Coaxial to Ethernet?

Ham1234

Ok so my family wants a new router and we were looking at getting the ASUS RT-AC66U.

The problem that i am having is that we get our internet to our house through coaxial and in the pictures of the router on ASUS's website i cant find a coaxial port 

so i was wondering if it is possible to turn a coaxial cable into an Ethernet cable

Corsair 350d, Asus Gryphon Z87, Intel i5 4670k 4.5 GHz, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengence 16gb 1600 MHz,

AMD Radeon 260x, Corsair CX600, OCZ Vetex 450 128gb, Seagate 2 TB 

You need a modem...

Sorry im dont know much when it comes to networking whats the differanse

Corsair 350d, Asus Gryphon Z87, Intel i5 4670k 4.5 GHz, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengence 16gb 1600 MHz,

It's very complicated and it will take me ages to explain everything, but essentially this is what you need being put in the simplest way possible...

internet connection - modem - router - switch/hub - network devices (computers, printers, etc...)

It's very complicated and it will take me ages to explain everything, but essentially this is what you need being put in the simplest way possible...

internet connection - modem - router - switch/hub - network devices

Ok so my ISP gave us a box that the coaxial plugs into and it has ethernet ports to plug into and a wifi network.

The reason that we are upgrading is because the box they gave us just cuts out sometimes and doesn't work until we un-plug the power cable and plug it back it.

What im getting is that if i was to get the asus router than i would have to plug it into the box that my ISP gave me.

Ok so my ISP gave us a box that the coaxial plugs into and it has ethernet ports to plug into and a wifi network.

The reason that we are upgrading is because the box they gave us just cuts out sometimes and doesn't work until we un-plug the power cable and plug it back it.

What im getting is that if i was to get the asus router than i would have to plug it into the box that my ISP gave me.

You run a ethernet line from your ISP's box to the router

You run a ethernet line from your ISP's box to the router

But the problem that we are having is with the box from my isp

Do i need to call my isp and get a new box. 

I guess so

Like the other people have already said, you still need a modem and the AC66U does not have one built in. If your have issues with your correct router, which does have a modem built in then contact your ISP and request a new one before starting to buy new things.

In most cases, the ISP provides a modem. Sometimes they also offer a modem that has built in router (but in most cases their routers are crap)

So get the modem, hock up the coax cable to it, and hock an ethernet cable from the modem to a router.

Where is your modem at? in a confined space desktop? It may just be getting hot and needs a reset. but Yes you need a modem to convert coaxial to ethernet.

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

It could also be that there is not enough or to much signal reaching the modem preventing it from working correctly. i would have a tech come out and look at it.

Main rig: i7 4790k, Cooler H55, EVGA GTX 980, Corsair Obsidian 250D, ASRock H97M-ITX/ac, G.Skill 8GB, 500GB 840 EVO, 1TB WD Black

Server:  HP DL380 G5 8x 300GB 10k Sata drives, 2x e5460 32GB Ram

NAS: Synology DS213 with 2 2TB WD Red Drives

your ISP can give you a modem, you tell em to bridge it and then basically you got coax converting to cat5e

work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder, make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better, do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster, raise ur ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, DONGER! ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

You would want something like this http://www.jmcsecure.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=BARJ45&gclid=CL-l_eCJ-7oCFTLJtAod8gMAAQ

It allows to use an normal router on a coax connection. By the way Coax is a type of ethernet. what everybody refers to as an "Ethernet cable" is actually an UTP / STP cable. Ethernet is just a method of transferring "packets" of data across an cable..

there are several different types of Ethernet :

10 base 5 =(coax)

10/100/1000 base t (10/100/1000 mb/s (rj 45 connector)

and many more. Fibre is even technically Ethernet. 

Sorry for the little rant but it does get on my nerves a little bit  :mellow:

Out of curiosity what internet speed are you getting? if your on coax it must be pretty bad :/

Break it. Put it back together.Then hope like hell it works. Failing that Use Gaffer Tape.... lots of it. If that doesn't work then either there isn't a problem or you haven't used enough gaffer tape,

another suggestion could be that you disable wireless on the original router then plug the new one into that. To do this you will need to disable DHCP on the new router otherwise you would be having two IP's being dished out - very confusing !

a nice little guide is here http://www.labnol.org/software/add-router-to-wireless-network/

if you need any help setting it up then just give me a quick PM :)

Break it. Put it back together.Then hope like hell it works. Failing that Use Gaffer Tape.... lots of it. If that doesn't work then either there isn't a problem or you haven't used enough gaffer tape,

You would want something like this http://www.jmcsecure.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=BARJ45&gclid=CL-l_eCJ-7oCFTLJtAod8gMAAQ

It allows to use an normal router on a coax connection. By the way Coax is a type of ethernet. what everybody refers to as an "Ethernet cable" is actually an UTP / STP cable. Ethernet is just a method of transferring "packets" of data across an cable..

10 base 5 =(coax)

Out of curiosity what internet speed are you getting? if your on coax it must be pretty bad :/

Based on this, the thread should be remained to COAXIAL TO RJ45.

oh and im on coax getting 30 down which is pretty baller in Aus

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

10 base 5 =(coax)

I got a coax coming in ( well at least i think so, pretty sure ) and i get around 120mbps down and 6mbps up

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

I believe you are referring to taking a coax connection that goes to your ISP and plugging it directly into the router. What you need to do is get a cable modem, if you are using an upgraded infrastructure than you can pick up a modern DOCSIS 3.0 modem from your local Walmart. There relatively cheap and you plug your ASUS Wireless Router into the modem. If you have any other Network related questions please PM me.

10 base 5 =(coax)

Frankly, this is a terrible suggestion. The OP needs a proper DOCSIS 2.0/3/0 modem, not some adapter that changes coaxial to ethernet. While such an adapter MIGHT work, it wouldn't support any of the useful, modern, features of Cable Internet, such as channel bonding etc. His downstream would be limited to a single channel, which is definitely slower then his 30mbps speed.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)