Second low end gpu for extra monitors

rockon5622

I currently have a 1080 powering 4 monitors. Not all are for gaming. I use a projector and such all connected to pc. Would getting a low end card to add not in sli allow for more panels?

Are there other options?

It would allow for more monitors to be connected, yes. Just in case you're doing this with the aim of gaining performance, the difference it makes running extra monitors is negligible.

there's GPUs specificly for this purpose, if you have a lot of money to blow.

Matrox-C900-Graphics-Card-3x3-Video-Wall

this beauty will do up to 9 4K panels...

if you have about 2000 bucks to blow at it xD

--

but what i'd recommend is to scout for single slot cards, and if you search very good.. you can even find pcie 1x cards cheaply.

3 minutes ago, rockon5622 said:

I currently have a 1080 powering 4 monitors. Not all are for gaming. I use a projector and such all connected to pc. Would getting a low end card to add not in sli allow for more panels?

Are there other options?

If you had iGPU on CPU then you could slap on iGPU multi monitor but you are here where you are and I would recommend to slap in RX 560.

My Rig : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MTBd2R

My VM Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rPR6gL

My Backup Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRQYYr

My Storage Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tzzR9W

My Router : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bMPN4C

My Laptop : Lenovo Z575 with 6 GB RAM (1866 MHz), Crucial MX300 525 GB & Western Digital 2 TB (Removed optical drive)

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It would allow for more monitors to be connected, yes. Just in case you're doing this with the aim of gaining performance, the difference it makes running extra monitors is negligible.

I want to use 5+ monitors at the same time.

I dont have an igpu. I run sandy bridge-e

1 minute ago, rockon5622 said:

I want to use 5+ monitors at the same time.

Have you tried using a DisplayPort MST hub? It should allow multiple monitors off a single DP (up to 4 1080p displays). That said, they may cost around the same as a small GPU. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Have you tried using a DisplayPort MST hub? It should allow multiple monitors off a single DP (up to 4 1080p displays). That said, they may cost around the same as a small GPU. 

I couldnt figure out which to get. Also i right now run 4k with a few 1080ps. Do I have the vram for this?

1 minute ago, rockon5622 said:

I couldnt figure out which to get. Also i right now run 4k with a few 1080ps. Do I have the vram for this?

framebuffer is neglible VRAM wise..

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

framebuffer is neglible VRAM wise..

Ok so what do i look for in a hub.

2 minutes ago, rockon5622 said:

It makes very little difference in terms of vRAM usage. I did a bunch of testing with multiple monitors and gaming (3x 1080p and 1x 4K) in pretty much every configuration. Found that just running the monitors makes no difference to GPU load or performance, it's pretty much entirely based on what programs you're actually running.

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

It makes very little difference in terms of vRAM usage. I did a bunch of testing with multiple monitors and gaming (3x 1080p and 1x 4K) in pretty much every configuration. Found that just running the monitors makes no difference to GPU load or performance, it's pretty much entirely based on what programs you're actually running.

The 4k is for games, the others are for videos, chats, livestreams, chrome ect..

Just now, rockon5622 said:

The 4k is for games, the others are for videos, chats, livestreams, chrome ect..

Yeah, it makes no difference just running them, regardless of which is doing what (ie. 4K gaming and 3x 1080p on Chrome and such or a 1080p gaming and the others, including 4K, on Chrome). Running videos and such on the other monitors will/can affect frame rates in all situations, but from what I could find it was a CPU limitation, not extra load on the GPU. Just running desktop, a browser, word, monitoring software and such makes no difference to FPS. 

So I need a hub?

Which do I get?

I want at least 3 1080p 60hz

I just use NVS510 cards if I want to use a lot of monitors, they have 4 mini-DP 1.2 ports each so up to 16 monitors per card using MST's and are very cheap on eBay.

Here is a little system I build yesterday that supports up to 112 monitors:

IMG_20170615_163222.jpg.20179238dd3541deba1161de63ea4f95.jpgIMG_20170615_163147.jpg.53cdc3fb358677417a8de8b7c48e9280.jpg

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

12 hours ago, looney said:

I just use NVS510 cards if I want to use a lot of monitors, they have 4 mini-DP 1.2 ports each so up to 16 monitors per card using MST's and are very cheap on eBay.

Here is a little system I build yesterday that supports up to 112 monitors:

IMG_20170615_163222.jpg.20179238dd3541deba1161de63ea4f95.jpgIMG_20170615_163147.jpg.53cdc3fb358677417a8de8b7c48e9280.jpg

Awesome this looks like what I need.

Are they loud?

On 2017-6-16 at 9:21 PM, rockon5622 said:

Awesome this looks like what I need.

Are they loud?

Sorry for the late response,

No they are not loud.

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

5 hours ago, looney said:

Sorry for the late response,

No they are not loud.

Sweet, any experience with nvs 810

On 20/06/2017 at 5:27 PM, rockon5622 said:

Sweet, any experience with nvs 810

Price per port is not so good on those, but if you are limited in PCIe slots then its a good alternative.

I needed low profile so was no option for me.