Dual Pentium 2 300Mhz

Specs:

Diamond Micronics Helios MB

512 MB SDRAM 100MHz FSB

10GB IDE seagate hardrive

Pinacle 4MB pci graphics card

dual P2 300mhz at 66mhz fsb 

YES i know this is old and you guys are probably wondering WTH, using such an old board and parts! Well, its for fun and plus, its a challenge for me to figure out what is the problem and how to fix it!

Here is the problem, the BIOS detects and boots with both CPUs installed, but winxp x86 loops immediately upon the XP splash screen, no option for safe mode and no BSOD! It is a continuous loop!

I have changed cpu slots and tested a 3rd p2! the exact same thing, endless rebooting! I can use 1 cpu and winxp boots with no issues!

I tested 3 different Pentium 2s using one cpu and had no problems! What could be the issue! 

Odd thing is, Win 98SE boots perfect with one or two cpus but of course it doesnt utilize the second CPU!

thank you!

I don't remember 98SE or XP having multi-processor support. Give Windows Server 2003 a try. That should have multi-processor support

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Oh man, I'm getting some 'member berries out of this one. Do let us know how you fare with it. It is a nice little electronics project.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

I forgot to mention, I am using winxp pro, and i could be wrong, but i remember reading on the microsoft website and i believe the home edition does NOT support multiple processors, but the professional version does! I will check to be sure!

3 minutes ago, beetlespin79 said:

I forgot to mention, I am using winxp pro, and i could be wrong, but i remember reading on the microsoft website and i believe the home edition does NOT support multiple processors, but the professional version does! I will check to be sure!

That sounds a little more likely actually. Pretty sure I do recall a couple of balls multi-cpu machines back in the XP days.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

Here is the odd thing, the board is only rated at 450mhz max cpu, but you can use a slot to socket 370 adapter and run a P3! if i can get this board to boot using both p2s, im going to see what is the fastest p3 this board can handle and will it boot with dual p3s! 

20 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

I don't remember 98SE or XP having multi-processor support. Give Windows Server 2003 a try. That should have multi-processor support

XP Pro has multi CPU support, as does Windows NT and 2K.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-hardware/multi-core-processor-and-multiprocessor-limit-for/abd0a0ce-4ac2-484b-88cb-fbf93beb54e0

xp pro would be needed to run there.

also a valid used case for that machine with stock coolers:

bake eggs on it. or funnel the air into a box or sth. to create an oven.

Just now, beetlespin79 said:

Here is the odd thing, the board is only rated at 450mhz max cpu, but you can use a slot to socket 370 adapter and run a P3! if i can get this board to boot using both p2s, im going to see what is the fastest p3 this board can handle and will it boot with dual p3s! 

It could in theory handle PIII 1GHz. However the FSBUS speed will be a rather large limiter even if the adaptor allows you to set a different one for the CPU.

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

It could in theory handle PIII 1GHz. However the FSBUS speed will be a rather large limiter even if the adaptor allows you to set a different one for the CPU.

you are correct the max fsb is only 100mhz! 

12 minutes ago, beetlespin79 said:

i can recall windows XP OEM labels stating licensed for 1-2 CPUs so im pretty sure it supports multiple CPUs

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Don't know what you plan to do with it but there will be very little you can do using both CPU's. Anything on the consumer side of things started using 2 threads long after those were released. If you try to run anything on them you'll get errors saying they dont support a certain instruction set.

I know this because i have a dual P3 1GHz system myself and i tried lots of things with it. I only managed to get cinebench 2013 to run and it wasn't very fast either :P. The P2 was way before winXP as well so there might be compatiblilty problems there. Try using windows server 2000 or just windows 2000, you might have better luck there.

I have no signature

2 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-hardware/multi-core-processor-and-multiprocessor-limit-for/abd0a0ce-4ac2-484b-88cb-fbf93beb54e0

xp pro would be needed to run there.

also a valid used case for that machine with stock coolers:

bake eggs on it. or funnel the air into a box or sth. to create an oven.

Yes i have the tower laying sideways with the side panel off and a 120mm fan blowing directly down!

Just now, beetlespin79 said:

Yes i have the tower laying sideways with the side panel off and a 120mm fan blowing directly down!

sounds legit enough :-)

1 minute ago, Helly said:

Don't know what you plan to do with it but there will be very little you can do using both CPU's. Anything on the consumer side of things started using 2 threads long after those were released. If you try to run anything on them you'll get errors saying they dont support a certain instruction set.

I know this because i have a dual P3 1GHz system myself and i tried lots of things with it. I only managed to get cinebench 2013 to run and it wasn't very fast either :P. The P2 was way before winXP as well so there might be compatiblilty problems there. Try using windows server 2000 or just windows 2000, you might have better luck there.

I think i will try windows 2k! thank you!

This is just a project i thought i could have a little fun with! i bought the board, which came with 128mb ram and one 300mhz p2 for $15 off of the most relaible and honest people of any website, EBAY! lol! 

18 minutes ago, beetlespin79 said:

you are correct the max fsb is only 100mhz! 

In that case, go for the P3 1000 with a 100MHz FSB. BTW use an adaptor and not the actual slot 1 Pentium III 1000, they will work but will be automatically set to 2V. Which would kill them if they get any where near as hot as my PIII 650 when run on an old Pentium II/Celeron board.

PMSL

found that out quick, this boad FRIED two seperate p2 400mhz! i do not know why, so i decided to just stay with the p2 300mhz