're not even into that, you can't put different icons there.  The second menu is cluttered with apps that are either bloatware or recommendations to download which can't be hidden.  Also there is not much verticality, so you're mostly scrolling sideways instead of in a balanced manner.  Nitpicks sure, but these things aren't too hard to fix.  

That could also be a problem with your internet, putting a con there is not right. Games on my PS3 doesn't take that long

My laptop (built in 2012) is used in the same living room and it downloads files twice as fast.

That's not a con to PS4, you also pay for it on PS3 too. $50 every year is cheap, come on. FIFA 17 alone for example already costs like $50 

If you're paying this fee for 5 years, that's $250 and the price gap between a console and PC gets even thinner.

If you also use an Xbox One, you would need to pay a 2nd fee to use PS4 online.

Just now, minervx said:

Does this apply to a wide variety of titles?  Is there a fee?

Yes, the OS could really use some work.  The entire first menu is social features, trophies, events and such.  If you're not even into that, you can't put different icons there.  The second menu is cluttered with apps that are either bloatware or recommendations to download which can't be hidden.  Also there is not much verticality, so you're mostly scrolling sideways instead of in a balanced manner.  Nitpicks sure, but these things aren't too hard to fix.  

My laptop (built in 2012) is used in the same living room and it downloads files twice as fast.

If you're paying this fee for 5 years, that's $250 and the price gap between a console and PC gets even thinner.

If you also use an Xbox One, you would need to pay a 2nd fee to use PS4 online.

• No, only to some games, and yes there is a fee. 
  • If you want customization, get a PC. 
  • Yes your laptop downloads other stuff twice as fast as your console downloading a Playstation game. How's that a comparison?
  • You do know Xbox Gold exists right?