Eagle Scout question

piemadd

When?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that Eagle Scout at 7th grade is proper?

So, a kid at my school got his Eagle Scout a few days ago, because he cut corners. His dad signed off lots of things that he didn't actually achieve. The kid is in 7th grade.

I personally think that somebody should achieve Eagle Scout in 9th grade or above. What about you?

i like trains 🙂

So I got my eagle scout in 2010, I also got the previous one that same year (I actually have three patches with the special  100th anniversary text) but I my troop had a rule that the parents couldn't be the mentor for the person working on the eagle and it had to go through a review board and if there wasn't enough documentation it may not get approved.  For mine I had very little voulenteer help because of the project, required a lot of use of power tools and under 18 couldn't operate them and I had a page with the policy explaining why I didn't have very much volunteer work.  I even brought all of my receipts as well as took pictures at every step.  At the review meeting I had about 20 pages of documents and they were pretty impressed.  I got earlier on in High School but I don't think age matters, but cutting corners I think was wrong I am not sure what he should do but I think the review process should be a little more strict for them and that parents can't be involved with signing off on the project.

Doing it properly i say it is very doable by 7th grade, but that would require a lot of involvement by the kid in question.  

i think 9th grade is probably average give or take for an average kid to achieve it. 

I don't know that I would ask whether it is 'proper' as the circumstances and individual in question are factors on whether a person achieves Eagle.  I think the biggest issue is whether this is an accomplishment of the scout or whether this is an accomplishment of the parents.  There is nothing wrong with having parents involved with the scouts activities, however, it should be the scout that works toward Eagle and not have the parent do the work for them.  From what I've personally seen though, it tends to be the parents that are pushing their scout to Eagle at a young age as opposed to the scout being driven to accomplish it.

2 hours ago, Implosivetech said:

So, a kid at my school got his Eagle Scout a few days ago, because he cut corners. His dad signed off lots of things that he didn't actually achieve. The kid is in 7th grade.

I personally think that somebody should achieve Eagle Scout in 9th grade or above. What about you?

Someone cutting corners is cutting corners. Their age is immaterial and irrelevant.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

They cut corners. Idk if you can do anything but 7th grade is early for an eagle.  I'm 9th grade and star, friends starting eagle projects.  If you are a scout yourself, talk to the district advancement chairman to fix this

sorry I'm a little triggered this is just some bs

His dad isn't supposed to sign off on anything. That's not how scout troops are supposed to work. For merit badges, counselors are not allowed to be your parent, and your parent isn't allowed to sign off on rank requirements. They aren't allowed to do your Scoutmaster's Conferences, and they aren't allowed to sit on your Board of Reviews. Also, there are district and council level committees that have to sign off on the Eagle Scout application before the badge is allowed to be presented to the scout. It would be hard for them to sign off on Eagle Scout for a 7th grader I'm sure, especially if everything was signed off by his dad.

I got First Class within a year of joining. Most scouts don't get First Class that quickly.  

After First Class, there are time requirements for each next rank. First four months of activity in your troop for Star, and four months of holding a leadership position, which can be done at the same time. After Star, you need to be active for six months for Life, including six months in a leadership position. For Eagle, you need to be active for another six months, and another six months of leadership. That's a year and four months of guaranteed waiting after doing all of the Scout through First Class stuff. If he joined in the fifth grade, it would be very improbable for him to achieve even Life before the seventh grade, let alone Eagle Scout.

Cutting corners is not allowed. The only way a scout would be exempt in the case of some merit badges would be because of a disability. Did this scout carry out an Eagle Scout service project that was approved by the District Chairman? Did he earn every merit badge, with councilors other than his parent? Remember, for him to be awarded the rank of Eagle, he has to have submitted all of the proper paperwork, which is looked over by the district and the council. Just because he was given the badge by your troop, that doesn't mean he's an Eagle Scout.

"On my honor, I will do my best. To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; To help other people at all times; To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight." "A Scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent." Sounds to me like this young man is not a scout, rather a cheater and a liar. It's sad since I doubt it's his fault, but instead his father's fault for leading him astray. I hope he changes and doesn't let his parents' bad influence change the way he lives his life. 

