Get KabyLake or wait for CoffeeLake?

Im on the market for a new system, I have the Case,SSD,HDD,PSU and cooler.

What im thinking is if i get  7700k now will the upcoming coffee lake will have much difference?

since kabylake is an update for skylake which does not have a lot of performance boost.

my other choice is get a ryzen 5 and replace it with coffeelake when it is release in market?

what do you guys think?

Should I get 7700k now?

Ryzen  5 3600 | ASUS Strix B450i Strix | G-Skill Trident Z RGB 16gb 3200mhz

Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super OC | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500gb | NZXT H200i | NZXT x52 | Corsair RM650x

Depends on when it actually comes out, and when/what you can afford. Otherwise you could wait forever on something better.

3 minutes ago, TheGleaner said:

Depends on when it actually comes out, and when/what you can afford. Otherwise you could wait forever on something better.

kabylake was release early this year,so maybe im better off with 7700k now

Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super OC | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500gb | NZXT H200i | NZXT x52 | Corsair RM650x

Just now, RyeIII said:

kabylake was release early this year,so maybe im better off with 7700k now

Also Intel may* react to amd. *probably not

Here's what I've been planning. I've been looking into both Kaby Lake and Skylake-X as well as a bit into Broadwell-E for my next upgrade. I'm going from a Core i5-4690K @4.2GHz and have thought about whether or not I should stay with 4 cores with increased frequency or 6 cores with decreased frequency. I'm planning on doing a lot of video editing as well as some possible VR gaming in the future and have been thinking hard about what I want to do. I've kept my eye on Coffee Lake because rumor has it that the flagship CPU, a possible "Core i7-8700K", will have 6 cores and 12 threads but will still stay on the mainstream platform meaning not too big of a price hike. At the moment, I can get a full 7700K, Z270, and 32GB DDR4 upgrade for about $850 from a computer components retailer that I love if I go with open box parts. 

TL;DR I'm planning on waiting a short while to see if Coffee Lake comes out before school starts back up (late August). If it does and truly performs 30% faster than Kaby Lake then I'm going with Coffee Lake. Otherwise Kaby Lake on sale is not a bad idea in my case.

No, it won't. And don't buy a ryzen 5 chip. You would get worse frame rates in games then what you do now. I'm not saying the i7 7700k is bad when I say worse, neither am I saying that ryzen 5 is bad. It's just that right now, for gaming, you will better framrates with a 7700k, then what you would with a ryzen 5. 

The reason for the bolding is cause every time I say that I get death threats and brick thrown through my window.

PC SPECS

CPU: i5 4690k OC 4.4Ghz

GPU: GTX 1070 Strix OC 

Storage: 1TB HDD, 240GB sandisk SSD

Cooling: NZXT Kraken x61

Case: NZXT S340 elite

PSU: EVGA BQ 650W

Motherboard: Asus - B85M-G R2.0 Micro ATX

RAM: 8x2 (16Gb) Generic kingston ddr3 1600

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gotta love that comic sans am I right?

I love to joke around,i'm not at all a professional.

I'd hardly call a 7700k an improvement over the 6700k.

There's a reason I gave Ryzen a shot when I gave my GF the 6700k rig. :v

I'm in the same boat, and since I'm already using a 6700k, I'll just wait for Coffee Lake to be released. 

2 minutes ago, fordsrmaster said:

I'm in the same boat, and since I'm already using a 6700k, I'll just wait for Coffee Lake to be released. 

Its better for you to wait, skylake to kabylake would be a waste. i don't have a running system now thats why I need to get one

With more cores there should be significant performance improvements. Wait for the 8700K the 7700K is not worth the "upgrade".

6600k is more than enough for current-gen gaming, I say wait for coffee lake or Zen 2.

Just go for x299 now if you need a new system, only if the old Rig is not up gradable or what ever, there are no cheap used Xeon's, you need some cheap x299 CPU for it now, till coffee lake is here. I would not go for 7700k kaby build now, why buy an old board if you are willing to upgrade?

If you are planning in keeping your GTX 1060, upgrading your CPU will make no sense for gaming.

But if you want to do multitasking, and upgrade your GPU, I would get a R7 1700 or a R5 1600.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

Just now, RuLeZ said:

If you are planning in keeping your GTX 1060, upgrading your CPU will make no sense for gaming.

But if you want to do multitasking, and upgrade your GPU, I would get a R7 1700 or a R5 1600.

As I mentioned on the post, 

4 hours ago, RyeIII said:

I have the Case,SSD,HDD,PSU and cooler

also this is a totally different system, not the one mentioned on my signature.

For me, it costs $370 CAD for Ryzen 1600x plus motherboard. 7700k plus motherboard is $600. Easy answer. High frame rate gaming is the ONLY reason for i7-7700k, and I'd argue that also makes no sense, as high frame rates can be better achieved through video card or setting changes. Who cares about a few fps with fixed settings. My friend went on and on about his 5 fps achievement through his CPU change. I changed VXAO ambient occlusion to HBAO+ and achieved 5 fps higher than him with no difference in picture quality.

Edited by AlistairA
was AO change, not shadow