Using headphones with Yamaha Silent Cinema causes distortion?

Hey guys,

I use a pair of Goldring NS-1000s with a 1/4 inch adapter to plug them into my Yamaha RXV381 AV receiver. They sound amazing when you use the speakers on their own, but when I plug my headphones in, they sound quiet and slightly distorted. Haven't tried playing music, but have used them to try to watch movies online and Fresh Prince on Netflix and it's the same result.

What should I do? Is there something I'm missing?

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

3 minutes ago, SSL said:

What speakers are we talking about here? I'm a little confused.

I'm not talking about the speakers, I'm talking about the headphones. I was saying the speakers sounded fine (they're Tibo Mini Edges if that matters) but the headphones were quiet and distorted.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/12/2017 at 1:34 AM, Dude said:

I use a pair of Goldring NS-1000s with a 1/4 inch adapter to plug them into my Yamaha RXV381 AV receiver.

I have the same issue with RXV481. Sound becomes normal in Direct mode.

Did you change the receiver?

On 2017-5-5 at 10:42 AM, nesquik said:

I have the same issue with RXV481. Sound becomes normal in Direct mode.

Did you change the receiver?

I haven't tried direct mode, how do you get onto that?

On 5/8/2017 at 9:43 AM, Dude said:

I haven't tried direct mode, how do you get onto that?

Selection_344.png

Seems like 381 does not have this mode. Sorry.

I tried to find out from the Yamaha officials whether this defect is software, but they don't seem to know. I had to return the receiver for repair. And now I have to wait up to 45 days. Thank you, Yahama :(