Hp Server Motherboards.

So I Have a question. I have a HP ProLiant G5 with a Intel Xeon 3065 cpu. The Motherboard has a Large Heatsink On her and theres nothing on the manuals About it. My main Curiosity is that The thing that the heatsink is covering looks just like another cpu but I Dont see a socket there. Im Still new to server hardware in general so a litlle help would be nice.

Im Portuguese So sorry For the bad english.

S_18866-MLB20161433930_092014-O.jpg

Probably the chipset. It could be the onnboard GPU, but I doubt it (if you see anything that looks like a bare die, like a laptop CPU would like, that's the onboard GPU, and the heat-sinked part is just the South Bridge)

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Probably the chipset. It could be the onnboard GPU, but I doubt it (if you see anything that looks like a bare die, like a laptop CPU would like, that's the onboard GPU, and the heat-sinked part is just the South Bridge)

The Thing Is I compared It to The CPU and it is exactly The same Like If it is a second cpu. The onboard Graphics is prety unlikely but might Be the thing. Im Just Courius of what it might be.

The XEON CPU does not utilize graphics on the chip itself.  Many server boards have a GPU chip that processes minor graphics for a single video output, since video is  generally not the primary purpose of servers.  VGA is often the output so it can be connected to a KVM switch.  However, there are now more modern KVM switches with newer style DVI & HDMI connections, and most servers now use remote connections for access.  The GPU and VGA port are legacy for basic initial setup.  

2 minutes ago, Doramius said:

The XEON CPU does not utilize graphics on the chip itself.  Many server boards have a GPU chip that processes minor graphics for a single video output, since video is  generally not the primary purpose of servers.  VGA is often the output so it can be connected to a KVM switch.  However, there are now more modern KVM switches with newer style DVI & HDMI connections, and most servers now use remote connections for access.  The GPU and VGA port are legacy for basic initial setup.  

Ok Man. Thanks So much For the help. as I said Im still new to server components. Now That I know that I'll Take Closer Look Into It to see what else I can Find about it. thanks!

37 minutes ago, Afonso Regufe said:

Ok Man. Thanks So much For the help. as I said Im still new to server components. Now That I know that I'll Take Closer Look Into It to see what else I can Find about it. thanks!

Usually, these just have 2 points on a pressure wire that you can easily release.  I frequently remove the heatsink, then remove the factory thermal pad, and replace with a good thermal paste, and mount the heatsink back.  On occasion, I've mounted a small fan to help with cooling.  This is not fully required on server mainboards, but helps if you want to overclock, or have better case thermals.

22 minutes ago, Doramius said:

Usually, these just have 2 points on a pressure wire that you can easily release.  I frequently remove the heatsink, then remove the factory thermal pad, and replace with a good thermal paste, and mount the heatsink back.  On occasion, I've mounted a small fan to help with cooling.  This is not fully required on server mainboards, but helps if you want to overclock, or have better case thermals.

Ye Not realy Going to overclock. But one thing: How do you released it? I cant take it off its stuck. I Remove the pressure points and It is stuck. Maybe thermal paste glued it?

Carefully, but firmly, do a 90-degree twist.  It might be good to change out the paste.  Some of the pastes used on my servers have also become hardened over time, and then cracked.  This would contributed to early death to the chip or bad thermals.  I would definitely recommend changing it.

2 minutes ago, Doramius said:

Carefully, but firmly, do a 90-degree twist.  It might be good to change out the paste.  Some of the pastes used on my servers have also become hardened over time, and then cracked.  This would contributed to early death to the chip or bad thermals.  I would definitely recommend changing it.

Ok Thank You For The Tips. Im Going To try it out!