More fans can make a computer hotter?

lexidobe

I saw this video and have been wondering about this ever sense. Carey has always gave good information in the  past, so I trust him on this, but it does not make any sense at all to me. Can someone please explain? Thanks!

he is probably talking about a high number of fans 6+, so it doesn't apply for most people 

Just now, cj09beira said:

he is probably talking about a high number of fans 6+, so it doesn't apply for most people 

Still though, would 6+ fans make a computer hotter?

Just now, lexidobe said:

Still though, would 6+ fans make a computer hotter?

Depends on the PC.If it was something like a server which has rows upon rows of fans no.But in a regular case it could by messing up the wind currents if you don't plan it correctly

My life

6 minutes ago, lexidobe said:

I saw this video and have been wondering about this ever sense. Carey has always gave good information in the  past, so I trust him on this, but it does not make any sense at all to me. Can someone please explain? Thanks!

After a certain point more airflow can't make the system cooler.  At that point, you're adding heat from the fans and PSU and not taking it away.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

I skipped to a part and happened to land on "... your fan motors get hot and you're adding heat to your system." Assuming the friction of bearings on the fans are of no concern, then all of the heat is coming from the power consumed by the fans. So technically yes, you are adding heat to the computer.

However does it really matter? Well if we take a random fan, say https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103052, it consumes about 2W. If you have 5 fans, you're at 10W, which is about the same amount of power as most modern flagship phones will happily eat up. Does charging your phone appreciably heat up your room over time?

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

After a certain point more airflow can't make the system cooler.  At that point, you're adding heat from the fans and PSU and not taking it away.

That makes sense, once the temp in the case is ambient temp, more airflow won't make it cooler.

8 minutes ago, lexidobe said:

That makes sense, once the temp in the case is ambient temp, more airflow won't make it cooler.

yes but unless you are in some super extreme case it wont even be noticable. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

i would add that heat added by a fan is very small. the more important factor is how well air is being directed over hot components. too many fans will cause dead zones around the pci slots. if you look at the phanteks p400 for example; if you put a intake on front-top and a exhaust on top-front air will not go anywhere near the motherboard

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

On 19.7.2017 at 1:09 AM, lexidobe said:

Which is why even water cooling can't make components cooler than ambient. But you'd need closed system where only fans handle air movement to notice anything. With modern case you have vents everywhere. So rather than making everything hotter, there's a point after which adding fans doesn't matter in terms of cooling performance.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv