CPU Bottlenecking

Really depends on what CPU you're getting, but rule of thumb if you're not planning on overclocking much you can get by with cheaper motherboards. Nowadays a really good price/performance combo for gaming would be the MSI B350 Tomahawk with a Ryzen 1500x/1600, GPU is where you will be spending the big bucks. The Vega from what i read is more of a "content creator" type GPU (like the 980ti, lots of CUDA cores) and needs more wattage then the 1070 for roughly the same gaming performance (although tweaks will happen in the future and this will likely change), so If i would have to pick one now i would go for the 1070. Strix, EVGA or MSI would be my picks in order.

Edited by Kenrou
Added comments

Ryzen 3800x 4.4ghz 1.294v all core Noctua NH-D15 x570 Aorus Elite 16gb G.Skill Flare X 3600mhz 15-15-15-30 1T

XFX 5700 XT Thicc III Ultra Seasonic Focus+ 650w Platinum

45 minutes ago, Kenrou said:

Really depends on what CPU you're getting, but rule of thumb if you're not planning on overclocking much you can get by with cheaper motherboards. Nowadays a really good price/performance combo for gaming would be the MSI B350 Tomahawk with a Ryzen 1500x/1600, GPU is where you will be spending the big bucks. The Vega from what i read is more of a "content creator" type GPU (like the 980ti, lots of CUDA cores) and needs more wattage then the 1070 for roughly the same gaming performance (although tweaks will happen in the future and this will likely change), so If i would have to pick one now i would go for the 1070. Strix, EVGA or MSI would be my picks in order.

So something like this?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3606581

Lol newegg has a bunch of bundles

That's it yes. Personally i would switch the case and PSU but that's a very good start  :)

Ryzen 3800x 4.4ghz 1.294v all core Noctua NH-D15 x570 Aorus Elite 16gb G.Skill Flare X 3600mhz 15-15-15-30 1T

Well I am not sure if I can change anything in that build. its a bundle thing.

the sale ends next week but not sure if I have the spare funds. its been an expensive summer

On 8/17/2017 at 0:00 AM, LittleShawnyboy said:

1. not sure if the Mother board can do it.

If can. It's one of the high end boards with AM3+ socket. It will run any FX CPU, including the FX-9xxx models (which are overclocked 8xxx).

On 8/17/2017 at 1:16 AM, Kenrou said:

If you really have a FX-8300 figure out what motherboard and cooler you have and if possible overclock it. 

It's the Crosshair V ;) he can just push the OC button and see what comes out :P

5 hours ago, LittleShawnyboy said:

lol now onto my build.

I have a general question. What should I invest more on an machine, the Motherboard or the GPU? 

It the purpose is gaming, the answer is the GPU. Just don't go overkill for the resolution and refresh rate you are going to game on (i.e., take into account your monitor). Vega 56 it GTX 1070 are great 1440p GPUs. If you plan to game at 1080p, you probably don't needed to spend that much money (sadly, the cheaper cards aren't that cheap these days due to mining, so beware). 

CPU comes second, just enough to feed your GPU at the right rate. 

Motherboard is the least important. Whatever can host your CPU, plus check for any feature you may need. 

Any FX CPU will bottleneck a GTX 960 and higher pretty much. Like I saw minimal fps improvement going from a R9 380 to a GTX 1070 w/ the FX-8350 lol...

5 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

If can. It's one of the high end boards with AM3+ socket. It will run any FX CPU, including the FX-9xxx models (which are overclocked 8xxx).

It's the Crosshair V ;) he can just push the OC button and see what comes out :P

Missed it thank you. The Crosshair V is indeed one of the higher end motherboards and it was made specifically with overclocking in mind so your m8 won't have any problems in that area. The cooling and PSU will be the limit.

3 hours ago, InfernalSurge said:

Any FX CPU will bottleneck a GTX 960 and higher pretty much. Like I saw minimal fps improvement going from a R9 380 to a GTX 1070 w/ the FX-8350 lol...

If the 8**** is overclocked a 1060 will be the bottleneck. A 4*** Will likely be a 950/960.