Before buying Dell S2417G, few questions

Mercador

Hello,

I look around for monitors lately since I got a new PC with a GTX1070. The best monitor seems to be the Dell S2417G but before pulling the trigger, I have a few questions that you might be able to answer:

1. -          Is the GTX1070 is strong enough to run 1440p at 144hz?
  2. -          Otherwise, is Gsync will help it to keep it steady?
  3. -          I guess Gsync isn’t mandatory right now as the GPU is powerful for current games but in a few years, it will allow to keep fluidity as far as I understand (I kept my current PC for almost 10 years so I guess it worth investing on a good monitor), am I correct?
  4. -          Is 1440p is overkill for 24 inches ? I got limited space
  5. -          What about the colors? It seems IPS is way better display, is there any IPS 144hz on the way ?

Thanks a lot

- GTX 1070 may not be strong enough for 1440p Ultra on all games but on High, it should be plenty. I used to play with GTX 1060 on High/Medium and it was good enough for 80-100FPS in most modern games.

- 24" is fine for 1440p.

- IPS would be definitely better than TN but Dell has pretty good TN so it shouldn't be an issue.

- If you own other monitors which have lower refresh rate than the G-Sync 144Hz, prepare for massive stuttering when playing in Borderless/Windowed mode on the 144Hz G-Sync monitor (Full Screen is fine).

I have only one monitor. Currently Syncmaster T220. I wish I could put the 1070 on good use.

What if I drop the resolution to fullhd, will it still display great or distorted?

1. It depends on the game. You will probably be able to run CS:GO and Overwatch(with slightly lower settings) at 1440p/144hz but something like The Witcher 3 only gets around 60fps with a 1070 at 1440p/Ultra
  2. Gsync will eliminate tearing, which is the issue you'd otherwise have
  3. As mentioned, Gsyncs main point is to eliminate tearing without having to enable vsync(and thereby limiting your FPS and introducing input lag).
  4. I think 1440p is kinda overkill for 24". It's very subjective though so you might not agree.
  5. IPS definitely has better colors and the colors will not distort based on your viewing angle. That said, I've heard lots of good things about the Dell TN panels. There are some 1440p/144hz Gsync monitors(I have one), but those I know are 27" and are kinda expensive(~600$-700$+).

"I think 1440p is kinda overkill for 24". It's very subjective though so you might not agree."

Actually, I was looking for a FullHD@144hz but none fits on my desk.