GPU Upgrade Plan

So I'm about to buy a new GPU. (Technically a whole system, but we'll just leave the rest of the components aside) Its between Asus Strix RX 580 or Zotac GTX 1080 ti, or you can call it between cheap and expensive GPU.

The GTX 1080 ti will probably last longer down the years if i wanted to maintain >60 fps@1080p, its getting OVER 110fps with today's games. While the RX 580 will last shorter if i wanted to maintain the same >60 fps@1080p, its getting around 40 - 100 fps with today's games. 

So, my questions are:

1. How long will the GTX 1080 ti last if all i want is 60 fps @ 1080p ultra setting?

2. Should i buy the RX 580 and upgrade sooner or buy the GTX 1080 ti and upgrade later? I'm talking about 2 years for RX 580 vs 5 years for the GTX 1080 ti here....

Thanks in advance for your opinion and time :)

1: no clue becuase we dont know how games will evolve but around 5-7 years?

2: id get a used 1080TI but thats just me, probably get the 1080 tho if you want to game at 1080p. 1: the name makes it fun, 2: its more resonably priced and will do you great at 1080p and 1440p for quite some time aswell

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

1: no clue becuase we dont know how games will evolve but around 5-7 years?

2: id get a used 1080TI but thats just me, probably get the 1080 tho if you want to game at 1080p. 1: the name makes it fun, 2: its more resonably priced and will do you great at 1080p and 1440p for quite some time aswell

What about the RX 580? And how long for the GTX 1080? :)

Just now, Its Not Important said:

What about the RX 580? And how long for the GTX 1080? :)

the 580 is imposible to find because of mining but if you do find it its a good card but dont expect to max out games for more then 2 years maybe? idk this stuff is pretty hard to predict. 1080 might last you 3-5 years? like i said these are numbers basically pulled out of my ass or basic predictions seeing as we dont know how we will go forward in game development, if async compute will be important or not, if VRAM speed will matter a lot and so on. its basically imposible to say anything beyond round numbers that might be right lol. but these are my best predictions

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

the 580 is imposible to find because of mining but if you do find it its a good card but dont expect to max out games for more then 2 years maybe? idk this stuff is pretty hard to predict. 1080 might last you 3-5 years? like i said these are numbers basically pulled out of my ass or basic predictions seeing as we dont know how we will go forward in game development, if async compute will be important or not, if VRAM speed will matter a lot and so on. its basically imposible to say anything beyond round numbers that might be right lol. but these are my best predictions

I have plenty of RX 580 to buy because nobody here is mining....and yeah i don't expect an accurate prediction because its pretty much impossible to tell. I'll probably get the GTX 1080 ti, thanks for your input man 

17 minutes ago, Its Not Important said:

So I'm about to buy a new GPU. (Technically a whole system, but we'll just leave the rest of the components aside) Its between Asus Strix RX 580 or Zotac GTX 1080 ti, or you can call it between cheap and expensive GPU.

The GTX 1080 ti will probably last longer down the years if i wanted to maintain >60 fps@1080p, its getting OVER 110fps with today's games. While the RX 580 will last shorter if i wanted to maintain the same >60 fps@1080p, its getting around 40 - 100 fps with today's games. 

So, my questions are:

1. How long will the GTX 1080 ti last if all i want is 60 fps @ 1080p ultra setting?

2. Should i buy the RX 580 and upgrade sooner or buy the GTX 1080 ti and upgrade later? I'm talking about 2 years for RX 580 vs 5 years for the GTX 1080 ti here....

It depends on the specs of the PC that the card will be installed in, and the prices of both the 1080 ti and the 580.

The 1080 Ti could be expensive, it could bottleneck, or both. With such an expensive card, you don't want to take the risk of wasting your money and being stuck with a product you can't use.

I can't give any helpful input on the lifetime of each card, but with AMD becoming more competitive and some new releases from both red and green on the horizon I'd go 580 for now. That way your investment is smaller, and you'll be able to sell it with ease in the next year or two if a new release comes out with a card you really want. 

In the end I just think you might get a better value short term with the 580.

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k 3.7Ghz MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme4

RAM: Corsair Vengeance (4x4) Storage: Crucial MX300 275Gb | WD Blue 1Tb

GPU: XFX RS RX480 8Gb Case: Corsair 270R PSU: Seasonic Focus+ 750w

Monitors: HP 22cwa | BenQ BL2420PT  Cans: ATH-M50x 

4 minutes ago, sauce-c said:

I can't give any helpful input on the lifetime of each card, but with AMD becoming more competitive and some new releases from both red and green on the horizon I'd go 580 for now. That way your investment is smaller, and you'll be able to sell it with ease in the next year or two if a new release comes out with a card you really want. 

In the end I just think you might get a better value short term with the 580.

So RX 580 for that rapid upgrade path down the line? But that 40fps-ish at Wildlands is kind of sad :/

3 minutes ago, Its Not Important said:

So RX 580 for that rapid upgrade path down the line? But that 40fps-ish at Wildlands is kind of sad :/

Thats how I would personally handle it yes. But if it will negatively affect a game you love to play (Wildlands) then maybe don't go with it. Have you thought about going with a 1070? Kind of the in-between route. 

5 hours ago, sauce-c said:

Thats how I would personally handle it yes. But if it will negatively affect a game you love to play (Wildlands) then maybe don't go with it. Have you thought about going with a 1070? Kind of the in-between route. 

Well yeah, i did consider 1070/1080 but those cards are one year old card at this point so i figure i could go hard or go home xD

I suggest you get the 580 instead of the 1080ti. 

if you really do the math, doing 2 upgrade cycles at 300$ each time in a span of 3-6 years is still way cheaper than the 1080ti.

Note, i'm basing this on US$.

27 minutes ago, Its Not Important said:

Well yeah, i did consider 1070/1080 but those cards are one year old card at this point so i figure i could go hard or go home xD

I see where you're coming from. IMO theres isn't really a bad choice here. If you prefer upgrading more often and having consistently newer tech, get the 580 and go from there. If you are content with a large investment in a top tier card and then waiting a few generations to upgrade then get the 1080ti!

RX580 and a 1080Ti are worlds apart in performance. If im honest i would get yourself a 1080 save yourself some money then if you really want to upgrade then im sure next year potentially will be an 1180 ( we will call it that for example ) and that no doubt blow the 1080ti out the water very much how a 1080 blew a 980ti out the water.

On 6/12/2017 at 9:54 AM, danrey84 said:

RX580 and a 1080Ti are worlds apart in performance. If im honest i would get yourself a 1080 save yourself some money then if you really want to upgrade then im sure next year potentially will be an 1180 ( we will call it that for example ) and that no doubt blow the 1080ti out the water very much how a 1080 blew a 980ti out the water.

Well that's a great news for my wallet 

On 12/06/2017 at 1:56 AM, Its Not Important said:

So, my questions are:

Just get a Gtx 980ti if you're playing games at 1080p that will be more than enough for the next 2 years until amd and nvidia bring out next gen.