Closed or Open Audio technica Headsets

MajorFoley

So a local store has specials for whatever Audio Technica products they have

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/games-consoles/banners/audio-technica/

I want to get one of the ADG1x/AG1x headsets since my plantronics 380 are dying (you touch the volume wheel and only comes out of the left unless in specific spot)

However i really want to use these for recording gameplay using dxtory or similar apps as well as stream on OBS/Xsplit. The only thing i really don't like is that extra thin bars at the top but  guess those are for adjustments and i guess the cheaper ones are there too if i didn't want that.

I've seen streamers like Summit1G use the open version of the headset and not have any hissing noise come out of it from their mic (https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovxapyd9jiw62qa/audio test 2017.avi?dl=0)

You can kinda hear it. it could be my computer's background noise but i turn the mic and move as far as i can from it about half way through the vid and still sounds the same to me.

I believe i also saw on their website they normally provide a USB soundcard if you contact them but the shop that's selling it told me they don't sell it with theirs.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/96eeada29d21f735/index.html

So which one should i go for in either the ADG1x/AG1x and PDG1 PG1 open or closed?

I also do have a Soundblaser x-fi extreme audio sound card (http://www.guru3d.com/miraserver/images/brann/dsc04857-lt.jpg)

or my usb dolby sound card (http://img03.taobaocdn.com/bao/uploaded/i3/16383019211824922/T1gB7TXX8XXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg_310x310.jpg)

Which one should i use if i get these?

From my personal pov, its not worthed to get a gaming headset, summ1t is sponsored thats why hes using it.

And the headset he is using is basically ath700x + a mic which actually can be bought at a cheaper price, the only downside it there will be 2 separate cables.

Whats your budget if i may ask.

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

On 6/16/2017 at 0:58 PM, nicobombai said:

From my personal pov, its not worthed to get a gaming headset, summ1t is sponsored thats why hes using it.

And the headset he is using is basically ath700x + a mic which actually can be bought at a cheaper price, the only downside it there will be 2 separate cables.

Whats your budget if i may ask.

Sorry for the late response. The reason i want to get these is because at Australian stores, those are mainly around 350-400 AUD. The fact they are only 240 is quite ab ig thing and its still a big upgrade from Plantronics 380. Part of the reason i don't want to get something like Blue Yeti is because i don't want more things on my desk and i don't really want an Arm for the mic either. Mod mic's i have seen but i don't really want to attach it either. I'd say audio spending at most might be 300-400 because i plan on building a new PC after seeing how Vega will turn out.

Having less clutter with quality headset can be beneficial if one is willing to spend premium on it. I used Audio Technica ADG1 and currently giving second chance to modmic (used to use 3.0 but hated it, now trying 5.0). After using it for a while, I am thinking about going back to ADG1 due to modmic + quality headphone is not adding much to multiplayer games (which modmic is only used for anyway).

If the new mics they put on the x series of Audio Technica headsets are on par with Sennheiser's headsets, then it will sound better than modmics. Not only that, it has better background noise cancellation than modmic too.

Though I am a firm believer that Audio Technica ATH-ADG1 (or x) is probably the best audio device you can get for competitive multiplayer games, you need to understand that the bass frequency of this headset is very lackluster. You probably will not get "wow" factor with movies or music. Its great for picking up "tactically important" sounds, but its not gonna help in the game immersion department.

As for those DAC/Amp you mentioned, I just would not get any Creative Sound Blaster products unless you have a very specific feature looking for. Most of their products really don't offer anything much over onboard audio (granted you are not using ancient motherboards).

Anyway, if you don't mind spending some premium for a headset you can use for competitive multiplayer for a very long while and having less cable clutter (I don't think any other quality headphone companies are going to make any similar or better quality headset any time soon), Audio Technica ATH-ADG1x is probably the way to go. Though, if you like less bass in your headphone, maybe this can be used for music and movies as well.

