Ubiquiti reveal new products, bring 10G and high density client support to their products

snowComet

Ubiquiti have just revealed several new products via a post on their forum, which bring high density client support and 10G performance across their AP’s, switches, and gateways.

2500.jpg.83c3959ad5da0ecc5c4708fc0cb466bb.jpg

The new product they revealed are access point "UAP-XG", enterprise gateway router "USG-XG", and switch "SHD". In Ubiquiti's naming scheme, "XG" means 10G support, via 10Gbase-T, SFP+ or others; while "HD" means high density client support. Thus "UAP-XG" means Unifi access point with 10G support. "USG-XG", on the other hand, means UniFi Security Gateway, Ubiquiti's enterprise gateway router with 10G ports, and from the photos attached in the blog post it has 8 SFP+, and 2 RJ45 ports (not know if they support 1G or 10G) on it, with a LCD screen (it is still unknown whether it is a touchscreen or not). 

As for "SHD", I guess it means a new switch, as "S" means switch in Ubiquiti's naming scheme ("US" for Unifi Switch, "ES" for Edge Switch"). From the model name, it probably means switch/switches with high density client support. Unfortunately there are not much info about this.

Pricing and release date is still unknown, but these new products will be complimented by Ubiquiti's new UniFi Elite service, which will be launched later this year. According to the blog post, this service including a complete hosting solution (probably for the Unifi controller), lifetime warranty, advanced RMA replacement, and expert-level phone support.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/Ubiquiti-Announcements-and-News/UniFi-The-Beginning-of-The-Higher-Market-Disruption/ba-p/1919286

*update: "SHD" may actually a new AP, called "UAP-AC-SHD", a 802.11AC Wave 2 Access Point with Dedicated Security Radio. But it is not known what "Dedicated Security Radio" means.

Thx to @sheepbomb for providing this info~

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/AP-AC-SHD/td-p/1836331

https://fccid.io/document.php?id=3201441

27 minutes ago, sheepbomb said:

It's possible the "SHD" is actually a new AP: https://fccid.io/document.php?id=3201441, although it's odd to not prefix it with UAP here...

I'm surprised! Where did u find it? I found that odd too if what u said about SHD is true. Maybe they want to make a new product line under Unifi, as it used dedicated special radio frequency.....

*update: Now I saw the photo again, maybe they didn't use the prefix becoz the SHD is based on the UAP-AC-HD. In the manual, it was stated that the ceiling mount of SHD is the same as UAP-AC-PRO, which is the same for UAP-AC-HD. Thus I think the SHD ver maybe in the same size as the HD ver, and the SHD version maybe based on the HD ver. So they didn't use the prefix becoz SHD ver is a special ver of the UAP-AC-HD....

May I use yr info in my post?

Just now, snowComet said:

I'm surprised! Where did u find it? I found that odd too if what u said about SHD is true. Maybe they want to make a new product line under Unifi, as it used dedicated radio frequency.....

May I use yr info in my post?

Of course, I just ran into it here: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/AP-AC-SHD/td-p/1836331

Any idea on what that rightmost port/panel is on the USG-XG?

2 minutes ago, sheepbomb said:

Of course, I just ran into it here: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/AP-AC-SHD/td-p/1836331

u mean the panel with a little circle on the bottom, next to the RJ45 port? I don't know either....

I hope it is not a reset button though...

• 5 months later...
On 5/11/2017 at 12:47 AM, snowComet said:

u mean the panel with a little circle on the bottom, next to the RJ45 port? I don't know either....

I hope it is not a reset button though...

On 5/11/2017 at 12:42 AM, sheepbomb said:

All new generation Ubiquiti rack units (like the USG-XG, US-L2-48-POE, EdgeRouter Infinity) have that little rectangle on the front right which houses the reset button. The new units also have bluetooth built in for not yet announced reasons. It feels like metal to me, but the rectangle could be an RF transparent window or something else to do with having a bluetooth antenna in an otherwise metal device.

Its not really enterprise grade when they don't have an off switches for the features they have. Things like NAT. Should be simple to click a box and say "I don't need NAT, I'm on a large private network, Ill just turn it off!*4 support tickets and two phone calls later* Oh, i guess I need to wait for a as yet unreleased firmware to do something as complicated as turning a feature off. 

They are so close, yet so far on some of the most basic configuration options. I do not understand how you can implement features that cant be turned off outside of custom loaded json files that only apply correctly 50-60% of the time and don't survive most reboots. 

Great hardware, but has some SERIOUS issues on more advanced configurations. 

Lets play connect the dots!

::::::::::

52 minutes ago, AGrider said:

Its not really enterprise grade when they don't have an off switches for the features they have. Things like NAT. Should be simple to click a box and say "I don't need NAT, I'm on a large private network, Ill just turn it off!*4 support tickets and two phone calls later* Oh, i guess I need to wait for a as yet unreleased firmware to do something as complicated as turning a feature off. 

They are so close, yet so far on some of the most basic configuration options. I do not understand how you can implement features that cant be turned off outside of custom loaded json files that only apply correctly 50-60% of the time and don't survive most reboots. 

Great hardware, but has some SERIOUS issues on more advanced configurations. 

I would still like to see the option to add pxe info via the GUI in the DHCP feature.... pretty basic thing to be able to do with the dhcp feature:)

but performance and stability of the products I have is top notch :)

On 10/26/2017 at 12:48 PM, DonickCo said:

Quite the thread necro you just did there lmao

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just now, NoobCase said:

I would still like to see the option to add pxe info via the GUI in the DHCP feature.... pretty basic thing to be able to do with the dhcp feature:)

but performance and stability of the products I have is top notch :)

I have a full stack in testing. The switching has been great, the wifi has been ok, but the USG portion of the stack is still pretty ripe. Its missing features it should have such as the above ability to not only enable but disable features. I'm on their beta firmware trying to finalize my testing to deploy this out to our branches. Right now, the ability to properly disable nat is about the only thing that has held up adoption of this hardware. 

I have another stack of this hardware/software at home and it is GREAT for a very powerful home network. I love everything it does for home use. It just really isnt ready for adoption(pun intended) into an established enterprise network. 

Lets play connect the dots!

11 hours ago, AGrider said:

It just really isnt ready for adoption(pun intended) into an established enterprise network. 

Until they can prove reliability of the product it won't be - that's the biggest issue with UniFi is the pure reliability of it.