R9 280 getting 82°C, still safe?

JorenBus

So it's very hot right now where I live (around 35°C, which is very unusal), and when I'm playing Overwatch my tems are around 82°C and 70-80% usage.

I have 2 intake and 2 outtake fans in my S340 case, so I don't think I can improve my airflow, my fan filters have recently been cleaned.

Is this still safe?

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

1 minute ago, JorenBus said:

So it's very hot right now where I live (around 35°C, which is very unusal), and when I'm playing Overwatch my tems are around 82°C and 70-80% usage.

I have 2 intake and 2 outtake fans in my S340 case, so I don't think I can improve my airflow, my fan filters have recently been cleaned.

Is this still safe?

GTX 480's ran at 91+°C, I've overclcocked GPU's to breaking point at 80°C, it's fine. 

Yours faithfully

For that kind of ambient temp, that card, that's actually on the chill side. All good, but I wouldn't push it much past 85 if you can help it. Might be worth replacing the thermal paste with something better if you really want to. Alternatively, if you aren't already doing it, custom fan curve is the way to go during that summer sizzle.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

1 minute ago, LooneyJuice said:

For that kind of ambient temp, that card, that's actually on the chill side. All good, but I wouldn't push it much past 85 if you can help it. Might be worth replacing the thermal paste with something better if you really want to. Alternatively, if you aren't already doing it, custom fan curve is the way to go during that summer sizzle.

Already set a custom fan curve, it's getting pretty loud.

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

30 minutes ago, JorenBus said:

Already set a custom fan curve, it's getting pretty loud.

'Tis the curse of high ambient and 280. Nothing against the 280, the 200 series just definitely ran a little toastier, and I'm sure the thermal paste is getting a little long in the tooth. The only other thing I can think of is some fresh thermal paste if you're willing to go there. It can actually net you quite a few degrees. Some MX-4 replacing 3-4 year old paste can be quite refreshing. Not to mention that you can give the whole cooler a good clean while you're at it. That is if you're really paranoid about running 80-85, otherwise you should be pretty okay.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

24 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

'Tis the curse of high ambient and 280. Nothing against the 280, the 200 series just definitely ran a little toastier, and I'm sure the thermal paste is getting a little long in the tooth. The only other thing I can think of is some fresh thermal paste if you're willing to go there. It can actually net you quite a few degrees. Some MX-4 replacing 3-4 year old paste can be quite refreshing. Not to mention that you can give the whole cooler a good clean while you're at it. That is if you're really paranoid about running 80-85, otherwise you should be pretty okay.

I'm not really paranoid, but my case fans are running at very low speeds (shitty fans). So I might buy some new fans and I'm sure it would cut off a few degrees.

It won't kill it, but I would personally do as others have said and turn up the fan/fans a notch or two. I prefer to keep my cards down into the 70's.