Ad supported gaming console?

DaltonM

My idea is for a gaming box that's subsidized in price by ads. Like Amazon's fire tablets and phones. 

It would be a modest 4k gaming machine that requires an internet connection. It would be 4th console player in my mind, capturing AAA third party games. The Atari box kind of got me thinking of it.

Its online play and features would be free, and the main draw of the system is a free game a week and free DLC (season pass/expansions) for every game on the system.

But the catch is: ADs. In between games of CoD you're shown a short video ad in the loading screen. 
At the start of The Witcher 3 you watch a 30s ad once, and then see banner ads in the menus.
Perhaps even an ad every 5 hours no matter what too. 

I know what you're thinking, why don't I just play offline to get rid of ads? It would have to disable all DLC and perhaps make the games only available to the user who bought them.

So is free online service and DLC convincing enough to have commercials in your games?

Eh I'd probably rather pay 60 a year since I hate ads with a passion

I can't see people tolerating it personally.  I can even imagine kids laughing at their friend who has one instead of just getting an xbox

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I think it's viable enough and budget conscious people would definitely go this route. but it would need cross platform to be more available first. so as not to ostracize different player bases and make it a more appealing options since players will still be able to game with their friends

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

The problem is that the customers are given a lifetime supply of those ads. Most reviewers that I came across regarding say the Kindle with Offers isn't worth not saving the extra $50 or whatever, because you're stuck with those ads forever (or until you pay the "I don't want ads" fee).

You'd basically have to make the cost so low that it would be worth someone to live with it for say 3-4 years. If you're slashing the cost of the console or the games by say... 20%, then I don't think that's worth it. I paid Best Buy $35 for a two year membership thing that includes 20% off new games and it basically paid for itself on my third transaction.

Though maybe this might appeal to someone who's extremely budget conscious, but I'm also under the impression if you cannot afford the extra say $50 from a $400 machine (so you're really paying $350) or even say $12 from a $60 game, I don't think you should be spending that kind of money at the moment.

Didn't the OUYA try that and fail miserably? (or whatever it ended up being called)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

8 hours ago, DaltonM said:

My idea is for a gaming box that's subsidized in price by ads. Like Amazon's fire tablets and phones. 

It would be a modest 4k gaming machine that requires an internet connection. It would be 4th console player in my mind, capturing AAA third party games. The Atari box kind of got me thinking of it.

Its online play and features would be free, and the main draw of the system is a free game a week and free DLC (season pass/expansions) for every game on the system.

But the catch is: ADs. In between games of CoD you're shown a short video ad in the loading screen. 
At the start of The Witcher 3 you watch a 30s ad once, and then see banner ads in the menus.
Perhaps even an ad every 5 hours no matter what too. 

I know what you're thinking, why don't I just play offline to get rid of ads? It would have to disable all DLC and perhaps make the games only available to the user who bought them.

So is free online service and DLC convincing enough to have commercials in your games?

maybe have a paid option to disable the ads (and good luck getting any AAA game studios to support free DLC.)

From a business point of view, I don't see this working quite as well. The idea has been tried before for internet service offerings and other services. 

The problem with the concept from a business point of view is most would end up being low incoming users such as young kids or money strapped college students. They don't have the disposable incoming to buy a console so why bother spending money to advertise to that audience. The larger disposable incoming audience would be on more traditional platforms and therefore advertising platforms they'd see -- youtube, TV, internet -- is more effective to convert ad-viewers to customers. That is, after all, the intention.

Don't get me wrong, it might work for a bit of time but it'd die off. Ad supported games on mobile phones is a better concept for this. 

With all the respect... Everyone says that when questioning. No, seriously, everybody. But at the end of the day, how many of us have floatplane? Youtube red? Is not only here, people always say they'd prefer something without ads... but then you have to pay, and most people prefer free average stuff rather than premium fewer stuff.

19 hours ago, Tiz said:

With all the respect... Everyone says that when questioning. No, seriously, everybody. But at the end of the day, how many of us have floatplane? Youtube red? Is not only here, people always say they'd prefer something without ads... but then you have to pay, and most people prefer free average stuff rather than premium fewer stuff.

It's because those are subscription based products. I.e. they require constant payment. So either you can constantly pay or have ads.

The idea OP is presenting seems to be more like buying the Kindle With Offers vs not. You're saving $20 (which is about 15% of the original price) to have ads delivered to your device.

All I have to say is. You should not have to pay for online already. None the less start interrupting single player games with ads. That seems stupid. Real stupid.:|