RX580 stays at 300mhz at all times

maxR

So basically this began a few days ago, when I was fiddling around with MSI Afterburner. Whenever I changed anything / wanted to save new settings it always would result in setting my clock speeds to the lowest possible. So far easy, I thought, just reinstall MSI AB and that's it.

.. or not. I've reinstalled it and now I can't access the Power and Temp Limit (grayed out) and now my gpu just sits at 300 mhz for both GPU and Memory Clock. Resulting in me getting shitty fps.

Is there anything I can do?

Edit: I reinstalled my display drivers but the problem remains as seen on the picture (normally speeds should be around1430 core click and 2000 memory clock

Last Edit: I managed to fix it by installing an older version of my display drivers and uninstalling msi ab (just in case) - TY for all the people that tried to help me

x.PNG

full specs?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

is it covered in your warranty?

OOo 1050ti (cries in silence) -- Nath xD 

it's connected to power, right?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

@JDE R5 1600, 16GB at 2966 mhz and an XFX RX 580 8 GB

It's because MSI afterburner is looking at the deafult windows driver thingy.Just DDU and reinstall Crimson

My life

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

it's connected to power, right?

I've changed nothing since playing yesterday when I worked just fine

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

It's because MSI afterburner is looking at the deafult windows driver thingy.Just DDU and reinstall Crimson

I'll try that, lets hope it fixes it :x

2 minutes ago, maxR said:

@JDE R5 1600, 16GB at 2966 mhz and an XFX RX 580 8 GB

fulllllllll specs?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, JDE said:

fulllllllll specs?

well, r5 stock cooler, 1 intake and 1 exhaust fan, 1 250 gb ssd, 1 1tb hdd

CPU Sitting at stock Speeds

20 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Well, I DDU and reinstelled Crimson 17.7.2, started pubg but still, when I start it my GPU stays at 300mhz even though its under 100% load

57 minutes ago, maxR said:

So basically this began a few days ago, when I was fiddling around with MSI Afterburner. Whenever I changed anything / wanted to save new settings it always would result in setting my clock speeds to the lowest possible. So far easy, I thought, just reinstall MSI AB and that's it.

.. or not. I've reinstalled it and now I can't access the Power and Temp Limit (grayed out) and now my gpu just sits at 300 mhz for both GPU and Memory Clock. Resulting in me getting shitty fps.

Edit: I reinstalled my display drivers but the problem remains

x.PNG

uninstall msi afterburner. 
it fixes it
also, msi afterburner is broken with the driver youre on so idk why youre using it

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

2 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

uninstall msi afterburner. 
it fixes it
also, msi afterburner is broken with the driver youre on so idk why youre using it

well, it doesnt fix it. That shows in hwmonitor while running pubg

not fixed.PNG

I agree it's definitely a driver issue. If you over clock to far and get a crash this can happen. I've even had to go as far as using the onboard graphics to resolve the issue because DDU doesn't always work. But this is rare.

10 minutes ago, maxR said:

well, it doesnt fix it. That shows in hwmonitor while running pubg

not fixed.PNG

go into the settings and uncheck all of the boxes. also set all of the settings to default

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

• 1 year later...
On 8/19/2017 at 2:39 PM, maxR said:

Edit: I reinstalled my display drivers but the problem remains as seen on the picture (normally speeds should be around1430 core click and 2000 memory clock

Last Edit: I managed to fix it by installing an older version of my display drivers and uninstalling msi ab (just in case) - TY for all the people that tried to help me

x.PNG

Can i get steps on how you managed to fix it?

Just use DDU to remove all of the drivers in safe mode, then report back.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

What drivers did you use? I'm having the same issue here. Funny how this card is supposed to be factory oc... at 300 mhz :)

Have the exact same issue over here, i used DDU and installed new recommended drivers yet still the same issue, any help?

EDIT: I did some research and it turns out that appareantly my GPU uses power saving technique so basiaclly: When it is in idle it stays at 300mhz and when some program starts to use gpu, the lock turns off. Got this information from: 

// Intel I5 4590 @ 3.3Ghz // Gigabyte Aorus RX 580 XTR 8GB // ASRock H81 PRO BTC R2.0 // Lepa 500w  \

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Comic Sans ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• 1 year later...

I solve this problem , I just want to share to all. I am mining using Armor Rx 580 .

Radeon Software will crash and after I restart it will be in 300 MHZ .

I noticed the power cable will move out a bit because of intense heat I guess.  It happens 3 x and I just plug it back again. and back to normal default memory settings.

If this is not the problem For sure its about not powering the card properly. Hope this helps. :)