5 hours ago, StormEye said:

Having less clutter with quality headset can be beneficial if one is willing to spend premium on it. I used Audio Technica ADG1 and currently giving second chance to modmic (used to use 3.0 but hated it, now trying 5.0). After using it for a while, I am thinking about going back to ADG1 due to modmic + quality headphone is not adding much to multiplayer games (which modmic is only used for anyway).

If the new mics they put on the x series of Audio Technica headsets are on par with Sennheiser's headsets, then it will sound better than modmics. Not only that, it has better background noise cancellation than modmic too.

Though I am a firm believer that Audio Technica ATH-ADG1 (or x) is probably the best audio device you can get for competitive multiplayer games, you need to understand that the bass frequency of this headset is very lackluster. You probably will not get "wow" factor with movies or music. Its great for picking up "tactically important" sounds, but its not gonna help in the game immersion department.

As for those DAC/Amp you mentioned, I just would not get any Creative Sound Blaster products unless you have a very specific feature looking for. Most of their products really don't offer anything much over onboard audio (granted you are not using ancient motherboards).

Anyway, if you don't mind spending some premium for a headset you can use for competitive multiplayer for a very long while and having less cable clutter (I don't think any other quality headphone companies are going to make any similar or better quality headset any time soon), Audio Technica ATH-ADG1x is probably the way to go. Though, if you like less bass in your headphone, maybe this can be used for music and movies as well.

Well i'll play some competitive gaming (quake champions is a game i'm loving at the moment) but it's mainly because i want to record and stream without that little irritating noise i get from my plantroncis 380 microphone. When i mute the mic it does disappear.

Good example is on this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhi2O2MlvJs)

You can hear it easily around the 15-20 second minute mark, you can even hear my clicking away on my keyboard even though its not mechanical. Guy i spoke to today at my work for dole activity reckons its ambient noise.

1 hour ago, MajorFoley said:

-snip-

If you are only looking for a good mic that has a very good suppression of ambient noise, then probably Sennheiser headsets will give you the best result. I have used some of their headsets in the past and mic quality (for a headset) was superb and noise cancellation for mic is excellent.

Check out Sennheiser G4ME One or Zero (open and closed).

On 6/21/2017 at 9:49 AM, MajorFoley said:

Sorry for the late response. The reason i want to get these is because at Australian stores, those are mainly around 350-400 AUD. The fact they are only 240 is quite ab ig thing and its still a big upgrade from Plantronics 380. Part of the reason i don't want to get something like Blue Yeti is because i don't want more things on my desk and i don't really want an Arm for the mic either. Mod mic's i have seen but i don't really want to attach it either. I'd say audio spending at most might be 300-400 because i plan on building a new PC after seeing how Vega will turn out.

Ah ic, then if you really want a headset just go for the PC37X (massdrop only, pls have a look at this first) for $120 USD its a great option, using HD598 modified drivers with a boom mic, great value imo, sound wise its almost identical with HD598, but with more bass from my experience.

Or if youre not willing to wait g4me one $229 AUD (open) is ok although kinda expensive with modified HD558 drivers (im using pccasegear Australia as source)

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

In general, you want closed back for isolation and open for a more natural sound.

A directional mic pattern will help with rejecting off-axis sound sources. Those ATh-ADG1x that you linked have a supercardiod pattern so they should be pretty good at rejecting the keyboard and ambience. 

23 hours ago, StormEye said:

If you are only looking for a good mic that has a very good suppression of ambient noise, then probably Sennheiser headsets will give you the best result. I have used some of their headsets in the past and mic quality (for a headset) was superb and noise cancellation for mic is excellent.

Check out Sennheiser G4ME One or Zero (open and closed).

Hmm i think my friend has a pair of those... Not sure which one he had though, he plugged it into some external sound card some big asus one. I guess i could ask if he still ha

s to borrow and give them a try before i go buy

4 hours ago, nicobombai said:

Ah ic, then if you really want a headset just go for the PC37X (massdrop only, pls have a look at this first) for $120 USD its a great option, using HD598 modified drivers with a boom mic, great value imo, sound wise its almost identical with HD598, but with more bass from my experience.

