Google and Huawei under class action investigation for Nexus 6P premature shutdown bug

EunSoo

Source: http://amp.hothardware.com/news/google-and-huawei-under-fire-for-nexus-6p-premature-shutdowns

The Nexus 6P was a renowned phone when it came out and it is still a great phone but now the phone is getting a lot of criticism. Chimicles & Tikellis LLP is investigating a potential class-action against Google.

According to user complaints cited by the law firm, consumers are reporting a battery issue that causes the phone to power down when the battery gauge still shows anywhere from 10-60 percent of battery life remaining. Some reports suggest it's a bug in Android 7.0 Nougat, but even after flashing back to Android 6.0 Marshmallow, affected users say the problem persists.

Google has identified the issue as "low-priority" and have not stated any indication to fix the bug. Huawei has also been refusing warrenty requests to get their phone serviced saying that the issue is a problem with google's software and not their hardware. 

Yet other Nexus 6P owners are complaining that their handsets are getting stuck in a boot loop, where the phone continually restarts without ever fully booting into Android. This happens until the battery runs dry. Even wiping the phone's memory and reflashing Android doesn't seem to fix the issue. The law firm says that points to a hardware issue, not a software one.

LG also had a similar issue with their G4 and V10 phones stating that the issue was caused by "loose contact between components." But they never issued a recall or gave a "satisfactory remedy" to affected customers.

Has anyone here had a similar issue with their 6P? I haven't with mine but I am interested to see how many people have been affected by this bug.

i had a 6p since launch, no issue so far. my friend had this issue with his 6p but a battery replacement fixed it. 

Sounds like google half asses their phones. 

Every nexus has an issue after some time... I thought it was LG's fault but its now happening to Huawei too so its Google's fault and they knew it from beginning. 

Im so fucking disappointed. When my Nexus 5X starts having problems I will be done with google phones. 

Hopefully return of Nokia can make budget smartphone market great again.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

1 hour ago, Thony said:

Hopefully return of Nokia can make budget smartphone market great again.

Image result for nokia 3310

3310, anyone?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

First LG over the G4 and V10, now Google and Huawei. Can anybody make a working phone in this day of age??? /s

And here I am thinking about repurchasing a Nexus 6P second hand because I loved it so much, and I want another device to use until Apple gets their shit together and fixes my issues with iOS.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Ive had my 6P since release and never had an issue with it shutting down.

I follow the 6p subreddit and its a shit show. I just cant believe Google and Huawei is being sued when this is a fucking known issue with battery life after degradation. I mean it happens to plenty of other phones and is most known on iPhone 5s, 6 and 6s and is quite common, but no one is suing them.

I am using a 6p right now, but Google Fi hasn't updated me to 7.0 for some reason. I have not had the issue, but maybe because of the lack of updates. I definetly had the problem on my LG G4, that was a pain. 

4 minutes ago, Inkz said:

I am using a 6p right now, but Google Fi hasn't updated me to 7.0 for some reason. I have not had the issue, but maybe because of the lack of updates. I definetly had the problem on my LG G4, that was a pain. 

Are there any plans for Fi to come to different countries

My life

I know a lot of iPhones had an issue like this my phone happens to always die randomly does that mean I can sue Apple?

Alnair (Main PC):

CPU: i9-7900X with EK Supremacy RGB and SE 360 radiator

RAM: 32 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 MHz

MB: Gigabyte X299 Gaming 7

GPU: GTX 1070 Founder’s Edition

PSU: EVGA 850 G3

SSD: WD Blue M.2 1tb, Sandisk SSD Plus 1tb

Mistle (NAS):

CPU: Pentium G3258 with stock cooler

RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury DDR3 1600 MHz

MB: MSI H81M-E33

GPU: Intel integrated 

PSU: 500w Cooler Master

HDD: 2 x 2tb WD Red in RAID 1

Armakarth (NAS/3D modeling station/my old computer)

CPU: i7-4790K with Hyper 212

RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury DDR3 1600 MHz

MB: MSI Z97-G45

GPU: EVGA GT 740 SC

PSU: 750W Sentey

SSD: Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB

HDD: 2 x 2tb WD Red in RAID 1, 2tb Seagate Barracuda, 1tb WD Blue

The Pizza Cooker (server):

2x quad core 2.66 ghz Xeons

16gb DDR2 FBDIMM

3 minutes ago, david31160 said:

I know a lot of iPhones had an issue like this my phone happens to always die randomly does that mean I can sue Apple?

If you have a 6S with this issue apple offers free battery replacement.. So probably can't sue them since they are doing something about it.

And the solid grounds to sue is...?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, Cheezdoodlez said:

If you have a 6S with this issue apple offers free battery replacement.. So probably can't sue them since they are doing something about it.

The problem with Apple is that they wait it out until the warranty expires. So by the time the free repair program comes into action, people would've already paid to have it replaced or have moved onto another device. Even then, I can't imagine any grounds to sue despite how scummy it is.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

18 minutes ago, Himommies said:
Before we get started...
Have a different account to sign up with?
Project Fi is available only for accounts in the US.

they advertise coverage in 135 countries and territories. I imagine any account in those areas will work.

List of areas:

https://fi.google.com/about/rates/

15 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

they advertise coverage in 135 countries and territories. I imagine any account in those areas will work.

List of areas:

https://fi.google.com/about/rates/

You have to use a US account to sign up and register a plan.It's like how Verizon has international calling

My life

54 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

The problem with Apple is that they wait it out until the warranty expires. So by the time the free repair program comes into action, people would've already paid to have it replaced or have moved onto another device. Even then, I can't imagine any grounds to sue despite how scummy it is.

Well at least with the 6s program they say you can contact them for a refund if you have fixed it before. But I suspect there is a lengthy disclaimer attached to that statement. But atleast they are acknowledging the problem and offering to fix it so a lawsuit would probably not work. 

I have owned my 6P since september 2015, and i have no issues with this battery shutdown problem most 6P owners are having. and yes, it is quite a prevalent case. just view the xda forums. 

though i can say that battery life has taken a huge nose dive.. it's really hard to hold onto the 6P now. i suppose i can swap out the battery but disassembling this thing is quite difficult and likely that i'll break something (most likely the visor). 

huh, my battery life is just as fine. But the one I have is a refurbished replacement after I broke my first one

6 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

I have owned my 6P since september 2015, and i have no issues with this battery shutdown problem most 6P owners are having. and yes, it is quite a prevalent case. just view the xda forums. 

though i can say that battery life has taken a huge nose dive.. it's really hard to hold onto the 6P now. i suppose i can swap out the battery but disassembling this thing is quite difficult and likely that i'll break something (most likely the visor). 

The curved glass is like 5$ on ebay. I got mine off without breaking it.

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

The curved glass is like 5$ on ebay. I got mine off without breaking it.

hm, i wonder what kind of modding you can do to a phone like the Nexus 6p. Once my 2 years is up and I get a new phone I'm going to mess around with it.

6 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

hm, i wonder what kind of modding you can do to a phone like the Nexus 6p. Once my 2 years is up and I get a new phone I'm going to mess around with it.

I wanted to 3D print a case for mine and wire like 3 more OEM batteries to the original, and extend the fingerprint reader. Thats the issue with battery cases, they make the fingerprint sensor useless