I used to be quite active here.

PS: I've seen lots of scouts earn the Eagle Scout rank, our troop is popular for having so many Eagle Scouts. I myself have procrastinated way too long. I'm only finishing my last Eagle Required merit badge and carrying out my Eagle Project now, and I'm seventeen. Stories like the one you posted are gross. Scouts should have integrity. I think you should report him and his dad to your district advancement chairman and let him take care of it. The BSA takes the Eagle Scout badge very seriously.

"On my honor, I will do my best. To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; To help other people at all times; To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight." "A Scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent." Sounds to me like this young man is not a scout, rather a cheater and a liar. It's sad since I doubt it's his fault, but instead his father's fault for leading him astray. I hope he changes and doesn't let his parents' bad influence change the way he lives his life. 

Thank you. In my troop the average eagle is 10th-11th grade. Every troop I have seen has never let a parent sign off on anything. If this did happen, please meet with the advancement chairman and say what has happened. Eagle is a prestigious award that is earned through hard work and leadership. Some people just don't deserve it like this child you speak of. Do a good turn daily

PS: I've seen lots of scouts earn the Eagle Scout rank, our troop is popular for having so many Eagle Scouts. I myself have procrastinated way too long. I'm only finishing my last Eagle Required merit badge and carrying out my Eagle Project now, and I'm seventeen. Stories like the one you posted are gross. Scouts should have integrity. I think you should report him and his dad to your district advancement chairman and let him take care of it. The BSA takes the Eagle Scout badge very seriously.

My cousin waited until the weekend before his 18th birthday to get a board of review. Don't be a life for life. It'll haunt you forever

My cousin waited until the weekend before his 18th birthday to get a board of review. Don't be a life for life. It'll haunt you forever

I'm not cutting it that close. I turn 18 on December 28th, but I'm done procrastinating. I've already planned and funded my project, so I'll be carrying it out soon. My last merit badge is Family Life, and I only have one requirement left, which is the personal family project. I should be finished before July. :)

I have seen some young eagles in my troop. The youngest I've seen complete Eagle Scout was thirteen, but he and his brothers are kinda known for their hard work, so I'm not worried about the legitimacy of his award. I attended his Eagle project. Last night, one of my previous ASPLs got his last Eagle required merit badge, and also presented his project plan to the Scoutmaster. He's also thirteen. I guess he has an excuse, 'cause he's homeschooled and his household has like four or five electronics in total, not counting appliances.

On 5/10/2017 at 1:32 PM, Kobathor said:

I'm not cutting it that close. I turn 18 on December 28th, but I'm done procrastinating. I've already planned and funded my project, so I'll be carrying it out soon. My last merit badge is Family Life, and I only have one requirement left, which is the personal family project. I should be finished before July. :)

I have seen some young eagles in my troop. The youngest I've seen complete Eagle Scout was thirteen, but he and his brothers are kinda known for their hard work, so I'm not worried about the legitimacy of his award. I attended his Eagle project. Last night, one of my previous ASPLs got his last Eagle required merit badge, and also presented his project plan to the Scoutmaster. He's also thirteen. I guess he has an excuse, 'cause he's homeschooled and his household has like four or five electronics in total, not counting appliances.

I mean yeah its possible at 13 but im guessing that this person has been caught by scouts cheating. Getting this by 13 is near impossible and I congratulate this person. My friend is in 7th grade and his father would not let him do his eagle project because of his age. 

2 hours ago, Jskn said:

I mean yeah its possible at 13 but im guessing that this person has been caught by scouts cheating. Getting this by 13 is near impossible and I congratulate this person. My friend is in 7th grade and his father would not let him do his eagle project because of his age. 

You also can't do an Eagle Project until you're Life. Though, I think it would be weird for somebody to restrict their kid from doing something because of age alone.

3 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

You also can't do an Eagle Project until you're Life. Though, I think it would be weird for somebody to restrict their kid from doing something because of age alone.

Hes life alright. 

20 hours ago, Jskn said:

The kid was 12

ಠ_ಠ

i like trains 🙂