Noctua NH-U12S vs be quiet Dark Rock 3

Jack Kaye Pc Gamer

Which is the better cpu cooler? Only £2 between them, I am more bothered about which is the quietest of the 2 over visuals and performance(as there is only 1-2c difference), have looked at reviews but some say the noctua is more silent where others say the opposite.

CPU: Intel I5 4690K | GPU: Asus R9 280x | PSU: Evga 600w | RAM:8GB DDR3 | HDD: WD 1TB | HDD: WD 500GB | SSD: Sandisk 120GB 

I just installed my Dark Rock 3 today, and it's as quiet as it gets.

Once I removed GPU from my PC, it was dead silent from 1m away. You can barely hear it when you are close to your PC.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

The DR3 is quieter and the NH-U12S performs a bit better. They're both very quiet.

The NH-U12S is easier to recommend due to the slimmer form factor, easier installation, and more consistent mounting.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

6 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The DR3 is quieter and the NH-U12S performs a bit better. They're both very quiet.

The NH-U12S is easier to recommend due to the slimmer form factor, easier installation, and more consistent mounting.

yh, I've read the dark rock 3 is a pain to install due to the shit wrench given

CPU: Intel I5 4690K | GPU: Asus R9 280x | PSU: Evga 600w | RAM:8GB DDR3 | HDD: WD 1TB | HDD: WD 500GB | SSD: Sandisk 120GB 

4 hours ago, Jack Kaye Pc Gamer said:

yh, I've read the dark rock 3 is a pain to install due to the shit wrench given

The wrench isn't quite as bad as some make it out to be. If you remove your RAM it is a piece of cake to install. It is kind of a pain for me because I was frequently swapping CPUs.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

12 hours ago, DragonTamer1 said:

The wrench isn't quite as bad as some make it out to be. If you remove your RAM it is a piece of cake to install. It is kind of a pain for me because I was frequently swapping CPUs.

Just ordered one, hope it fits in my case as i can find no info on the tallest cpu cooler it can fit so bit of a gamble but if it doesnt then will have to chose a smaller cpu cooler

On 5/13/2017 at 3:47 AM, DragonTamer1 said:

glad i chose the dark rock 3, easy to install and under realbench stress test with the fan at 24% ish it is around 65c on my 4690k, could get temps way lower but cant even hear the cooler and silence is more important, also only fit in my case by less than a mm which was a bit scary