LG Ultrawide and DVI to HDMI

TenzoNakami

Since I have 3 25UM58P which only supports HDMI2.0 at its best and my GTX1070 only have 1 HDMI output, (2 at its best since it's an SLI) and so I resort to this:

I have tried using DP to HDMI and no, most people say those DP to HDMI adapter will only allow 1920x1080 at most even if I buy the "4K" version. I didn't care about what people say and ordered one. The first one is an expensive active adapter. Didn't work. No signal at all. Tried on 3 different monitors. The second one is a less expensive passive adapter. Does work. But the max resolution is 1920x1080 @50Hz even though they are rated for 4K. I returned both and still same issue. I take DP to HDMI is a no no for these ultrawide.

Then I tried DVI to HDMI since they are really really cheap. I don't want to wait to see if it is a defunct if it doesn't work so I bought 10 of them, yes 10. I tried all of them on 3 different monitors, yes 30 tries and all of them fails. All of them only shows up with "No signal. Please check your connection."

Anyone could help me with this? I even swapped out the GPU with a RX580 and still to no avail.

EDIT: The cables used are LG's factory cable which is I'm sure rated for HDMI 2.0 and the H8 HDMI 2.0 which I've tried and does work on a 4K display.

CPU i7-7700K @5.2GHz     Motherboard ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA     RAM 2 Kits of TridentZ RGB F4-3866C18D-32GTZR     GPU 2 of ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1070 AMP Extreme

Case be quiet! dark base pro 900 black     Storage 4 of 6TB WD RED (on server), 2 of Samsung 850 PRO 1TB (on RAID 0), Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2 NVMe, Intel 400GB 750 Series

PSU Corsair HX850i     Cooling EK-RES X3 250, EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM, EK-Supremacy EVO Gold, EK-Coolstream CE 420, Black Ice GTS420, 7 of EK-Furious Vardar FF4-140

Spoiler

Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM     Keycaps Mionix Frosting + Mionix Ice Cream     Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma + Steelseries Sensei Wireless

Mousepad Custom printed by evghapad.id     Headset Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO 250 Ohm     DAC audioengine D1     Speaker Custom designed 7.1 by ss-audio

Microphone AntLion ModMic 4     Monitor 3 of LG 29UM58-P, 2 of Samsung C27F390     Controller XBOX ONE Elite Wireless, 3 of Sony PlayStation DS4

Because you can't convert it reasonably, you will have to change your monitor(s). I have one of the 25" UW which works 75Hz 1080p and the HDMI is fine. I swear that they have a slightly more expensive version which uses DP

I dislike simultaneous releases

Not sure I'd trust a monitor from a company where in the 'Tech Specs' they list the Contrast Ratio as "Mega"

1 hour ago, TenzoNakami said:

Since I have 3 25UM58P which only supports HDMI2.0 at its best and my GTX1070 only have 1 HDMI output, (2 at its best since it's an SLI) and so I resort to this:

I have tried using DP to HDMI and no, most people say those DP to HDMI adapter will only allow 1920x1080 at most even if I buy the "4K" version. I didn't care about what people say and ordered one. The first one is an expensive active adapter. Didn't work. No signal at all. Tried on 3 different monitors. The second one is a less expensive passive adapter. Does work. But the max resolution is 1920x1080 @50Hz even though they are rated for 4K. I returned both and still same issue. I take DP to HDMI is a no no for these ultrawide.

Then I tried DVI to HDMI since they are really really cheap. I don't want to wait to see if it is a defunct if it doesn't work so I bought 10 of them, yes 10. I tried all of them on 3 different monitors, yes 30 tries and all of them fails. All of them only shows up with "No signal. Please check your connection."

Anyone could help me with this? I even swapped out the GPU with a RX580 and still to no avail.

EDIT: The cables used are LG's factory cable which is I'm sure rated for HDMI 2.0 and the H8 HDMI 2.0 which I've tried and does work on a 4K display.

Use this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GW8DZV4/

Some DisplayPort adapters are limited to 1080p 60 Hz, some aren't. You probably got a type 1 which was mislabeled or falsely advertised.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?output=DP&input=HDMI

You don't need full HDMI 2.0 speeds, so a Type 2 passive will be plenty.

4 hours ago, Glenwing said:

Use this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GW8DZV4/

Some DisplayPort adapters are limited to 1080p 60 Hz, some aren't. You probably got a type 1 which was mislabeled or falsely advertised.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?output=DP&input=HDMI

You don't need full HDMI 2.0 speeds, so a Type 2 passive will be plenty.

I couldn't find that specific adapters here in my country but I ordered that off amazon and it might take more than a week to arrive.

In the meantime I am also buying this http://www.aten.com/us/en/products/professional-audiovideo/converters/vc986/#.WZrbMSgjEkk and a generic active adapter (which they claimed supports up to 4K and AMD Eyefinity).

These 2 adapters will arrive by tomorrow and I will give an update later. If these 2 adapters doesn't work then I will have to wait until that adapter you suggested to arrive.

And also, a quick update: I noticed that the DVI to HDMI does work, without the nvidia drivers. When I installed the nvidia drivers it simply doesn't want to detect that monitor.

Either the card is faulty or the driver is buggy or I don't know what.

