Should I buy an Intel Xeon X5650?

X56** or not?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. X56** or not?

• Xeon X5650/X5660/X5670
    • Xeon E3
    • something else (pls tell me why)

I want to build a cheap workstation PC which I'll mainly use for video editing for the next two years and I did some research today and stepped over the Xeon X5650/X5660/X5670 which only cost about 30 - 50€ used where I live. I would have already bought one of them in combination with a X58 mainboard which a friend of mine will be selling but then I saw that the power consumption of these CPUs is pretty high. The reason why this is a problem for me is because I want to use this PC as a server/NAS in two years. Can I reduce the power draw to a point where it is comparable to a somewhat modern Xeon E3 if I lower the clockspeed and voltage and maybe even disable 2 cores or should I go with a Xeon E3 which is way more expensive right away? ^^

What power limit do you need? What is the reason the X56xx chip can't work as a server/nas in stock form I.e. what level of power consumption is acceptable for you?

Newer tech generally uses less power than older tech. I have no idea how much power my X5675 uses, either stock or at a healthy overclock....mostly because power's cheap and for how little the computer is used I don't have to care.

18 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

What power limit do you need? What is the reason the X56xx chip can't work as a server/nas in stock form I.e. what level of power consumption is acceptable for you?

Newer tech generally uses less power than older tech. I have no idea how much power my X5675 uses, either stock or at a healthy overclock....mostly because power's cheap and for how little the computer is used I don't have to care.

A bare system without a GPU or anything that could use a lot of power draws 115W at idle and 180W at load when the CPU is not overclocked according to PCGamesHardware which is quite a bit more then I'd like. I'd really like to stay bellow 100W or even 50W if possible when there is just a website or something similar running on the server.

X58 is not place for you if you want low power draw.. 

Xeons like E3 are usually good, but for video editing you can use a bit high core clock (im not expert tho).

If you want x58 combo with motherboard, cpu ram and cooler will cost you probably 200$ (or around that because 1366 mobo is 100$ or more)

I would suggest you r5 1600, it is 65w TDP (yes i know TDP is not whole power draw), but is 50% less then xeon, and has same amount of cores and threads as xeon, higher clock, comes with good cooler, it is new platform which you can reuse after some time..

IDK about power draw, but I love my Xeon X5680. You might want to upgrade to a higher clock speed though, especially if it is an OEM dual socket with no OC ability.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

XEON E3 or Ryzen 5 1600. Just because your on a budget just doesn't mean you have to go under-powered.