Asus VS278

Swegly

I have this monitor and every where I look it says that the monitor may run at 75hz. My monitor is locked at 60hz in the control panel and I was wondering if this is due to me using an HDMI cable? Will using a DVI cable allow me to use 75hz?

CPU: i7 8700 GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 Ram: 16GB EVGA SuperSC SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: TX650M Case: NZXT S340 Elite OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech G403 Mouse Mat: HyperX Fury S Pro XL 
Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro S (reds) Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 Monitor: Asus 24' MG248QR Devices: IPhone 11 Pro Max + 13' Macbook Pro

8 minutes ago, Swegly said:

I have this monitor and every where I look it says that the monitor may run at 75hz. My monitor is locked at 60hz in the control panel and I was wondering if this is due to me using an HDMI cable? Will using a DVI cable allow me to use 75hz?

it means the monitor can be overclocked by using nvidias control panel to create a custom resolution or amds equivalent.

my old acer 60hz could be overclocked to around 75hz also.

9 minutes ago, MrJarhead said:

it means the monitor can be overclocked by using nvidias control panel to create a custom resolution or amds equivalent.

my old acer 60hz could be overclocked to around 75hz also.

oh ok thanks so I can overclock it with an hdmi cable and have no issue?

CPU: i7 8700 GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 Ram: 16GB EVGA SuperSC SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: TX650M Case: NZXT S340 Elite OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech G403 Mouse Mat: HyperX Fury S Pro XL 
Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro S (reds) Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 Monitor: Asus 24' MG248QR Devices: IPhone 11 Pro Max + 13' Macbook Pro

1 minute ago, Swegly said:

oh ok thanks so I can overclock it with an hdmi cable and have no issue?

Any decent cable would do. If you go beyond 75Hz you might see some ghosting and reduced lifespan of your display but I haven't seen many cases of monitor damage from overclocking, they'll force you to revert to something they can handle 

5 minutes ago, light-v said:

Any decent cable would do. If you go beyond 75Hz you might see some ghosting and reduced lifespan of your display but I haven't seen many cases of monitor damage from overclocking, they'll force you to revert to something they can handle 

I was able to get it to 66hz before it said out of range. Are you sure I wouldnt be able to get it to 75hz at least with a DVI cable because I remember reading somewhere that an hdmi cable does not have as much bandwidth to support higher HZ. 

1 minute ago, Swegly said:

I was able to get it to 66hz before it said out of range. Are you sure I wouldnt be able to get it to 75hz at least with a DVI cable because I remember reading somewhere that an hdmi cable does not have as much bandwidth to support higher HZ. 

Ah yes that could be true but my MX239H can hit 74Hz before out of range but I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable since it only has 2 HDMI ports 

2 minutes ago, light-v said:

Ah yes that could be true but my MX239H can hit 74Hz before out of range but I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable since it only has 2 HDMI ports 

ah ok, Im using an HDMI - HDTV. Maybe if I get a DVI cable I can push an extra 10HZ?

Just now, Swegly said:

ah ok, Im using an HDMI - HDTV. Maybe if I get a DVI cable I can push an extra 10HZ?

Worth a try especially if it said 75Hz on the box

13 minutes ago, light-v said:

Worth a try especially if it said 75Hz on the box

I cant remember what it said on the box and I bought the monitor years ago, though every website I look on says that its capable of that. Im definitely going to give it a shot and if it doesnt work ill just return the cable. Though I only gained a 10% HZ increase I already notice a slight difference ingame.

6 minutes ago, Swegly said:

I cant remember what it said on the box and I bought the monitor years ago, though every website I look on says that its capable of that. Im definitely going to give it a shot and if it doesnt work ill just return the cable. Though I only gained a 10% HZ increase I already notice a slight difference ingame.

Yup 65-70Hz is quite noticeable already but you hit diminishing returns when ghosting start to be very noticeable