GTX 650 only works when drivers are not installed

H0R53

My GTX 650 works fine until I install the drivers. It was fine up until maybe 4 or 5 days ago, then it started to not work, and now it doesn't work period unless drivers for it are unloaded.

I had it in my main rig, and then just installed my 1050ti drivers, and it worked fine for a while. 

I just put it in my Precision (instead of the FX 3800 that was in it) and immediate after the driver was being installed by nVidia Installer the screen went black and the card 'shut off'.

What the heck is going on? Is the card toast?

Try to force a reboot after the screen goes black and boot back into Windows

If it is still black reboot again and spam F8 as it is booting.

You want to boot into safe mode and then install the latest drivers from the nvidia website

If spamming F8 does not get you into safe mode force shut down the computer mid boot to get safe mode on the next boot

If none of this works you will need to uninstall all of the software from nvidia and manually install the driver using Device Manager. You will also need to research how to stop Windows Update from updating the driver as well. But this scenario is unlikely and should be fixed above

Just now, crashahotrod said:

1. Try to force a reboot after the screen goes black and boot back into Windows

2. If it is still black reboot again and spam F8 as it is booting.

3. You want to boot into safe mode and then install the latest drivers from the nvidia website

4. If spamming F8 does not get you into safe mode force shut down the computer mid boot to get safe mode on the next boot

5. If none of this works you will need to uninstall all of the software from nvidia and manually install the driver using Device Manager.

6. You will also need to research how to stop Windows Update from updating the driver as well. But this scenario is unlikely and should be fixed above

1. I usually do that after it does by switching the PSU off or pressing the reset button but the reset button doesn't always work for this.

2. I know how to boot safe mode.

3. I tried that. First I installed the 650 drivers in safe mode with just the 650. Black screen during normal boot right before login screen appears.

4. Windows 7

5. I should try DDU, right?

6. I do that every time I install Windows.

1 hour ago, crashahotrod said:

Try to force a reboot after the screen goes black and boot back into Windows

If it is still black reboot again and spam F8 as it is booting.

You want to boot into safe mode and then install the latest drivers from the nvidia website

If spamming F8 does not get you into safe mode force shut down the computer mid boot to get safe mode on the next boot

If none of this works you will need to uninstall all of the software from nvidia and manually install the driver using Device Manager. You will also need to research how to stop Windows Update from updating the driver as well. But this scenario is unlikely and should be fixed above

Using the latest driver for the 1050ti off the nVidia site, installed in Safe Mode after running DDU - still happens. The card works on driver for 2 seconds and I can move the mouse across my screens just fine before it shuts off and shits it pants. I'm ready to throw it out my 3rd floor window.

I'm running in Safe mode now.

I have the same issue with my gtx 780ti since i wanted to update to the latest driver.

And now i cant even rollback to an older version i get the problem  everytime now doesn't matter wich version i try.

Everything works fine untill i install any nvidia driver then windows wont boot but bios and  safe mode works just fine.

Can anyone help? I dont now what to do...

PS Sorry for bad english :|

3 hours ago, Cooperr said:

I have the same issue with my gtx 780ti since i wanted to update to the latest driver.

And now i cant even rollback to an older version i get the problem  everytime now doesn't matter wich version i try.

Everything works fine untill i install any nvidia driver then windows wont boot but bios and  safe mode works just fine.

Can anyone help? I dont now what to do...

PS Sorry for bad english :|

Yeah, I would rather not throw away a $150 GPU

Yes, and the card works even in linux so why should i buy a new one when the driver or windows is the problem...

Yesterday i tryed clear cmos, Bios update, Windows fresh install and about 5 or 6 driver verions nothing helps.

19 hours ago, Cooperr said:

Yes, and the card works even in linux so why should i buy a new one when the driver or windows is the problem...

Yesterday i tryed clear cmos, Bios update, Windows fresh install and about 5 or 6 driver verions nothing helps.

I will try Linux on the Precision testbench. I have not tried that yet. It's NAS anyway.

On 4/14/2017 at 1:58 AM, Cooperr said:

I found out what the problem was. There are two resistors on the card's motherboard missing.