Range extender very unstable,

Extender: TP-Link RE200 AC750 Dual Band

So my router is on the first floor (and it cannot be moved), and I just bought a range extender in order to get internet up to the 3rd floor (where my room is). I found quite a good location, and managed to get a good 15-20mb for 2.4ghz and up to 40ghz for 5.0ghz signals. However, both seems to be very unstable. There is a lag spike every 5-10 seconds while gaming, and streaming isnt the best experience either (altho watching video and web browsing is ok).

I tested my connection dirrectly from my router, and both wired and wireless did not have this problem. I installed the new firmware for the extender and tried reseting and manually setting the IPs but it all gives similar results.
Am I doing something wrong? 

NOTE: The building is really old and big, so power lines are not a good option. 

10 minutes ago, Ruo94 said:

Extender: TP-Link RE200 AC750 Dual Band

So my router is on the first floor (and it cannot be moved), and I just bought a range extender in order to get internet up to the 3rd floor (where my room is). I found quite a good location, and managed to get a good 15-20mb for 2.4ghz and up to 40ghz for 5.0ghz signals. However, both seems to be very unstable. There is a lag spike every 5-10 seconds while gaming, and streaming isnt the best experience either (altho watching video and web browsing is ok).

I tested my connection dirrectly from my router, and both wired and wireless did not have this problem. I installed the new firmware for the extender and tried reseting and manually setting the IPs but it all gives similar results.
Am I doing something wrong? 

NOTE: The building is really old and big, so power lines are not a good option. 

I wouldn't recommend wifi extenders because they just broadcast an already weak signal. Have you tried powerline networking? It could probably work better than your wifi solution.To be honest I'd just run a cable and forget about all these problems but I realise that's not always possible.

I edit my posts a lot.

7 minutes ago, MrDrWho13 said:

I wouldn't recommend wifi extenders because they just broadcast an already weak signal. Have you tried powerline networking? It could probably work better than your wifi solution.To be honest I'd just run a cable and forget about all these problems but I realise that's not always possible.

i havent tried power line but my building is reeaaallllyy old. the wires would have to travell to the basement before going up to the 3rd floor. plus, the quality of the wire are highly questionable. 

Just now, Ruo94 said:

i havent tried power line but my building is reeaaallllyy old. the wires would have to travell to the basement before going up to the 3rd floor. plus, the quality of the wire are highly questionable. 

If you can't run a cable then I'd say it's your next best option even with the dodgy wiring. If you order from Amazon you could test to see if it works and return the kit if it doesn't

I edit my posts a lot.

I guess ill give it a try
What are the other options doh?

Id go with a powerline adapter. Your wires might be old but they can still hand the signal quite well. 

12 hours ago, Ruo94 said:

I guess ill give it a try
What are the other options doh?

If you have coax by your router and in a area that needs a better connection you can try Moca. If not then your left with Power line adapters. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.