Windows 10 slow AF

BigCake
Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

Have you clean installed Windows from a fresh ISO?

No, only reset it through settings

1 hour ago, Atalia Chez said:

No, only reset it through settings

That could be the issue. Use a Windows ISO from Microsoft's site. I've had issues with pre-installed copies of Windows before. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

17 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

That could be the issue. Use a Windows ISO from Microsoft's site. I've had issues with pre-installed copies of Windows before. 

I thought so. Downloading ISO image for it. I will have to install tons of important programs.

Just now, Atalia Chez said:

I thought so. Downloading ISO image for it. I will have to install tons of important programs.

That's better than using a fucked up copy of Windows though. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 hour ago, Jamiec1130 said:

That's better than using a fucked up copy of Windows though. 

There is no guarantee that it will all suddenly work nicely. I wish to clean install but I dont understand one thing. What is difference between the reset option and a clean flash? Reset option deleted everything I had, basically making it look like a fresh start.

33 minutes ago, Atalia Chez said:

There is no guarantee that it will all suddenly work nicely. I wish to clean install but I dont understand one thing. What is difference between the reset option and a clean flash? Reset option deleted everything I had, basically making it look like a fresh start.

On a pre-built system, the reset option just reinstalls the OS from an image that (in my experience) is the same as the original Windows installation. Installing from a fresh ISO won't have any junk that an OEM would put on it. 

9 hours ago, Jamiec1130 said:

On a pre-built system, the reset option just reinstalls the OS from an image that (in my experience) is the same as the original Windows installation. Installing from a fresh ISO won't have any junk that an OEM would put on it. 

Some people said that reset with all user data removed is same as installing a fresh OS.

6 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

@Atalia Chez have you checked disk usage and latency of your disk? In all my pcs with Win10, all I need to do to make it much snappier is disable Windows Defender Real-Time protection. This thing can destroy your performance with some workloads, like loading small files (that already is the worst case scenario for HDDs).

You could check for temperature too, because high temps can cause severe throttling.

Talking about disk usage, some service known as prefetch sometimes use constant 15MB/s for 10 seconds or so. 

When doing simple workload, laptop remains at very good temperature, average is 43 centigrade when ambient temperature is 34 centigrade. 

5 hours ago, Atalia Chez said:

Some people said that reset with all user data removed is same as installing a fresh OS. 

It’s not. The OEM still provides the image with all their junk on it. 

1 hour ago, Jamiec1130 said:

It’s not. The OEM still provides the image with all their junk on it. 

One more thing. I have downloaded win 10 iso img from their own tool. Now how to activate windows after fresh installing it?

28 minutes ago, Atalia Chez said:

One more thing. I have downloaded win 10 iso img from their own tool. Now how to activate windows after fresh installing it?

It should automatically activate it with the key embedded into the computer. The computer came with Windows 10, right?

44 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

It should automatically activate it with the key embedded into the computer. The computer came with Windows 10, right?

Need a quick help please. Which partition should I remove. Basically what to do now? 

IMG_20170830_174654.jpg

Just now, Atalia Chez said:

Need a quick help please. Which partition should I remove. Basically what to do now? 

Whatever your main OS partition is. Make sure you’ve backed up your data. 

9 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Whatever your main OS partition is. Make sure you’ve backed up your data. 

Am I supposed to delete all of these partitions? OR am I supposed to what? I have no idea what to do. Moreover, I remember back in Win7, I could not make partition because of some error. Will I face the same error here?

EDIT: I want to clean install everything. My data is backed up but I dont know what to do. I am a very noob person in this matter because I almost had very less contact with such measures.

Another thing, it gives me error saying:

"Windows Cannot be installed to this disk the selected disk is of the GPT partition ... "

I am doing it through my pen drive. I just want to know which partition is 'SAFE' to delete and would not affect pre-installation or post-installation. Hope you understand what I am trying to say and help accordingly. Thanks.

32 minutes ago, Atalia Chez said:

IMG_20170830_174654.jpg

1 hour ago, Atalia Chez said:

Another thing, it gives me error saying:

"Windows Cannot be installed to this disk the selected disk is of the GPT partition ... "

I am doing it through my pen drive. I just want to know which partition is 'SAFE' to delete and would not affect pre-installation or post-installation. Hope you understand what I am trying to say and help accordingly. Thanks.

This is because your USB flash drive or you picked to boot your USB flash drive or you set your system to run as Legacy mode (BIOS emulation mode) in the UEFI instead of UEFI mode.

• UEFI can only boot from a drive table formatted in GPT format
  • BIOS can only boot from a drive table formatted in MBR.

Windows setup is confused, and hence why you get this error message. It sees GPT, but your system is set to BIOS, so it expect and will format the drive as MBR.

