new ryzen build, msi b350m mortar arctic won't post

pinkgoat

I have a MSI B350m mortar arctic that i can't even get to post to BIOS. 

parts list :
ryzen 5 1600
MSI B350m mortar arctic
sapphire RX 580 pulse 4gb
geil evo X 2400mhz white 2x8gb

the first time I assembled the rig according to manual (2nd and 4th ram slots) it doesnt post and gave me a CPU and RAM red light in the EZ debug led.

what I have tried :
- swapping the ram channels using both and single ram sticks. no post, when I put a single stick into the 1st and 3rd slot as opposed to 2nd and 4th like the manual said, I only get a red light in CPU from the EZ debug led. otherwise I will get both light on. but still won't post.

- removed the GPU no post

- swapping the GPU into a known working sapphire R7 card, no post

- swapping the RAM sticks into a single TEAM elite and g.skill 8gb ram sticks. no post, with these setups, the debug led switches between CPU and RAM

- swapping the motherboard to a biostar b350 and using the intial set. no post.

- biostar b350, rx580, team 8gb.  posted!

- then i proceed to test the geil evo on an intel rig and the ram works just fine.

- since the rx580, and ryzen chip worked on the biostar board and the geil evo x works fine in an intel rig, I confirmed that all the parts works.

i initially tried it in a case. but after the first attempt and swapping rams slots didnt work, i removed the components from the case and started working on it outside the case. by the time i tried with the team and g.skill rams, everything are already outside of the case. 
the problem is i cant get the msi mortar arctic posted on any setting I have. I also don't have a ryzen 7 chip to test if the board will post on it. and since i cant post the board i currently have no way of updating the BIOS on the board nor do I know what BIOS the board is currently running.

as for the geil evo x rams themselves, the biostar b350et2 board i used listed support for GEX416GB2133C15DC while the msi mortar arctic listed support for GEXW416GB3200C16DC. my particular kit is GEXW416GB2400C16DC. not sure if this change anything though. since all of them are the same series of ram kits..
although again, when i tested the kit on an intel setup, my geil kit worked normally on that intel setup

any tips or anyone running the same parts?

the mortar arctic page in MSI website also stated that its compatible with ryzen 5 1600 and the geil evo x (although the website stated the 3200mhz version rather than my 2400mhz ver)

• 4 weeks later...

So I came across this yesterday as I have the same board and CPU, and mine wouldn't post either.  Ended up being that it wouldn't goto the monitor using the hdmi cord.  It ended up working with a display port cord, and probably would have with a vga cord if I had one.  Hope this helps

i am having the same problems with this mobo too, the red lights indicate on ram and cpu, im gone try to use ram slot 1 and 3 and see what happens. but i wonder, has anyone figured out the cpu indicator?

I've now gotten it to work by trying to switch the ram around in the different sockets, and by trying to start without GPU, removing the battery on mobo a coupple of times and suddenly the led indicators stopped lighting up, then i installed the GPU, and it all worked out fine :)

(My setup: Ryzen 7 1800x, Mortar Arctic B350m, corsair vengeance 2x8GB 3200MHz, ASUS Strix 1080 8G )