GPU getting hotter (60 degrees to 80 degrees), possible sensor problem?

SilverMight

So, I'm used to my GPU running at a good 60 degrees celsius at max load. A few benchmarks also show that my GPU, the ASUS Strix ROG GTX 1060 runs at a cool 60 degrees centigrade at load. However, within the past month, it's been getting up to the 70's. I wasn't worried about it at first since the max recommended was 90 degrees; however today I launched MSI Afterburner while playing Rust to see that my GPU was apparently running at 82 degrees celsius, which was alarming to me. I turned the GPU fan speed to 80%, which started to cool down to 70. After 30 seconds, I set it back to auto. Then it was running at 70 degrees centigrade again.

Any reason why this was happening? Maybe a bad temperature sensor? It's been running at 70 degrees now for 10 minutes.

sounds like bad air flow in your case honestly... 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

when did you buy it?

if ambient temps in the space the PC occupies increased, then that could explain the sudden rise in temps

if they've been constant, and you're not comfortable with the high temps, a repaste might help, but asus stuff is decent from the factory

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

3 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

I'm just using the 200mm fan included on the case. Should I open the side panel and see if anything changes? 

2 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

when did you buy it?

if ambient temps in the space the PC occupies increased, then that could explain the sudden rise in temps

if they've been constant, and you're not comfortable with the high temps, a repaste might help, but asus stuff is decent from the factory

I'm less concerned about it being 70 degrees - I'm assuming that's just spring at work, but why would it show 80 degrees? It's never gotten that hot.

Just now, SilverMight said:

I'm less concerned about it being 70 degrees - I'm assuming that's just spring at work, but why would it show 80 degrees? It's never gotten that hot.

could be a strange temp reading by afterburner

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Dust in heatsink? Even though it's not a blower type cooler, dust still builds up in the heatsink.

Just now, callum92 said:

Dust in heatsink? Even though it's not a blower type cooler, dust still builds up in the heatsink.

Possibly, I'm getting some air duster soon

6 hours ago, legacy99 said:

lol

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 5800x
  • Motherboard
    Asus ROG Strix B550
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200MHz 32GB (16x2)
  • GPU
    EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080TI
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R5
  • Storage
    WD Black SN750 500GB NVMe SSD | WD Green 2TB HD | WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 850W
  • Display(s)
    Asus 1920x1080p 144hz
  • Cooling
    Cooler Master Master Liquid 240
  • Keyboard
    Logitech Pro TKL
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Sound
    Logitech G733
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

12 hours ago, SilverMight said:

Possibly, I'm getting some air duster soon

That should really be one of the first things you check when GPU temps don't seem right, it is for me at least. You probably don't even need compressed air to clean it, with those types of coolers you can usually just remove the fans with a couple screws and brush of the layer of dust that builds up on top of the heatsink with a soft paintbrush.

Found a fix - just replaced my CPU fan from the stock cooler to a Cryorig H7, cools much better and causes the case temperature to be much cooler. In the end, the GPU is much cooler now.