Best laptop for gaming and software engineering?

Go to solution Solved by D2ultima,
1 hour ago, diewhilelive said:

Yes, I would like all of those things included on that price, my must have's are 16gb ram, at least 1050 for graphic card and 1TB storage. Maaaaybe a little less.

okay so $2500 for the laptop (extra monitors etc are all not counted, I can show you a $2400 laptop and you go "okay great")?

If so, I think the best stretch for your budget would be this http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-p650hs-g-15-6-custom-built-gaming-laptop-w-nvidia-gtx-1070-w-g-sync.html

256GB 850 Pro in the primary SATA slot, 1TB 850 EVO in the second SATA slot (with M.2 drives add-able at later dates)

i7-7820HK

comes with 1070N

1080p 120Hz matte screen

liquid ultra paste

16GB 2400MHz RAM

3 years warranty

You'd need to source your own OS though. Or you could probably drop the 1TB 850 EVO to a 500GB (or buy it on your own, or buy a 1.1TB MX300 m.2 for a lot less to save $$) and get 32GB of RAM etc. I would not suggest the 2666MHz RAM, only the 2400MHz in this instance.

Hey everybody,

So.. I'm going to study abroad this August. I'll be living on my campus so I won't have TV or any of that stuff. I have a ASUS UX303, an LG 29" Ultrawide, and some Razer gear. I was thinking that aside college, I will have to entertain myself with YouTube, Netflix, Spotify and gaming. I want to sell some of my stuff to buy a new laptop, something that can handle this things and even more. I will be studying software engineering so for that matter is not that important. Anyways, I want something powerful to handle gaming mostly, and a good resolution will be really good since I do design work once in a while. I really love the Razer family so I was thinking about getting a Razer Blade 14" 1TB SSD. I've heard awesome comments for this laptop, even from Linus himself. But I don't know if there are better choices... I've heard the Dell XPS 15 is awesome too, hardware is not really my thinking. So, any of you guys have any suggestions for what I require? Performance is key, so having a good graphics card, good ram and a good display is really important.

Thank you in advance. 

Budget?

1080p screen ok?

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

5 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Budget?

1080p screen ok?

Oh yeah, my budget would be around USD$2000 - 2500

4 minutes ago, RaptorCandy said:

I would recommend the Dell XPS 15 or Dell Precision 7710.

Any specific config?

8 minutes ago, diewhilelive said:

Hey everybody,

So.. I'm going to study abroad this August. I'll be living on my campus so I won't have TV or any of that stuff. I have a ASUS UX303, an LG 29" Ultrawide, and some Razer gear. I was thinking that aside college, I will have to entertain myself with YouTube, Netflix, Spotify and gaming. I want to sell some of my stuff to buy a new laptop, something that can handle this things and even more. I will be studying software engineering so for that matter is not that important. Anyways, I want something powerful to handle gaming mostly, and a good resolution will be really good since I do design work once in a while. I really love the Razer family so I was thinking about getting a Razer Blade 14" 1TB SSD. I've heard awesome comments for this laptop, even from Linus himself. But I don't know if there are better choices... I've heard the Dell XPS 15 is awesome too, hardware is not really my thinking. So, any of you guys have any suggestions for what I require? Performance is key, so having a good graphics card, good ram and a good display is really important.

Thank you in advance. 

Asus X550ZE. Don't sell that LG monitor by the wy.

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

6 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Asus X550ZE. Don't sell that LG monitor by the wy.

I'm not really convinced with this one. I will sell it since I can't take it with me on the plane, I plan to buy a new one once I'm on my new country.

17 minutes ago, diewhilelive said:

I'm not really convinced with this one. I will sell it since I can't take it with me on the plane, I plan to buy a new one once I'm on my new country.

Sad to hear the LG sold...?

I want to buy LG monitor by the way. Wait what are you planning to sell?

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

2 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Sad to hear the LG sold...?

I want to buy LG monitor by the way. Wait what are you planning to sell?

