CPU Bottlenecking

Hello!!!

my Friend GOT SUPER LUCKY. His friend Gave him a gaming PC for Free. He is out of town so I cannot get all of the specs

The specs I Know: GPU: GigaBit 1080

Mother Board: Crosshair V Formula

CPU: Unknown 

Ram: Unknown, Max 32 ddr 3

I am using Tom's hardware CPU Hierarchy ( I'm new into pcs so its my resource right now)

Just looking into the board, its a 2012.According to Asus.com , the best chip the Mother Board can support is the AMD FX 8300.

My friend's ultimate goal is to play Destiny 2 on this rig.  Which the Specs are listed below

Again according to the hierarchy the AMD FX 8300 is a little better then FX- 4350.

This is all assuming that the AMD FX 8300  is installed.

My questions are:

1. if the FX 8300 is installed about what level of detail can my friend play at?

2. If a lesser chip is installed what should he expect when he tries to play it?

3 What chips will work with Destiny 2 and his mother board?

Any help would greatly appreciated

Minimum Specs:

CPU:

• Intel - Core i3-3250
  • AMD - FX-4350

GPU:

• Nvidia - GeForce GTX 660 2GB
  • AMD - Radeon HD 7850 2GB

RAM

• 6GB

He'll be able to run the game okay-ish at low settings based on those minimum requirements. However, any FX series CPU will pretty heavily bottleneck a GTX 1080. I would highly recommend a motherboard and CPU upgrade.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

1. assuming the game is really GPU bound like shadow of mordor, max at 1080p or so, otherwise maybe medium/high if it is more CPU bound and high/very high if its in the middle

2. same as above but maybe one or two settings down a bit

3. any, hope for a 6/8 core.

he should really try to sell the motherboard and invest into ryzen; you can buy a 6 core for ~$200 or so.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Devs of Destiny 2 claims their game can use all CPU cores (up to 10), so an FX 8-core might not suck as much as it does on other games. This is just a "claim" though, and no one knows (other than the devs) whether the load is distributed in such a way that it doesn't hit the FX chips in the plums: their low single core performance.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Okay thanks for the input.. My suspicion are correct. medium ish to lowish according to the specs. and that's assuming the CPU is correct

1 minute ago, LittleShawnyboy said:

Okay thanks for the input.. My suspicion are correct. medium ish to lowish according to the specs. and that's assuming the CPU is correct

Yep.

However, with a CPU upgrade, you could turn that into Ultra very quickly. it would only cost around $300, and would give you an astronomical boost in performance.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

I know lol. Its my friend new rig. the friend that gave it to him says it will work just fine.

But Ideally Playing a AAA title with a 1080, shouldn't be bottlenecked by the Mother. I have no clue what you guys have played before but Destiny can get very hectic. A lot of enemies all firing, and you can play with up to 6 people in PvE.

I'm assuming its going to be fairly CPU intensive. Plus the specs are for a beta, not the full game. Which could make the already low settings he will play on even worse

2 minutes ago, Cortez242455 said:

Overclock that cpu like crazy it'll help.

1. not sure if the Mother board can do it.

2. Understand my friend and I are both very new to computer gaming. Its probably very easy but my main question was to see whether or not his rig will be hindered by that motherboard.

Thanks for the input

Any FX CPU will bottleneck the 1080 and up. Maybe even the 1070. I'd suggest a Ryzen 5 1600 with a B350 and 16GB of 3000 MHz RAM as an upgrade.

Just now, LittleShawnyboy said:

1. not sure if the Mother board can do it.

2. Understand my friend and I are both very new to computer gaming. Its probably very easy but my main question was to see whether or not his rig will be hindered by that motherboard.

Thanks for the input

if the board supports it... i'd give it a go... youtube has hundreds of guides and its super easy... its well worth it also. those chips will not really show there full colors till overclocked... just an idea

Just now, That_PC_Kid said:

Any FX CPU will bottleneck the 1080 and up. Maybe even the 1070. I'd suggest a Ryzen 5 1600 with a B350 and 16GB of 3000 MHz RAM as an upgrade.

Will the Ryzen 5 work with the mother?

Will the Ryzen 5 work with the mother?

No. You'd need a AM4 motherboard.

No. You'd need a AM4 motherboard.

I figured. I guess the main message I am trying to send to my friend,

Yes, you can play Destiny 2 Beta, but it will be low settings, with no guarantees that you can play it once the game is fully released

I figured. I guess the main message I am trying to send to my friend,

Yes, you can play Destiny 2 Beta, but it will be low settings, with no guarantees that you can play it once the game is fully released

Yeah. It's sad that the FX series CPU's are really bad. If you really wanted to though you could upgrade to the FX-8300. It will perform a lot better.

yes, well that's the Best Chip for that Board. Until I look at the machine, I have no clue whether or not he has it. So if its not an FX 8300 I should say be very cautious and do not get your hopes up?

1 minute ago, That_PC_Kid said:

Yeah. It's sad that the FX series CPU's are really bad. If you really wanted to though you could upgrade to the FX-8300. It will perform a lot better.

yes, well that's the Best Chip for that Board. Until I look at the machine, I have no clue whether or not he has it. So if its not an FX 8300 I should say be very cautious and do not get your hopes up?

