MSI GS63VR - GSYNC TO EXTERNAL MONITOR?

Hi All,

Hope you are well. I am a new user with a burning question!

I have an MSI GS63VR with the Nvidia 1060 for laptops (https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GS63VR-6RF-Stealth-Pro.html#hero-overview).

The internal display is NOT gsync compatible (1080P IPS). I am looking to purchase an external monitor (with gsync).

Question:  Will GSYNC be enabled when I connect the GS63VR with the external monitor?  Has anyone tested this personally? 

Thank you in advance!

DPGG

It should work. GSYNC is monitor dependent. I think you'd just have to activate it in GeForce Experience, but I'm not familiar with using GSync. I have two monitors hooked up to my desktop. One is FreeSync and the other is not. I can use FreeSync on the one even without it being on the other.

Yes, it will work.

You will have to set the G-Sync monitor as a primary monitor and then enable G-Sync in NVIDIA Control Panel.

Have in mind that as long as the G-Sync monitor has higher refresh rate than your laptop monitor, you will be forced to play games in FullScreen mode as playing in Windowed/Borderless mode will cause you issues.

Thank you for your responses. Appreciate it

• 7 months later...

This laptop's screen doesn't support g-sync, nor does hooking it up to an external g-sync monitor. The built in intel video card is what the hdmi port is going through, and is managed by nvidia optimus gpu switching. Optimus=no gsync.

If you want one of those fancy Acer Predator x34 monitors to work with g-sync (which is amazing by the way when working. And yes it's worth it.) you have to buy a laptop without optimus, and most likely without an intel video card at all. The nvidia card MUST be the card DIRECTLY talking to the monitor. 

Hope this helps someone.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone actually tested this?

I am on the verge of buying a g-sync monitor but still haven't seen anything that proves if it works or not.

I wanna know if the displayport on this laptop is actually connected straight to the GTX 1060 inside.

• 1 month later...

I e-mailed tech support at MSI about this to get clarification on this, since no one seems to know on online forums. Here is how that went:

MSI Tech. 03/05/2018 Hello Daniel, Unfortunately the outputs on this particular unit can only do 60hz. So no G Sync support unfortunately. Thanks you  
End User 03/03/2018 I am not having any problems yet =]. I am going to be purchasing an external monitor very soon for this computer, and I like the idea of the GSync feature, but I am not sure if the laptop can support GSync with an external monitor. I tried finding this answer online and found conflicting information. Is G Sync possible with this laptop and an external monitor using any of the available video out connections? If it cannot support GSync then I can save a considerable amount of money buying a cheaper monitor that doesn't have G Sync but if it does support it, I will pay extra for the G Sync Monitor. I am considering buying the Dell S2716DGR (27" GSync monitor) for reference. If G Sync is supported, what do I have to do to make sure its set up to work with the new monitor? Thank you

However I went ahead and bought the expensive G-Sync monitor anyway (happened to buy it right before they responded to my request -.-  and decided to keep it and try it out). GUESS WHAT, IT WORKED. I had to use Dell's provided display port cable, and I also had to purchase a Dell mini-display port to display port adapter.G-Sync definitely will NOT work over HDMI so don't bother.

Dell Mini DP to DP adapter

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/accessories/apd/470-0152

I have the MSI GS63VR from Best Buy (the version with the TN panel) and the GTX 1060. 

GS63VR STEALTH-252

When I hooked it up, my laptop and external monitor immediately recognized that a G-Sync capable display was connected and I was prompted by GeForce experience to enable the feature. Upon gaming in full-screen mode I got the G-Sync indicator popping up telling me that the game was working in G-Sync mode and the GeForce FPS overlay was telling me that I was getting 130-144 FPS. I was playing Diablo 3, so not a very graphics intensive game but still, it appeared that G-Sync was working. Also tested on CS:GO and Starcraft II, all had the indicator telling me G-Sync was working. It's only been 2 days but my experience with the setup has been great and smooth so far. Maybe the MSI tech support guy thought I was just asking about G-Sync over HDMI? I thought my question to them was very clear so I am still very confused about this. I'm not a tech professional, so is it possible that the "G-Sync On"  indicator can be popping up if its not working correctly? I don't know. There definitely is an Intel video processor and the NVidia processor in my laptop as other commenters have said above.

Here are the links with my laptop and monitor I am using:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-27-led-qhd-gsync-monitor-black/5293502.p?skuId=5293502

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-gs-series-stealth-pro-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hdd-256gb-ssd-aluminum-black/5712735.p?skuId=5712735

Also, to my delight, I found out that the display port cable CAN transmit audio too, so I am able to have my speakers connected to the monitor, so there's one less cable I have to connect to my laptop each time I want to hook it up to monitor/keyboard/mouse, etc. FYI, for the particular monitor I got (Dell S2716DGR) reviewers are saying that you need to use Dell's Display Port cables otherwise things may not work properly with third party display cables. I don't have third party DP cables but I will confirm that there are no issues on that monitor using Dell's cables.

Good luck with whatever setup you end up using. If anything, I may eventually have a desktop rig in the future and will certainly get full usage of this monitor then. For now, I think G-Sync is just the bandaid I needed

• 8 months later...

Yes it works through the mini display port, must be directly connected to the graphics card. The HDMI is the Intel chip. Just got it hooked up. I just bought an aftermarket mini display port to display port and g sync was detected instantly before my computer even finished booting up. No tearing issues so far

• 5 months later...

@DannyVee89 thanks for the information about the monitor, may I ask a couple of questions regarding this issue?