I'll be selling my ASUS and my monitor. It's really sad, I love this thing, I hope to buy a new once as soon as I arrive there.

Just now, diewhilelive said:

I'll be selling my ASUS and my monitor. It's really sad, I love this thing, I hope to buy a new once as soon as I arrive there.

Well, now what I want to ask. Is LG monitor recommended? What do you think?

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

8 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Well, now what I want to ask. Is LG monitor recommended? What do you think?

I gotta say it's worth every penny. The model I got in my country is not the last one but is really amazing. I wish I could have finished my gaming setup to make the most of it.

I want my new laptop to run smoothly on a external display. The UX303 sucks and lags almost everything I put on the LG.

My vote goes for a Dell Precision. It's less flashy and more bulky but it's designed for heavier tasks and built to handle it. :P 

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

2 hours ago, diewhilelive said:

I really love the Razer family so I was thinking about getting a Razer Blade 14" 1TB SSD. I've heard awesome comments for this laptop, even from Linus himself.

Performance is key, so having a good graphics card, good ram and a good display is really important.

You appear to be looking for conflicting things...

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/668791-new-razer-blade-2016-gtx-1060/#comment-8628901

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/772751-new-gigabyte-aero-15/#comment-9752949

Now that getting you off the idea of Razer's garbage is done, let's get onto a good machine.

If you want something for performance, there's a couple choices. Your budget is what, $2500 max for the laptop itself? This obviously must include storage/os/etc right?

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I gotta say it's worth every penny. The model I got in my country is not the last one but is really amazing. I wish I could have finished my gaming setup to make the most of it.

I want my new laptop to run smoothly on a external display. The UX303 sucks and lags almost everything I put on the LG.

I am feeling thankful to you! Now i am choosing LG 24" 24GM77 instead of Asus VX248H! Thank you!

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

2 hours ago, Imglidinhere said:

My vote goes for a Dell Precision. It's less flashy and more bulky but it's designed for heavier tasks and built to handle it. :P 

I just took a look at it... Looks pretty much what I'm looking for. Will check the available configs.

1 hour ago, D2ultima said:

You appear to be looking for conflicting things...

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/668791-new-razer-blade-2016-gtx-1060/#comment-8628901

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/772751-new-gigabyte-aero-15/#comment-9752949

Now that getting you off the idea of Razer's garbage is done, let's get onto a good machine.

If you want something for performance, there's a couple choices. Your budget is what, $2500 max for the laptop itself? This obviously must include storage/os/etc right?

Not the first person to tell me that Razer's crap, but I gotta say I'm very pleased with their peripherals. I've heard of the problems with their laptops and that's what got me worried. What do you think of the Dell Precision as mentioned above?

Yes, I would like all of those things included on that price, my must have's are 16gb ram, at least 1050 for graphic card and 1TB storage. Maaaaybe a little less.

1 hour ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

I am feeling thankful to you! Now i am choosing LG 24" 24GM77 instead of Asus VX248H! Thank you!

Anytime, man! I'm a programmer and a designer, and for performance it is killer! I'm thinking of getting a 29" again or may a couple of 24"s

okay so $2500 for the laptop (extra monitors etc are all not counted, I can show you a $2400 laptop and you go "okay great")?

If so, I think the best stretch for your budget would be this http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-p650hs-g-15-6-custom-built-gaming-laptop-w-nvidia-gtx-1070-w-g-sync.html

256GB 850 Pro in the primary SATA slot, 1TB 850 EVO in the second SATA slot (with M.2 drives add-able at later dates)

i7-7820HK

comes with 1070N

1080p 120Hz matte screen

liquid ultra paste

16GB 2400MHz RAM

3 years warranty

You'd need to source your own OS though. Or you could probably drop the 1TB 850 EVO to a 500GB (or buy it on your own, or buy a 1.1TB MX300 m.2 for a lot less to save $$) and get 32GB of RAM etc. I would not suggest the 2666MHz RAM, only the 2400MHz in this instance.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

9 hours ago, D2ultima said:

i7-7820HK

comes with 1070N

1080p 120Hz matte screen

liquid ultra paste

16GB 2400MHz RAM

3 years warranty

I've never heard of this brand or their products, but well, I'm the one to blame since I don't do research on any of this things. I'll try to find some videos on YT.

