Solved: Psu making clicking sound

G510Gamer

Hi I just bought a new pc and I went to turn it on but after I hit the button all it did was make a click after some component unplugging I narrowed it down to the psu and I threw away the box and I don't have any receipt for it 

It's a corsair hx1000i and it's 8 months old 

4 minutes ago, G510Gamer said:

Hi I just bought a new pc and I went to turn it on but after I hit the button all it did was make a click after some component unplugging I narrowed it down to the psu and I threw away the box and I don't have any receipt for it 

It's a corsair hx1000i and it's 8 months old 

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/support/warranty

13 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

How good is corsairs warranty? Don't they need a receipt?

Also to OP, if your PSU is making a clicking sound I believe that is the relays inside of the power supply turning on and off. This usually happens when there is a short internally or externally with the power supply and the relay switching is over-current protection kicking in. 

This isn't something you can fix yourself without a PSU schematic and some soldering (well I guess you could do it without a schematic). the point is try to RMA the thing, it's not worth it to fix yourself if its still under warranty

If there's a short it's not necessarily always internal. Any of the cables plugged into it could be shorting on something. That's user repairable.

You didn't use any cables from some other psu right?  

I've done that before I knew the pin locations aren't the same for all modular cables between different brands.  Whenever I used the wrong cable, the psu would just make some clicking noises and not allow the PC the power up.

5 hours ago, CUDA_Cores said:

I am confused. So you turn on the computer and you hear a click, then it powers off?

Yes

4 hours ago, Jaker788 said:

You didn't use any cables from some other psu right?  

I've done that before I knew the pin locations aren't the same for all modular cables between different brands.  Whenever I used the wrong cable, the psu would just make some clicking noises and not allow the PC the power up.

All are original corsair cables 

4 hours ago, CUDA_Cores said:

In that case the best thing to try would be to unplug everything and turn on the PSU with the "paperclip" trick.

I'll try that