Trying to use my PC connected to my receiver with my TV off

NickTheMajin

I have my PC connected to my receiver as a home theater PC, but sometimes I like using my PC while using my Martin Logan speakers. I used to be able to do this by going into display settings and clicking "extend these displays", but now whenever I do that for some reason it treats my receiver (with TV off) as the main display and my monitor as the secondary display (even though in display settings it says my monitor is the primary display). 

When I turn my TV on, my monitor switches to the main display. When I turn it off, it switches to the secondary display and I can no longer see anything. I can duplicate the displays and it works fine, but causes issues in games. I cannot leave my TV on indefinitely because it is an OLED and will burn in. I want to be able to use my speakers without my TV on. I used to be able to just by choosing extend these displays option, but now it no longer works unless I switch it to extend, turn my tv on, restart my computer and turn the TV off as it is restarting. Then it ends up working. My PC monitor is on, my speakers are connected and my TV is off. 

I use a dac/amp combo for my headphones, and to do so I have to set the DAC as system default in sound settings in windows.
So your receiver should be there along with your sound card or onboard, if you set it to default you should be able to use the receiver as main sound output device. Regardless of video settings, the sound should work with any hdmi capable receiver, I am assuming you are using hdmi to connect to your receiver.

One way to get into sound settings: search "sound" in windows 7 or above, it should look similar to the image I attached. There you will find your receiver's name, just hit "Set Default" and you should be done.

windows_sound_settings.jpg

1 minute ago, imparadu said:

I use a dac/amp combo for my headphones, and to do so I have to set the DAC as system default in sound settings in windows.
So your receiver should be there along with your sound card or onboard, if you set it to default you should be able to use the receiver as main sound output device. Regardless of video settings, the sound should work with any hdmi capable receiver, I am assuming you are using hdmi to connect to your receiver.

One way to get into sound settings: search "sound" in windows 7 or above, it should look similar to the image I attached. There you will find your receiver's name, just hit "Set Default" and you should be done.

windows_sound_settings.jpg

Yeah unfortunately this is not the case. I am using HDMI for my receiver, but the device will not show as there unless in the display settings the displays are set to show only on 2 (2 is the receiver), duplicate or extend. If its set as show only on one, the Marantz receiver will not even show in playback devices as being turned on even if the receiver is turned on. 

wellp, if you have an nvidia gpu you can also take a look in the nvidia driver, I used a receiver some time ago, only for its sound, without any tv connected to it, and it showed up in playback devices. see if your graphics card driver has any clue about your receiver :ph34r:

nvidia_sound.jpg

9 hours ago, imparadu said:

wellp, if you have an nvidia gpu you can also take a look in the nvidia driver, I used a receiver some time ago, only for its sound, without any tv connected to it, and it showed up in playback devices. see if your graphics card driver has any clue about your receiver :ph34r:

nvidia_sound.jpg

Yeah, just says No audio capable display available unless I go into display settings and select something other than "show only on 1". 

Is there an reason for not just using an spdif cable?

well, for sound its kinda the same thing, you know, zero's and one's traveling along the line.
hdmi will get you video and sound all in one, but an optical cable will get you the exact same sound quality, only problem is: you gonna have to run 2 cables to the receiver to get the job done.
if you do decide to use an optical cable dont forget that will only work with 2 channels (left and right), if you want to use surround sound you will have to use DTS or another encoder to have real surround.

It sounds like his receiver should have those in it, mine does and it's atleast 8years old. 

@NickTheMajin 

As he said you will not notice anything in the sound. And toslink cables are really cheap and thin.

39 minutes ago, imparadu said:

well, for sound its kinda the same thing, you know, zero's and one's traveling along the line.
hdmi will get you video and sound all in one, but an optical cable will get you the exact same sound quality, only problem is: you gonna have to run 2 cables to the receiver to get the job done.
if you do decide to use an optical cable dont forget that will only work with 2 channels (left and right), if you want to use surround sound you will have to use DTS or another encoder to have real surround.

Which is why I said hdmi is better. It may be the same sound for 2 channel, but I don't use two channel. My PC is a home theater PC and I use it to play blu rays as well as gaming. 

Most modern receivers have decoders tho so idk why you would think you wouldn't get surround especially with blurays. 

Are you sure you understand how the spdif and the related things work?

I'm sorry Ive gone offtopic in your thread.

And nothing is stopping you from using both beside esthetics. when you wanna listen to music you can just set spdif as default and play then switch back to hdmi when you wanna use that, bypassing this problem.