Or if youre not willing to wait g4me one $229 AUD (open) is ok although kinda expensive with modified HD558 drivers (im using pccasegear Australia as source)

Uh how often do they come up? Because my plantronics pretty much just had its right ear piece come off and i dont have anything to re-attach it at my disposal so im going to go looking tomorrow.

3 hours ago, ianb said:

In general, you want closed back for isolation and open for a more natural sound.

A directional mic pattern will help with rejecting off-axis sound sources. Those ATh-ADG1x that you linked have a supercardiod pattern so they should be pretty good at rejecting the keyboard and ambience. 

Supercardiod? Better look that up. Well i am leaning towards an open headset if im honest. I'll see if i can get a hold of my friend tonight otherwise i may just get the ADG1x

18 hours ago, MajorFoley said:

Uh how often do they come up? Because my plantronics pretty much just had its right ear piece come off and i dont have anything to re-attach it at my disposal so im going to go looking tomorrow.

They are massdrop made so you can purchase them anytime, but i just looked again, i think there's a time frame again now like before? its a hot commodity so it will come up in around a week maybe? I remember it going up very fast after finishing the very first drop.

1 hour ago, nicobombai said:

They are massdrop made so you can purchase them anytime, but i just looked again, i think there's a time frame again now like before? its a hot commodity so it will come up in around a week maybe? I remember it going up very fast after finishing the very first drop.

I don't think i can wait that long if im honest.

Also my friend had the closed Senheisser game versions i think that one is zero?

I can get it running through that little dolby usb sound card but the creative sound blaster refuses to work for more than a second using it before people can hear me but i can't hear them, yet the windows sound works fine.

It sounds really weird to me as well.

Uh... small question is it better to have windows volume at max and adjust the volume via headphones wheel or the other way around?

1 hour ago, MajorFoley said:

I don't think i can wait that long if im honest.

Also my friend had the closed Senheisser game versions i think that one is zero?

I can get it running through that little dolby usb sound card but the creative sound blaster refuses to work for more than a second using it before people can hear me but i can't hear them, yet the windows sound works fine.

It sounds really weird to me as well.

Uh... small question is it better to have windows volume at max and adjust the volume via headphones wheel or the other way around?

Personally i'm not into the whole surround sound thingy from dolby or even creative cos its very gimmicky imo feels like you're listening through a tin can, vanilla 2 channel sound from headphones are the best, feels more natural both playing games and listening to music.

Yes, zero are closed, people use it more for LANS and noisy environment. G4me one would be better if you don't mind leaking out sound, bass is less but feels more natural than the zero.

I usually max out the windows and adjust the headset if needed, usually both at max shouldn't be a problem.

3 hours ago, nicobombai said:

Personally i'm not into the whole surround sound thingy from dolby or even creative cos its very gimmicky imo feels like you're listening through a tin can, vanilla 2 channel sound from headphones are the best, feels more natural both playing games and listening to music.

Yes, zero are closed, people use it more for LANS and noisy environment. G4me one would be better if you don't mind leaking out sound, bass is less but feels more natural than the zero.

I usually max out the windows and adjust the headset if needed, usually both at max shouldn't be a problem.

I don't use the dolby surround sound thing, i keep it off. Hmmm yeah i just tried the game zeros with a recording.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6dw8lwppgz7nw81/Gamezero test with MSI x99A gaming 7 onboard sound..avi?dl=0

Not sure if its the gamezero requires a bit more power but according to the onboard volume the mic is maxed and it sounds soft. Another benefit of that dolby USB Soundcard was that it kinda amped up the volume so people could hear me as well as eliminate normal hissing that you would get from just having the headphones plugged in.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so i did end up buying the ADG1X guys, i had to find the DAC that came with the older ADG1's but i can say that my problem was solved!

When i recorded i didn't get any of that noise i normally get when i recorded with my older headset. I have a different problem at the moment but i think i can fix it. Thanks to you guys for your suggestions!