Monitoring Untangle Routers Remotely?

Hello all,

I've been searching the great Google to answer this question.

:BackStory:

A friend has used Cacti, version 8.8 with a few no longer supported add-ons to monitor some Cisco hardware and windows machines on his work network. Mainly using SNMPv1 or v2c. Cacti is up to version 1.1.16 last I looked at it, sadly his add-ons no longer work.(Mainly a few additionally graphing pages like "Monitor")

::

We have been doing some testing with Untangle, fun router OS. It has SNMP options but where we are falling short is figuring out how to monitor a network interface. Bits/sec Up/down, Bits total Up/Down. Is there a software out there that out of the box will monitor a Unix server via SNMP  for network interface data?

From what I can see it will require doing some changes to the untangles information it sends the server and the server will need to be prepared to accept the additional data. (Likely a software that has a per configured client side install)

Anyone know of such a software? I'm not looking forward to the idea of trying to write my own.

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

59 minutes ago, Agons said:

Hello all,

I've been searching the great Google to answer this question.

:BackStory:

A friend has used Cacti, version 8.8 with a few no longer supported add-ons to monitor some Cisco hardware and windows machines on his work network. Mainly using SNMPv1 or v2c. Cacti is up to version 1.1.16 last I looked at it, sadly his add-ons no longer work.(Mainly a few additionally graphing pages like "Monitor")

::

We have been doing some testing with Untangle, fun router OS. It has SNMP options but where we are falling short is figuring out how to monitor a network interface. Bits/sec Up/down, Bits total Up/Down. Is there a software out there that out of the box will monitor a Unix server via SNMP  for network interface data?

From what I can see it will require doing some changes to the untangles information it sends the server and the server will need to be prepared to accept the additional data. (Likely a software that has a per configured client side install)

Anyone know of such a software? I'm not looking forward to the idea of trying to write my own.

I'm not sure if you are comfortable using Nagios or Zabbix?  Zabbix can use both SNMP and a Zabbix Client I believe and I believe Nagios can too.   I've never had to do this, I hope this helps none the less.  

Observium might be worth a look also, although I've only used it on Windows and FortiGate devices myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after playing with Nagios(Which I think was the better option if I was willing to pay for their nice interfaces.) and Observium I Rolled with Observium. It's really good with the amount of graphs it sets up out of the box. Thanks all, I had not seen Observium mentioned before in other online postings about SNMP monitors.

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670