CPU i7-7700K @5.2GHz     Motherboard ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA     RAM 2 Kits of TridentZ RGB F4-3866C18D-32GTZR     GPU 2 of ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1070 AMP Extreme

Case be quiet! dark base pro 900 black     Storage 4 of 6TB WD RED (on server), 2 of Samsung 850 PRO 1TB (on RAID 0), Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2 NVMe, Intel 400GB 750 Series

PSU Corsair HX850i     Cooling EK-RES X3 250, EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM, EK-Supremacy EVO Gold, EK-Coolstream CE 420, Black Ice GTS420, 7 of EK-Furious Vardar FF4-140

Spoiler

Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM     Keycaps Mionix Frosting + Mionix Ice Cream     Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma + Steelseries Sensei Wireless

Mousepad Custom printed by evghapad.id     Headset Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO 250 Ohm     DAC audioengine D1     Speaker Custom designed 7.1 by ss-audio

Microphone AntLion ModMic 4     Monitor 3 of LG 29UM58-P, 2 of Samsung C27F390     Controller XBOX ONE Elite Wireless, 3 of Sony PlayStation DS4

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

I personally own this adapter (Actually, the MiniDP version, but it's the exact same thing) and I can vouch for it's efficacy.  I use it to drive my 4K TV at 4K@60hz on a Radeon HD 7950.

Actually it's a passive one (max 4K 30), though it looks the same on the outside.

Just now, Glenwing said:

Actually it's a passive one (max 4K 30), though it looks the same on the outside.

Oh, you're right, I didn't look closely enough.

https://www.amazon.ca/Plugable-DisplayPort-Supports-displays-3840x2160/dp/B00S0BWR2K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1503328426&sr=8-2&keywords=plugable+hdmi+2.0

THIS one.  THIS is the one I have.

2 hours ago, Glenwing said:

Wait a minute. Wait. Quoting from the pinned thread:

Retailers do not usually label their adapters as "Type 1" or "Type 2", so they must be identified by the maximum resolution claimed by the manufacturer. Type 1 adapters will usually list a maximum of 1920×1080 or 1920×1200 at 60 Hz, while Type 2 adapters will support up to 1920×1080 120 Hz or 4K 30 Hz.

And quoting from the Amber DPH-14 (which is the expensive active DisplayPort to HDMI adapter that I first bought and doesn't work that I have to return it and get another one and still doesn't work) :

Amber DP Adapter Active
DisplayPort to HDMI 4K ; 
DP to HDMI 4K.
- DisplayPort 20-pin male to HDMI A 19-pin female, black color, 20 cm/7.87".
- Also named as DP to HDMI 4K.
- Support Windows computer with DP port output, notebook & desktop.
- Support the video content up to 4K (Ultra HD, 2160p), 3D Full HD & 1080p Full HD.
- Bus-powered. No external power required.
- Plug & Play. No driver installation is required.
- High quality material, and high quality assembly.

This, should be a Type 2 Active adapter isn't it? (or at the very least Type 2 Passive adapter?)

The fact that it doesn't work maybe because of something else, or out of pure bad luck: I received two defunct products.

I will try to re-return this product again.

EDIT: And following up from your previous answer, the inexpensive passive adapter was listed as "active" and the seller didn't even mentioned about it's maximum resolution. It does works, it shows up but it is limited to 1080p @50Hz. How dumb I am for not asking it's maximum resolution. I am sure it is just a generic chinese Type 1 passive adapter.

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, TenzoNakami said:

Wait a minute. Wait. Quoting from the pinned thread:

And quoting from the Amber DPH-14 (which is the expensive active DisplayPort to HDMI adapter that I first bought and doesn't work that I have to return it and get another one and still doesn't work) :

This, should be a Type 2 Active adapter isn't it? (or at the very least Type 2 Passive adapter?)

The fact that it doesn't work maybe because of something else, or out of pure bad luck: I received two defunct products.

I will try to re-return this product again.

EDIT: And following up from your previous answer, the inexpensive passive adapter was listed as "active" and the seller didn't even mentioned about it's maximum resolution. It does works, it shows up but it is limited to 1080p @50Hz. How dumb I am for not asking it's maximum resolution. I am sure it is just a generic chinese Type 1 passive adapter.

There are no Type 1 or Type 2 active adapters, those are just the two types of passive adapters. Active adapters could support or not support anything since they work entirely differently.

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

Type 1 and Type 2 only applies to passive adapters. Active adapters could support or not support anything.

What do you mean with could support or not support anything? It kinda spooks me.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, TenzoNakami said:

What do you mean with could support or not support anything? It kinda spooks me.

Note 1: Resolution and refresh frequency limitations on active adapters are subject to each individual product's limitations. Read the product description.

Just now, Glenwing said:

-snip-

Cool, since they listed that to supports up to 4K in god knows what refresh rate, they should works perfectly fine with a 2.5K resolution shouldn't they?

And just a suggestion (maybe Out of Topic tho) : Please put the "Notes" section above the "Comments on Active and Passive" since I definitely missed the "Notes" part due to my unwillingness to read those "Comments on Active and Passive".

Spoiler

1 minute ago, TenzoNakami said:

Cool, since they listed that to supports up to 4K in god knows what refresh rate, they should works perfectly fine with a 2.5K resolution shouldn't they?

And just a suggestion (maybe Out of Topic tho) : Please put the "Notes" section above the "Comments on Active and Passive" since I definitely missed the "Notes" part due to my unwillingness to read those "Comments on Active and Passive".

Should, but hard to say if it's a cheap off-brand one.

I'll put the comments in a spoiler on my next revision, thanks :)