Sennheiser Hd6 Mix Need Amp?

Super Tech Mike

I've been looking to buy the Hd6 Mix from Sennheiser lately, but I was wondering if they would require an amp to sound good running of say a smartphone. If I need an amp does anybody have a good budget recommendation?  

They would not require an amp, but as is the case with nearly all headphones, an amp will improve the experience. The 112dB SPL level allows a mobile device to drive them fairly loud, despite the 150 Ohm impedance. That being said, a smartphone would perhaps not be able to drive them loud enough for your personal taste. Regardless, a mobile DAC/amp would probably be recommended by most to improve the sound quality (the DAC built into most phones is inferior), as well as drive the HD6 louder more easily, and be compatible with any future headphone upgrades as well.

Well regarded portable amp/DAC combos include the Schiit Fulla 2 and Fiio E17K. Budget and specific requirements like USB vs DC input power can change the list of potential amps significantly. 

Hope this helps, 

Scott

9 minutes ago, Super Tech Mike said:

Thank you! That is a very big help. 

Anytime, 

Without knowing your current situation and needs, I would also suggest you consider the HD8 DJ, if you are in the market for the HD6. The HD8's have a lesser impedance (95 Ohm), and higher SPL level at 115. With the HD8's there is much less chance you would require an amplifier for using them on the go. My set of HD8's can be driven to near uncomfortable volume off any of my smartphones or laptops. Spending more on these, while not purchasing an amp to drive them may end up costing the same but providing a better and more convenient listening experience. 

Comes down to personal opinion alone. 

Cheers

2 hours ago, Minbari said:

Anytime, 

Without knowing your current situation and needs, I would also suggest you consider the HD8 DJ, if you are in the market for the HD6. The HD8's have a lesser impedance (95 Ohm), and higher SPL level at 115. With the HD8's there is much less chance you would require an amplifier for using them on the go. My set of HD8's can be driven to near uncomfortable volume off any of my smartphones or laptops. Spending more on these, while not purchasing an amp to drive them may end up costing the same but providing a better and more convenient listening experience. 

Comes down to personal opinion alone. 

Cheers

Just a few notes: Spl stand for sound pressure level. You don't need to say level after.

second, Db spl is not a proper unit for sensitivity, as you are using it.  should be something like db/mv, db/mw, or something similar.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

1 minute ago, spwath said:

Just a few notes: Spl stand for sound pressure level. You don't need to say level after.

second, Db spl is not a proper unit for sensitivity, as you are using it.  should be something like db/mv, db/mw, or something similar.

As the way Sennheiser expressed their SPL, they all use dB/1 Volt RMS. Regardless, in laymans terms the number and units themselves become irrelevant without performing calculations based on the specs of the amplifier you are considering. I merely present the two numbers for comparison to each other as they are not individually relevant data, but just to back up the argument that an HD8 can be driven to a higher volume from an equally powered source, potentially reducing or eliminating the need for a dedicated amp to carry around.

3 minutes ago, Minbari said:

As the way Sennheiser expressed their SPL, they all use dB/1 Volt RMS. Regardless, in laymans terms the number and units themselves become irrelevant without performing calculations based on the specs of the amplifier you are considering. I merely present the two numbers for comparison to each other as they are not individually relevant data, but just to back up the argument that an HD8 can be driven to a higher volume from an equally powered source, potentially reducing or eliminating the need for a dedicated amp to carry around.

still, should  use proper units. It can be dangerous to not, as they could be different Units, and not comparable.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Just now, spwath said:

still, should  use proper units. It can be dangerous to not, as they could be different Units, and not comparable.

Can be, but not in this case, so I omitted them for nothing more than simplicity of reading and somebody understanding the point. Obviously the safest bet is to include all possible information.

2 hours ago, Minbari said:

simplicity of reading

Omitting units DECREASES simplicity because the reader then has to take time to figure out what the meaning was.

Try to get it right next time.