This is how I configured it and seems pretty nice to me;

adfebe2842f44d7c9eef7a6a81e0bebe.png

I even got an European power cord on that price lol.

This is the best so far but I'd like alternatives though

28 minutes ago, diewhilelive said:

SNIP

Hidevolution is a Clevo rebrand with some of the best support and QC I have seen in a long time.

You know sager and origin-PC, right? They are also clevo rebrands. Hidevolution is just a much better reseller.

Clevo laptops prob have the best laptop motherboards I have seen yet, but their keyboards are rather meh/bad.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

55 minutes ago, diewhilelive said:

I've never heard of this brand or their products, but well, I'm the one to blame since I don't do research on any of this things. I'll try to find some videos on YT.

This is how I configured it and seems pretty nice to me;

adfebe2842f44d7c9eef7a6a81e0bebe.png

I even got an European power cord on that price lol.

This is the best so far but I'd like alternatives though

Are you buying in the US or EU? If you're buying in the EU, then you need to look at OBSIDIAN-PC. They're literally even better than HIDevolution. Somehow. If HID is the gold standard, OBSIDIAN-PC is the Platinum, legendary AAA-rank surpassing S-rank OEM.

2 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

Are you buying in the US or EU? If you're buying in the EU, then you need to look at OBSIDIAN-PC. They're literally even better than HIDevolution. Somehow. If HID is the gold standard, OBSIDIAN-PC is the Platinum, legendary AAA-rank surpassing S-rank OEM.

I'm buying on the US but will be living on EU. I'll check that website and will see if I get something better there.

I'm buying on the US but will be living on EU. I'll check that website and will see if I get something better there.

If you're going to be living in the EU all the time, it's possible that OBSIDIAN will be better (though their prices will include EU tax, which you don't get in the US).

HID is probably the better option, I suppose. Maybe pay for the international warranty?

3 hours ago, D2ultima said:

If you're going to be living in the EU all the time, it's possible that OBSIDIAN will be better (though their prices will include EU tax, which you don't get in the US).

HID is probably the better option, I suppose. Maybe pay for the international warranty?

Obsidian looks amazing but so far the config I did goes over my budget for $200. I think I'll go with HID since it's cheaper (making $ to € is a process that I don't consider cheap).

11 minutes ago, diewhilelive said:

Obsidian looks amazing but so far the config I did goes over my budget for $200. I think I'll go with HID since it's cheaper (making $ to € is a process that I don't consider cheap).

wait what location are you in??? shipping costs alot and it's easier to get a local dealer.

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

Be wary, if you're buying from OBSIDIAN-PC while in the US, subtract 23% from their prices entirely. EU tax only applies if you buy it in the EU.

6 hours ago, Pendragon said:

wait what location are you in??? shipping costs alot and it's easier to get a local dealer.

I live somewhere in South America. I buy most of my stuff when I travel to the U.S since here taxes adds some tremendously 25% - 45% to the final price of imported goods.

4 hours ago, D2ultima said:

Be wary, if you're buying from OBSIDIAN-PC while in the US, subtract 23% from their prices entirely. EU tax only applies if you buy it in the EU.

Now that I see, Obsidian seems to be located in Portugal. That's a big plus since that's exactly where I'm going. Gotta check out the website a little better.

5 minutes ago, diewhilelive said:

I live somewhere in South America. I buy most of my stuff when I travel to the U.S since here taxes adds some tremendously 25% - 45% to the final price of imported goods.

Now that I see, Obsidian seems to be located in Portugal. That's a big plus since that's exactly where I'm going. Gotta check out the website a little better.

Yeah I'd say if you're gonna be in portugal, get from OBSIDIAN.