GPU Accelerated Video Editor

Rune

So, I won a copy of Sony Movie Studio Platinum a while back, and I've been using it fairly successfully ever since. Only recently have I noticed that it doesn't support GPU acceleration past the 4XX series (due to Sony/Magix being beyond terrible in updating it) and I was wondering what other relatively cheap editors could be a better choice? Davinci Resolve refuses to accept any files over 30 seconds for some reason, and powerdirector 15 doesn't seem to support 1440p60.

Thanks for your time.

15 minutes ago, Rune said:

So, I won a copy of Sony Movie Studio Platinum a while back, and I've been using it fairly successfully ever since. Only recently have I noticed that it doesn't support GPU acceleration past the 4XX series (due to Sony/Magix being beyond terrible in updating it) and I was wondering what other relatively cheap editors could be a better choice? Davinci Resolve refuses to accept any files over 30 seconds for some reason, and powerdirector 15 doesn't seem to support 1440p60.

Thanks for your time.

DaVinci Resolve refuses to accept files over 30 seconds long?  That's strange, the only time the free version of Resolve has had problems for me is on exporting when the drive/folder for the export destination does not have enough storage space.

Have you checked the project settings?

Are you sure you have the latest version of Resolve?

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

9 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

DaVinci Resolve refuses to accept files over 30 seconds long?  That's strange, the only time the free version of Resolve has had problems for me is on exporting when the drive/folder for the export destination does not have enough storage space.

Have you checked the project settings?

Are you sure you have the latest version of Resolve?

I have. The file appears to import, and even plays in the preview window, but any time any changes are made to it, the video goes black, the audio mutes, and then shortly after it crashes.

why do you need it gpu accerlated?

Id argue the best editor for most these days is premiere pro. Elements is a fine cheaper option.

10 minutes ago, Rune said:

I have. The file appears to import, and even plays in the preview window, but any time any changes are made to it, the video goes black, the audio mutes, and then shortly after it crashes.

What's your workstation rig setup?

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

23 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

What's your workstation rig setup?

Same as in my sig. 16gb of ram as well.

33 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

why do you need it gpu accerlated?

Id argue the best editor for most these days is premiere pro. Elements is a fine cheaper option.

Small youtube channel.

3 minutes ago, Rune said:

Same as in my sig. 16gb of ram as well.

And storage drives setup?

8 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

And storage drives setup?

Footage stored on a pair of sandisk extreme pros in raid 0, program stored on boot drive ocz vector 4.

4 hours ago, Rune said:

Footage stored on a pair of sandisk extreme pros in raid 0, program stored on boot drive ocz vector 4.

OK then your storage setup shouldn't offer that much issue, how much free space in each?

Just now, AkiraDaarkst said:

OK then your storage setup shouldn't offer that much issue, how much free space in each?

Over 400gb each.

7 minutes ago, Rune said:

Over 400gb each.

That's fairly enough space for Resolve to work, not sure why you are having crash issues.

The only video editors that will fully utilize every GPU in your system are, as far as I know:

• Autodesk Flame and associated products
  • Nuke and associated products

Premiere, After Effects, DaVinci Resolve, etc. will utilize it depending on the effects you've applied to your videos.  But they will all use the GPU when previewing the video in the timeline.

4 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

That's fairly enough space for Resolve to work, not sure why you are having crash issues.

The only video editors that will fully utilize every GPU in your system are, as far as I know:

• Autodesk Flame
  • Nuke

Premiere, After Effects, DaVinci Resolve, etc. will utilize it depending on the effects you've applied to your videos.  But they will all use the GPU when previewing the video in the timeline.

Hm...I have not yet tried After Effects. I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Rune said:

Hm...I have not yet tried After Effects. I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

Premiere is a video editor, After Effects is a motion graphics and compositing software.  AE doesn't allow you to do many of the things Premiere does, and vice versa.  And AE can be a bit slower and more resource hog than Premiere.

Just now, AkiraDaarkst said:

Premiere is a video editor, After Effects is a motion graphics and compositing software.

....that is probably why I have not yet tried it xD

43 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Premiere is a video editor, After Effects is a motion graphics and compositing software.  AE doesn't allow you to do many of the things Premiere does, and vice versa.  And AE can be a bit slower and more resource hog than Premiere.

Premiere pro seems to have done the trick. Now to debate whether or not its worth the $20 a month...

If you're looking for a free alternative, Kdenlive supports hardware acceleration, and is quite a useful video editor.

4 hours ago, Mooshe said:

If you're looking for a free alternative, Kdenlive supports hardware acceleration, and is quite a useful video editor.

Free is always good. Thanks!

16 hours ago, Rune said:

Premiere pro seems to have done the trick. Now to debate whether or not its worth the $20 a month...

Technically you can get "different" trial keys but I think it's against forum rules to tell you what file to modify and how to modify it so it doesn't detect that you changed it. And as far as I know it only works with photoshop and illustrator.