Never get your hopes up with a FX series CPU. The GPU is really good though so if you plan on upgrading all together keep the GPU.

Never get your hopes up with a FX series CPU. The GPU is really good though so if you plan on upgrading all together keep the GPU.

That's what I am trying to say to him lol.

From what I understand he pretty much wants to play Destiny 2, overwatch, PUBG, and whatever else.

What type of price would an upgrade would it cost to get it somewhat more up to speed

side note :My future build  probably will not have a 1080. I'm jealous 

1 hour ago, That_PC_Kid said:

1 hour ago, That_PC_Kid said:

Such idiotic and misguided hatred for FX CPU's... My 8370 @4.5ghz runs every game i ever threw at him (ME:Andromeda/Crysis 3/Deus Ex/every CoD and Sniper Elite) max settings 50fps+ and most games at well over 80fps+. If you really have a FX-8300 figure out what motherboard and cooler you have and if possible overclock it. Yes it's weaker then Intel, yes there's a bottleneck but doesn't stop it from being more then enough to play any game nowadays at decent frame rates if you have a good GPU (which OP has). Save your money now to get a decent upgrade later on.

Destiny 2 definitely doesn't need a top of the line setup to play - https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/destiny-2/15764

Ryzen 3800x 4.4ghz 1.294v all core Noctua NH-D15 x570 Aorus Elite 16gb G.Skill Flare X 3600mhz 15-15-15-30 1T

XFX 5700 XT Thicc III Ultra Seasonic Focus+ 650w Platinum

13 hours ago, Kenrou said:

Such idiotic and misguided hatred for FX CPU's... My 8370 @4.5ghz runs every game i ever threw at him (ME:Andromeda/Crysis 3/Deus Ex/every CoD and Sniper Elite) max settings 50fps+ and most games at well over 80fps+. If you really have a FX-8300 figure out what motherboard and cooler you have and if possible overclock it. Yes it's weaker then Intel, yes there's a bottleneck but doesn't stop it from being more then enough to play any game nowadays at decent frame rates if you have a good GPU (which OP has). Save your money now to get a decent upgrade later on.

Destiny 2 definitely doesn't need a top of the line setup to play - https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/destiny-2/15764

It doesn't matter if The FX chips are good or not. The fact that his motherboard highest chip support is a bit better then the minimum CPU specs for Destiny 2.  

Until I see what chip it is, I am telling my friend, do not get your hopes up that it will run on high settings. Obviously, if the chips is lower then minimum it may not be playable

That is perfectly ok. For the most part even if the chip is lower then minimum it will still be plenty playable, but on lower settings/30fps-ish (like something you would play on an older laptop), so don't get hes hopes down too early  ;)

Ryzen 3800x 4.4ghz 1.294v all core Noctua NH-D15 x570 Aorus Elite 16gb G.Skill Flare X 3600mhz 15-15-15-30 1T

Oh I known, just who knows until he tries to play it. 

We are console (xbox) players, he fails to understand it's alot more complicated to be a pc gamer. 

Two questions then

1.  how does low( 30 fps) look in comparison to an xbox one? (Standard not the Xbox one s). To me playing on low sounds terrible. But as a console gamer I just don't know 

My 2 year old gaming laptop is working fine, in the right conditions.i play like Ark, rocket legaue, low end free mmos, etc.  But I do not do much gaming on it. My Nintendo switch has had my attention lol

2. I'm gradually moving toward building my first rig. Or buying a prebuilt. I do not have a monitor mouse or keyboard. Is it a better value to go buy a package at cyberpowerpc? Or wherever.

Just as a starting point to be upgraded at a later time?

1. Looks slower with slight stuttering depending on the hardware/demand. Higher refresh rate/fps will make games seem more fluid.

2. Your best best (and usually best price/performance) is to get all the parts separately from a dealer say amazon/newegg/ebay/whatever you have where you live. That way you get the joy of putting it all together, you know EXACTLY what you got if you run into issues and you will get certain deals on parts that you cant get with pre-builds (Black Friday for instance). If you browse through Amazon and make a list and hold it there for a few days it will show you if the price has gone up or down since you put the parts on watch, eBay usually has really good deals on used parts, etc. If you don't want the hassle just get pre-built from any computer shop.

Cool  thanks guys.

lol now onto my build.

I have a general question. What should I invest more on an machine, the Motherboard or the GPU? 

I plan on getting atleast a GTA 1070 range. I'm thinking an AMD RD Vega 56.

But if its more worthwhile to throw more money at a mother board/cpu I will. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Kenrou said:

1. Looks slower with slight stuttering depending on the hardware/demand. Higher refresh rate/fps will make games seem more fluid.

2. Your best best (and usually best price/performance) is to get all the parts separately from a dealer say amazon/newegg/ebay/whatever you have where you live. That way you get the joy of putting it all together, you know EXACTLY what you got if you run into issues and you will get certain deals on parts that you cant get with pre-builds (Black Friday for instance). If you browse through Amazon and make a list and hold it there for a few days it will show you if the price has gone up or down since you put the parts on watch, eBay usually has really good deals on used parts, etc. If you don't want the hassle just get pre-built from any computer shop.