Best laptop for gaming and software engineering?

Go to solution Solved by D2ultima,
1 hour ago, diewhilelive said:

Yes, I would like all of those things included on that price, my must have's are 16gb ram, at least 1050 for graphic card and 1TB storage. Maaaaybe a little less.

okay so $2500 for the laptop (extra monitors etc are all not counted, I can show you a $2400 laptop and you go "okay great")?

If so, I think the best stretch for your budget would be this http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-p650hs-g-15-6-custom-built-gaming-laptop-w-nvidia-gtx-1070-w-g-sync.html

256GB 850 Pro in the primary SATA slot, 1TB 850 EVO in the second SATA slot (with M.2 drives add-able at later dates)

i7-7820HK

comes with 1070N

1080p 120Hz matte screen

liquid ultra paste

16GB 2400MHz RAM

3 years warranty

You'd need to source your own OS though. Or you could probably drop the 1TB 850 EVO to a 500GB (or buy it on your own, or buy a 1.1TB MX300 m.2 for a lot less to save $$) and get 32GB of RAM etc. I would not suggest the 2666MHz RAM, only the 2400MHz in this instance.

51 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

Yeah I'd say if you're gonna be in portugal, get from OBSIDIAN.

I wash checking and I think I found what I want. Some advice would be appreciated.

Spoiler

2fa75cba0bb7458a96ad62dae1ba94a9.png

This one looks nice to me. Available upgrades I'm willing to get: RAM to 16gb, HDD to 1TB and SSD to 521gb. This is a pre-built, the P650RP6-G GTX 1060 6700HQ.

Spoiler

On the custom side I'm a little lost..

d039e46863634290aa951c4e12b3de03.png

Build #1

This is my one to go so far, but I'm not sure if the CPU is a good choice since it is a i5. This fits my budget but performance will be as nearly as good as build #2?

dc787f94e1fb41d89d8de0324f0ec2bc.png

Build #2

This build is amazing, but is a little over budget since once I convert USD to EUROS it is about $2700.

EDIT: After talking with a support guy, I realized both laptops weight around 3,4kg, this is kind of a problem since I'll have to carry this beast everywhere with me through campus! He recommended the P650 for this matter 

On 5/11/2017 at 8:14 AM, D2ultima said:

okay so $2500 for the laptop (extra monitors etc are all not counted, I can show you a $2400 laptop and you go "okay great")?

If so, I think the best stretch for your budget would be this http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-p650hs-g-15-6-custom-built-gaming-laptop-w-nvidia-gtx-1070-w-g-sync.html

256GB 850 Pro in the primary SATA slot, 1TB 850 EVO in the second SATA slot (with M.2 drives add-able at later dates)

i7-7820HK

comes with 1070N

1080p 120Hz matte screen

liquid ultra paste

16GB 2400MHz RAM

3 years warranty

You'd need to source your own OS though. Or you could probably drop the 1TB 850 EVO to a 500GB (or buy it on your own, or buy a 1.1TB MX300 m.2 for a lot less to save $$) and get 32GB of RAM etc. I would not suggest the 2666MHz RAM, only the 2400MHz in this instance.

5 hours ago, diewhilelive said:

After talking with a support guy, I realized both laptops weight around 3,4kg, this is kind of a problem since I'll have to carry this beast everywhere with me through campus! He recommended the P650 for this matter 

For your budget, I never recommended the desktop CPU models, as you can see right there. Also, intel 8265ac is the wifi card you want.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

8 hours ago, D2ultima said:

For your budget, I never recommended the desktop CPU models, as you can see right there. Also, intel 8265ac is the wifi card you want.

So long story short... What's the best fit for me? Obsidian P650 or HID's Evoc? As I'll be a software engineering student being able to carry this thing everywhere is a MUST.

Gotta say I'm a little confused on what to choose..

3 hours ago, diewhilelive said:

Get an Aero 15 from Gentech with liquid metal for portability. 

if you're going to the US, buy from HID for performance

if you're going to portugal, buy from obsidian for performance

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

14 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

Get an Aero 15 from Gentech with liquid metal for portability. 

if you're going to the US, buy from HID for performance

if you're going to portugal, buy from obsidian for performance

Gonna check that one out. I'm wondering what @D2ultima thinks about it, tho

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

So long story short... What's the best fit for me? Obsidian P650 or HID's Evoc? As I'll be a software engineering student being able to carry this thing everywhere is a MUST.

They're the same computer, both are Clevo P650HS models. HID offers international warranty, and outright prema mods when available, but the international warranty costs more. OBSIDIAN does more work on the systems (lapping heatsinks) and is basically the best company you can buy from on the market. Shit, I'd tell people to buy desktops from them, they're so top tier.

It's up to you what to get, really. Determine the best place to buy from.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

5 hours ago, D2ultima said:

They're the same computer, both are Clevo P650HS models. HID offers international warranty, and outright prema mods when available, but the international warranty costs more. OBSIDIAN does more work on the systems (lapping heatsinks) and is basically the best company you can buy from on the market. Shit, I'd tell people to buy desktops from them, they're so top tier.

It's up to you what to get, really. Determine the best place to buy from.

What's your thought on the Aero 15 by Gigabyte? 

Compact, and powerful

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

4 hours ago, diewhilelive said:

I've seen it is better than the Aero 14 by a mile but if you want solid performance I still would not take it.

I still got a couple of months before I go to get to a conclusion. I'll review the Obsidian P650 and the Aero 15.

Taking but the subject a little bit.. I've read that the keyboard from Clevo laptops are kinda shitty and low-quality, any thoughts on that? @D2ultima

42 minutes ago, diewhilelive said:

Taking but the subject a little bit.. I've read that the keyboard from Clevo laptops are kinda shitty and low-quality, any thoughts on that? @D2ultima

They're not the best in the world, not even close.

I refuse to consider my keyboard low quality, however. I can function just fine on it and it works perfectly for gaming and typing. I can even achieve about 118 words per minute in typing with it on a good day.

As for the P6xxHx series, the keyboard on those are considered to be better than what is on the higher end models, so I'd say you'll be ok.