If you have a "modern" system (2011 or later), you should have a system running with a UEFI instead of the BIOS (1975 technology). Make sure your system is set to UEFI mode, CSM is disabled, and SATA Controller is set to AHCI mode, and boot your USB Flash drive in UEFI mode (can also appear as "EFI" in the boot selection menu), and that your USB flash drive was prepared for UEFI systems with Rufus (or whatever you used, as you didn't use Windows Media Creation Tools as you needed to do it on a Mac, from my understanding)

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

This is because your USB flash drive or you picked to boot your USB flash drive or you set your system to run as Legacy mode (BIOS emulation mode) in the UEFI instead of UEFI mode.

• UEFI can only boot from a drive table formatted in GPT format
  • BIOS can only boot from a drive table formatted in MBR.

Windows setup is confused, and hence why you get this error message. It sees GPT, but your system is set to BIOS, so it expect and will format the drive as MBR.

If you have a "modern" system (2011 or later), you should have a system running with a UEFI instead of the BIOS (1975 technology). Make sure your system is is set to UEFI mode, CSM is disabled, and SATA Controller is set to AHCI mode, and boot your USB Flash drive in UEFI mode (can also appear as "EFI" in the boot selection menu), and that your USB flash drive was prepared for UEFI systems with Rufus (or whatever you used, as you didn't use Windows Media Creation Tools as you needed to do it on a Mac, from my understanding)

I changed UEFI to legacy because it was not detecting bootable USB in boot option.

16 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Superfetch is just doing its work. That's OK. The problem usually is with Defender (that appears to use few KBps, but in fact adds latency to your disk requests, making everything slower).

You should be fine with those temps.

Will keep your suggestion in mind, let me reinstall windows :D

8 minutes ago, Atalia Chez said:

I changed UEFI to legacy because it was not detecting bootable USB in boot option.

So your USB Flash drive needs to be adapted. You should have the option in Rufus.

Make sure you set "Partition scheme..." to "GPT partition scheme for UEFI".

Just now, GoodBytes said:

So your USB Flash drive needs to be adapted. You should have the option in Rufus.

Make sure you set "Partition scheme..." to "GPT partition scheme for UEFI".

One last question(hopefully)

Should I just format or delete partitions and let system reserve, EFS and recovery untouched?

20 minutes ago, Atalia Chez said:

One last question(hopefully)

Should I just format or delete partitions and let system reserve, EFS and recovery untouched?

Just format the partition of where Windows is. Unless you plan to convert your system from MBR as you want to use legacy mode (BIOS mode), which requires deleting all partitions and restart fresh, which I don't recommend as you want to keep your recovery partition of Window, in the case you want to return to it.

19 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Just format the partition of where Windows is. Unless you plan to convert your system from MBR as you want to use legacy mode (BIOS mode), which requires deleting all partitions and restart fresh, which I don't recommend as you want to keep your recovery partition of Window, in the case you want to return to it.

I wish to clean everything because there is nothing that I want to keep. Few people say that if I have to clean install windows then I should probably clean every partition because the windows will create partitions on its own later on.

But, I see a system partition which is ESP, I plan not to touch it since it's the bootloader right?

5 minutes ago, Atalia Chez said:

I wish to clean everything because there is nothing that I want to keep. Few people say that if I have to clean install windows then I should probably clean every partition because the windows will create partitions on its own later on.

But, I see a system partition which is ESP, I plan not to touch it since it's the bootloader right?

Correct, but you can delete it and Windows Setup will re-create it (assuming you are UEFI mode)

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Correct, but you can delete it and Windows Setup will re-create it (assuming you are UEFI mode)

Yes I am in UEFI mode. Just one last time asking, should I delete every partition now? I just don't want anything nasty happen to laptop after wards :)

3 minutes ago, Atalia Chez said:

Yes I am in UEFI mode. Just one last time asking, should I delete every partition now? I just don't want anything nasty happen to laptop after wards :)

I would suggest to keep your recovery partition, in the case something nasty happen and you can recover from. Acer, HP, Lenovo budget systems, I don't know about now, but they used to like to put drivers and software only available in their system image, and not available on their website or anywhere else, so that you have to use their recovery image, or send your system to them for "repair" for them to wipe everything and restore to manufacture default (costly service that takes 2-3 weeks).

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I would suggest to keep your recovery partition, in the case something nasty happen and you can recover from. Acer, HP, Lenovo budget systems, I don't know about now, but they used to like to put drivers and software only available in their system image, and not available on their website or anywhere else, so that you have to use their recovery image, or send your system to them for "repair" for them to wipe everything and restore to manufacture default (costly service that takes 2-3 weeks).

Well. I delete ESP partition but it not allocating into one space with the other 929GB space