Both monitors go black when closing certain games??

PackYourBaggins

I recently got a new 1440p monitor to match my new 1080 Ti, (secondary monitor is 1080p) and not long after getting it, I noticed that only in certain games, when I try to quit the game, or alt+tab out of these games, both my monitors will go black without a cursor, and it will not respond unless I do a reset. Both monitors remain turned on, to clarify, but they're both black until I reset. So far, I've found 3 games that have given me this issue when closing/alt+tabbing: Dark Souls 1, Dark Souls 3 & Rainbow Six: Siege. Why is this happening, and why only in certain games? I'm sure it's only a matter of time until I come across another game that gives me this issue.

Here's my full part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/GunsmokeTX/saved/PsdFf7

Run the games in windowed fullscreen mode instead of fullscreen mode and report back.

38 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Run the games in windowed fullscreen mode instead of fullscreen mode and report back.

I tried Dark Souls 3, but I seem to be getting a separate issue exclusive to Dark Souls 3. I load to the main menu and my frame rate drops to 10 FPS. When I struggled through the menus to change to windowed mode, and I hit apply, the screen flickered for a few seconds, then it turned itself back to fullscreen. At this point, I'm still getting 10 FPS in the main menu of all places, so I quit the game from the menu, and I get the same double black screen on my monitors. I reset. I go back to Dark Souls 3. I'm still getting 10 FPS for some reason in the menu. This time I ALT+F4, I get the same thing. I haven't tried Rainbow Six: Siege cause it's not installed, but I will after I get home from work.

On 6/14/2017 at 3:03 PM, NinJake said:

Well I have absolutely no idea what changed, but I've tested Rainbow Six: Siege just now, and it's now working fine when I close the game. Monitors don't go black anymore.

Sorry for the late reply. I've been busy with work.

On 6/17/2017 at 4:20 PM, NinJake said:

No worries, glad to hear its working!

Well it's working in Siege, but the problem persists in Dark Souls 1 (I have not retested Dark Souls 3). If I alt+tab, both monitors go black until I push the reset or power button. Same if I quit the game in-game or if I alt+F4 :/ 

EDIT: Just tested it in borderless-fullscreen after having some issues with the borderless-fullscreen setting, and the issue does NOT occur when I set it to borderless-fullscreen. Why am I having so many issues running games in fullscreen?? 

It's not really an issue. It just happens with multiple monitors and full screening certain games.

Do the monitors work again if you unplug them from the power source? Unplug the monitor's power cable (pull out power cable from monitor, not the outlet) and then leave them for 1 - 2 minutes and then plug them back in? Make sure you leave it for 1 - 2 minutes so the monitors fully power down.

This should make it so you don't need to force shutdown.