i7 980x still worth it?

well i seen your scores and these are mines and i have very expensive system and i seriously doubt you need an upgrade

cinebench on 4.5 ghz 1362 4.4 ghz 1333 point

59907dacbf7d0_cinebenchr15.JPG.5e626edd44426b96ca1577790bacbbac.JPG

and this is on 4.4ghz

cpu z.JPG

i shared this to tell you even if you go X99 you wont have that big performance increase obviously your system is old and never is better but your performance gain wont worth it only upgrade if you have money to spend

No keep it. Unless you are super competitive and need to squeeze every frame out.

It was the first 32nm chip and is stll awesome. I have a 980x 4790k and 5930k. All three are within spitting distance in gaming with my 1080ti, 980 sli and 970 sli.

when the fps changes ie go from 112 to 124 to 143 respectively . Do you really see the difference?

• 1 year later...

hey guys,

i posted this a couple years ago, and since have gotten a strix 1080 ti. i just thought i'd mention that i have noticed some slight cpu bottlenecking in some of the heavier games like wildlands. however, it is negligable.

i am still satisfied with the performance.. i still use it as a secondary gaming pc on the tv, or for guests.. however, i have also since the first post upgraded to to an 8700k... the performance difference is there, but when i am actually gaming.. i don't notice it. 

one thing to note is that i have also noticed some degradation on the cpu. meaning i had to add a little more voltage to hold the 4.4 GHz. i have also replaced the thermal compound on the heatsinks, helps a lot on the old motherboards. 

Edit: strix 1080... not a 1080 ti