TSMC Sources Claim 'iPhone 8' Will Have Touch ID Integrated into Display

NinerL

Apple has successfully finalized a solution to integrate Touch ID fingerprint recognition directly into the display of its upcoming "iPhone 8", according to a new report on Friday. 

Chinese-language Economic Daily News (EDN) said it spoke to sources from Apple supplier Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC), who apparently confirmed Apple's achievement during a technology convention held in Taipei on Thursday. 

Among several design changes TSMC reportedly discussed at the TSMC 2017 NA Technology Symposium was the lack of a home button on the redesigned OLED iPhone, owing to Apple's use of "an optical fingerprint sensor to enable authentication directly on the screen" in the absence of a physical Home button. 

iPhone-6-Touch-ID.jpg

In addition to the fingerprint recognition, the sources claimed the new iPhones will also come with "invisible infrared image sensors to enhance the functionality of the high-pixel camera" and to enable augmented reality functions. 

Source via : https://www.macrumors.com/2017/05/26/tsmc-iphone-8-touch-id-integrated-display/

My thoughts: There were conflicting leaks about an iPhone that had a fingerprint scanner on the back but it looks like those prototypes were fake.

whats that big, about 3.5mm, looking hole thing? 

i know, iphone 6 image

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

15 minutes ago, NinerL said:

Apple has successfully finalized a solution to integrate Touch ID fingerprint recognition directly into the display of its upcoming "iPhone 8", according to a new report on Friday. 

Chinese-language Economic Daily News (EDN) said it spoke to sources from Apple supplier Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC), who apparently confirmed Apple's achievement during a technology convention held in Taipei on Thursday. 

Among several design changes TSMC reportedly discussed at the TSMC 2017 NA Technology Symposium was the lack of a home button on the redesigned OLED iPhone, owing to Apple's use of "an optical fingerprint sensor to enable authentication directly on the screen" in the absence of a physical Home button. 

iPhone-6-Touch-ID.jpg

In addition to the fingerprint recognition, the sources claimed the new iPhones will also come with "invisible infrared image sensors to enhance the functionality of the high-pixel camera" and to enable augmented reality functions. 

Source via : https://www.macrumors.com/2017/05/26/tsmc-iphone-8-touch-id-integrated-display/

My thoughts: There were conflicting leaks about an iPhone that had a fingerprint scanner on the back but it looks like those prototypes were fake.

For Night theme users

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

24 minutes ago, NinerL said:

Good because rear fingerprint scanners only works when you're lifting the phone, not when the phone is laying flat on a table and I just want to check notifications.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I'd love to see an app or a game use this fingerprint thingy in their own app. Don't know how but sounds cool.

4 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Good because rear fingerprint scanners only works when you're lifting the phone, not when the phone is laying flat on a table and I just want to check notifications.

I love the scanner on the back, I think it would be awesome if a phone had a front and rear scanner so you can use it in your hands and on a desk just as effortlessly.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

55 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

With android you can check your notifications without even unlocking very efficiently so back FPS are still preference in my book. 

With iOS I can see the need for front facing FPS. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

With android you can check your notifications without even unlocking very efficiently so back FPS are still preference in my book. 

You can check notifications on iOS without unlocking as well, but there are still times when you want to unlock your phone while it's on a desk. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

You can check notifications on iOS without unlocking as well. 

Well yeah, just saying its not as efficient as android. I can check and reply without even unlocking for 90% of my apps.

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Well yeah, just saying its not as efficient as android. I can check and reply without even unlocking for 90% of my apps.

You can do that in iOS as well.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

20 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

There are still Android phones with front facing fingerprint scanner. Just look at the OP3T and Huawei P10. I guess rear fingerprint ID is good when a phone is in the pocket and the middle and index fingers are perfectly placed to unlock the phone. But I prefer front fingerprint ID because there are instances that I want to look into something on my phone and I don't want to lift it let's say I'm changing a song on Spotify while reading a book and it's very convenient to just press the front fingerprint scanner to unlock and change tracks without lifting the phone. :)

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

Not to mention, for me at least, when I hold my phone I grip around the phone with my pinky under, however my thumb (either hand) is always in the same place.

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

There are still Android phones with front facing fingerprint scanner. Just look at the OP3T and Huawei P10. I guess rear fingerprint ID is good when a phone is in the pocket and the middle and index fingers are perfectly placed to unlock the phone. But I prefer front fingerprint ID because there are instances that I want to look into something on my phone and I don't want to lift it let's say I'm changing a song on Spotify while reading a book and it's very convenient to just press the front fingerprint scanner to unlock and change tracks without lifting the phone. :)

I know there are still android phones that have front sensors, but in my case I dont put my phone down on tables enough chose front over back. Also with my side job, my thumb finger print is almost always gone so when all phones move to screen only I will be hurting quite bad. But as for changing a song in spotify, are you talking changing a song or skipping a song? Later I would hope you can do on iOS. But this is all preference.

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

But as for changing a song in spotify, are you talking changing a song or skipping a song?

changing a song

Cool, not going to be tempted to pay for it though.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I am just hoping they won't patent it and sue everyone.

It seems like the next logical step for fingerprint scanners. I would not be surprised if it will be a step backwards in terms of security or reliability though.

I wonder if OLED is a requirement for this to work, since in LCDs you will need to have the backlight in the way, and the pixels will be on and shining, and all that other junk that might interfere with the reading.