Going from MX Brown to MX Red?

Twister

So I been using mx brown switches for 3+ years now and I wanna buy a new keyboard but sadly there is no mx brown for this keyboard so I been looking at mx red for it , im wondering if it will be a huge difference and if I will be unsatisfied with the purchase if i switch from mx brown to mx red? have anyone else switched from brown to red switches before? are they huge different or small? 

2 minutes ago, Twister said:

So I been using mx brown switches for 3+ years now and I wanna buy a new keyboard but sadly there is no mx brown for this keyboard so I been looking at mx red for it , im wondering if it will be a huge difference and if I will be unsatisfied with the purchase if i switch from mx brown to mx red? have anyone else switched from brown to red switches before? are they huge different or small? 

It depends on you and your typing style. Personally, my cousin has a MX brown K70, and he likes the tactile bump a lot so he found my brother's Reds (G610) to be too "smooth" since the switch is linear. He didn't like my keyboard at all (MX silver) because mine sets off at a slight tap to the switches.

If you like to bottom out your keys, I don't think you'll see a difference.

I would recommend trying to go to a local store and trying the switches there. It'd be better than guessing / regretting a keyboard purchase.

I kind of was lucky and my first keyboard was silver (speed switch) so I got used to the light weight keys / really fast key response / shorter travel distance.

Yes, it will be a huge different. I recent change from MX red to MX blue. Blue is kind of same as brown. MX red do not have that clicky feeling

I dont have a local store nearby sadly where I can test the switches.

I ordered a MX blue but hugely disliked it because it was so different from mx brown (much stronger acuation force and louder) so I had to refund it. 

Red acuation force is 45 nn

Brown is 45 nn to register key but maxes at 55 nn (at bottom)

I dont think I push the button entirely down when I type (maybe when I game) , I don't push hard on keys when I type or game really. I guess that is why I never bashed any of my console controllers buttons ever into being non functional. (PS4, PS3, PS2 controllers) all the button registers feels like new when I click on them.

Blue is very heavyset and noisy, honestly if someone is in the room with you they will think homicidal thoughts of you within 1000 words if you get a blue. However some people like the clicky action. Red is like a membrane keyboard that went to the gym a little and now has some resistance, very nice for people who like to touch-type and fly through keys. The Browns you're used to is like a mix of the two. Honestly at this point in time I prefer the reds since I can bring my keyboard to work and not make people want to jump out of windows. 

1 minute ago, Dogeystyle said:

Blue is very heavyset and noisy, honestly if someone is in the room with you they will think homicidal thoughts of you within 1000 words if you get a blue. However some people like the clicky action. Red is like a membrane keyboard that went to the gym a little and now has some resistance, very nice for people who like to touch-type and fly through keys. The Browns you're used to is like a mix of the two. Honestly at this point in time I prefer the reds since I can bring my keyboard to work and not make people want to jump out of windows. 

Agree,I have a MX blue. I really like the feeling however I hate the noise so every time I need wear my earphone to type anything

I thought the blue was great if I wanted to write long articles though. But seriously, it was horrible to game on. The clicky noise even disturbed the game feeling. 

Sure browns sounds too when you type on them, but they more feel like I think should be a normal sound when you type on a keyboard if your a non writer. If your a normal typer and gamer. I am just wondering if someone have personal experience going from mx browns to mx reds and how they feel about it. Regret? Loved it? Refunded red? too big difference so couldnt adapt to red? I heard red is good for gaming and not for typing and brown is both. Does it mean red is impossible to write on? I mean I have a pretty good sense where to place my fingers when I type. I dont look at the keyboard when I type. I have done tests with mx brown and got over 100 WPM benchs. Sure brown gives you the feel when you have pressed the button, doesn't red give that? Is it just mushy like membrane keyboard like people say? Like a membrane keyboard but mechanical so it last longer. 

Dogeystyle do you game on your mx red or just type?

Zehao i think you would enjoy brown much more if you ever feel to buy a new kb.

Just now, Twister said:

I thought the blue was great if I wanted to write long articles though. But seriously, it was horrible to game on. The clicky noise even disturbed the game feeling. 

Sure browns sounds too when you type on them, but they more feel like I think should be a normal sound when you type on a keyboard if your a non writer. If your a normal typer and gamer. I am just wondering if someone have personal experience going from mx browns to mx reds and how they feel about it. Regret? Loved it? Refunded red? too big difference so couldnt adapt to red? I heard red is good for gaming and not for typing and brown is both. Does it mean red is impossible to write on? I mean I have a pretty good sense where to place my fingers when I type. I dont look at the keyboard when I type. I have done tests with mx brown and got over 100 WPM benchs. Sure brown gives you the feel when you have pressed the button, doesn't red give that? Is it just mushy like membrane keyboard like people say? Like a membrane keyboard but mechanical so it last longer. 

Dogeystyle do you game on your mx red or just type?

Game and type. The red is also good for gaming since believe it or not your clan mates mute you when they hear the blue clacking on the mic. The red isn't mushy at all, it's more of a subtle/smooth feel. They still make a noise but only because that's the keys physically hitting the backplate of the keyboard (at least on the Corsair K70 I use).  I don't know how else to describe other than it feels like a really good chiclet keyboard with 4x the travel. If you're at that speed you'd probably like the reds more for long articles since typing fast on a blue actually tires out your hands after a while. The keyboard stereotypes are completely subjective, so when I bought my first mech I honestly didn't know where they were coming from.

Yes I noticed that. Blue made my fingers tirely. Brown's dont somehow. I dont know why. I guess cause browns is 45 nn and blues is 55 nn. Less force required to type on a brown. (same force as red) but red's not with tactile. So Dogey, let me ask you. 

1) Have you used a mx brown before ?

2) Can you type fast/good on mx red and, do you easily make typing errors/mistakes on your mx red board? (like accidently pressing F key instead of G or D key or pressing down Y key when your gonna press T key so you press down both like "TY"/"YT"?

My first mech was a Ducky mx brown. I was so happy.

My 2nd mech was a Corsair mx brown. I knew brown felt rich for me, so I went with brown again. Again the switch didnt was a bad choice, however the quality of typing on was better on ducky then corsair. (not saying corsair is a bad keyboard brand) but just ducky's keyboard felt better to type on. felt smoother somehow. But corsair have the wrist thing to rest your wrist.

My 3rd mech was Ducky mx blue. I was not happy. I refunded it. The force to type was too much and it didnt feel good to type on. My fingers hurt after over an 2 hour use on it, and it was so damn noisy that it even ruined my game experience.  

Now I dont want Mx black cause I know mx black is even heavier then blue. Also white clear is heavier then brown. 

And oh yeah I have a joint disease so my fingers hurt like when i do things so I need like "soft" things where I dont need much force to press a key. That why I couldn't deal with blues, and browns work.

14 hours ago, Twister said:

1) Have you used a mx brown before ?

2) Can you type fast/good on mx red and, do you easily make typing errors/mistakes on your mx red board? (like accidently pressing F key instead of G or D key or pressing down Y key when your gonna press T key so you press down both like "TY"/"YT"?

I've only used it for a bit with my cousin's keyboard. I ah, thought the keys felt like reds (force wise), but not linear.

I think that really depends on the person. Like a lot of people say the silvers are terrible for typing but I actually type better on my silvers than my brother's reds. It's personal preference for sure though. The silvers are indeed very easy to set off. I'm more worried that you're used to MX brown and the switch to linear might be very "odd" to you.

Ah, do note that I think ducky does some key batch checking since they always seem to nail down switch quality (I love my ducky keyboard)