I will be buying an MSIGS65, intel i7 9th gen, RTX2070, 32ram, 240hz, etc. I want to use it as a business laptop in the office, and a gaming laptop in my home. In a near future, I want to have a setup where I can use it as a CPU and connect some external devices as an external monitor, speakers, mouse and keyboard.

While connecting the monitor via DisplayPort, the external monitor can have the FHD quality and the refresh rate it has? Or the refresh rate will be limited to 60hz?

Have you connected the monitor via USB-C (Thunderbolt 3)? Does it has some limitations as the HDMI port has?

Regards,

DC

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2018 at 9:15 AM, DannyVee89 said:

I e-mailed tech support at MSI about this to get clarification on this, since no one seems to know on online forums. Here is how that went:

MSI Tech. 03/05/2018 Hello Daniel, Unfortunately the outputs on this particular unit can only do 60hz. So no G Sync support unfortunately. Thanks you  
End User 03/03/2018 I am not having any problems yet =]. I am going to be purchasing an external monitor very soon for this computer, and I like the idea of the GSync feature, but I am not sure if the laptop can support GSync with an external monitor. I tried finding this answer online and found conflicting information. Is G Sync possible with this laptop and an external monitor using any of the available video out connections? If it cannot support GSync then I can save a considerable amount of money buying a cheaper monitor that doesn't have G Sync but if it does support it, I will pay extra for the G Sync Monitor. I am considering buying the Dell S2716DGR (27" GSync monitor) for reference. If G Sync is supported, what do I have to do to make sure its set up to work with the new monitor? Thank you

However I went ahead and bought the expensive G-Sync monitor anyway (happened to buy it right before they responded to my request -.-  and decided to keep it and try it out). GUESS WHAT, IT WORKED. I had to use Dell's provided display port cable, and I also had to purchase a Dell mini-display port to display port adapter.G-Sync definitely will NOT work over HDMI so don't bother.

Dell Mini DP to DP adapter

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/accessories/apd/470-0152

I have the MSI GS63VR from Best Buy (the version with the TN panel) and the GTX 1060. 

GS63VR STEALTH-252

When I hooked it up, my laptop and external monitor immediately recognized that a G-Sync capable display was connected and I was prompted by GeForce experience to enable the feature. Upon gaming in full-screen mode I got the G-Sync indicator popping up telling me that the game was working in G-Sync mode and the GeForce FPS overlay was telling me that I was getting 130-144 FPS. I was playing Diablo 3, so not a very graphics intensive game but still, it appeared that G-Sync was working. Also tested on CS:GO and Starcraft II, all had the indicator telling me G-Sync was working. It's only been 2 days but my experience with the setup has been great and smooth so far. Maybe the MSI tech support guy thought I was just asking about G-Sync over HDMI? I thought my question to them was very clear so I am still very confused about this. I'm not a tech professional, so is it possible that the "G-Sync On"  indicator can be popping up if its not working correctly? I don't know. There definitely is an Intel video processor and the NVidia processor in my laptop as other commenters have said above.

Here are the links with my laptop and monitor I am using:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-27-led-qhd-gsync-monitor-black/5293502.p?skuId=5293502

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-gs-series-stealth-pro-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hdd-256gb-ssd-aluminum-black/5712735.p?skuId=5712735

Also, to my delight, I found out that the display port cable CAN transmit audio too, so I am able to have my speakers connected to the monitor, so there's one less cable I have to connect to my laptop each time I want to hook it up to monitor/keyboard/mouse, etc. FYI, for the particular monitor I got (Dell S2716DGR) reviewers are saying that you need to use Dell's Display Port cables otherwise things may not work properly with third party display cables. I don't have third party DP cables but I will confirm that there are no issues on that monitor using Dell's cables.

Good luck with whatever setup you end up using. If anything, I may eventually have a desktop rig in the future and will certainly get full usage of this monitor then. For now, I think G-Sync is just the bandaid I needed

Sorry for bumping this, but I'm one of those users who is having trouble getting gsync/adaptive sync working on my new monitor.  I have a gaming laptop with an Intel and a nvidia1060, and I purchased an AOC G2590 monitor that supports adaptive sync/gsync.  Since my laptop, a Dell 7577, has a Thunderport 3 port capable of running an external GPU I thought getting a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter would work.  Unfortunately it works less well than just using the hdmi cable because a lot of my settings for the nvidia disappear.  And I know hdmi doesnt support gsync, which is why I got the USB-C to DP.  Is that what you're using as well?  I know a lot of users are having trouble because of the way the laptop uses optimus.

• 2 years later...
On 7/12/2019 at 1:06 AM, thejinn said:

Sorry for bumping this, but I'm one of those users who is having trouble getting gsync/adaptive sync working on my new monitor.  I have a gaming laptop with an Intel and a nvidia1060, and I purchased an AOC G2590 monitor that supports adaptive sync/gsync.  Since my laptop, a Dell 7577, has a Thunderport 3 port capable of running an external GPU I thought getting a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter would work.  Unfortunately it works less well than just using the hdmi cable because a lot of my settings for the nvidia disappear.  And I know hdmi doesnt support gsync, which is why I got the USB-C to DP.  Is that what you're using as well?  I know a lot of users are having trouble because of the way the laptop uses optimus.

I know its been years man, i wasn't able to go back on this thread, but hey, someone might be having the same issue so here goes. 

To answer your question, NO, usb c to dp is not what we're trying to do, our laptops have the mini DP port which we use to connect directly to the gsync monitor. No issues with optimus as well because it gets disabled automatically once you connect your laptop to an external monitor via DP.

I can confirm as well that the MSI GS63VR mini DP when connected to a gsync monitor via DP works with gsync enabled.