Faulty extarnalhard drive

ItsMinJunLol

Hi! My friend's hard drive seemed to fail today. He told me that for a few days, he couldn't access the hard drive at all, no matter what he plugged it into. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but his mom used it last, and this happened. There's a lot of important photos and files in that hard drive, which is basically necessary to recover. Is there any way that I can recover this at home? I use a mac, if that might be a problem, I can bootcamp, but I really don't want to but I will if it's totally necessary. Today, I visited and found out that the hard drive was empty. It shows up, but it's empty. Is there any way I can recover those files? Something like the Sandisk pro thingy that you can use to recover the lost files. I know that when you delete, unless you're using those really secure methods, it compresses the disk's contents to a really small file that can be extracted. Does Seagate have one of those apps? His is a 2 tb backup plus slim by Seagate.

The question is, how can I recover this hard drive's files? Can someone please tell me a reliable data recovery app?

P. S. Yes, we can always put this in A/S for data recovery, but the warranty period is over, so unless it's the only option, we won't be doing that.

There is the freezer method.. Lol but seriously have you tried putting the drive into a normal PC via SATA?

Intel G4560

EVGA 1050Ti OC'd to 1895Mhz Core

4GB Avexir core series DDR4-2400Mhz

16GB HyperX DDR4-2400Mhz

Have them double check any drivers or software the device requires.

34 minutes ago, ItsMinJunLol said:

P. S. Yes, we can always put this in A/S for data recovery, but the warranty period is over, so unless it's the only option, we won't be doing that.

Never heard of a consumer grade warranty period, in which the manufacturer will recover lost data. They usually just send a replacement drive if it's really broken.

A while ago I made a small mistake where I lost lots of data. Used google to search for "data recovery software", and found alot. Some worked for me, others didn't. So you might want to try a few different onces who pop up in google. (can't remember which one I used)

15 hours ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Never heard of a consumer grade warranty period, in which the manufacturer will recover lost data. They usually just send a replacement drive if it's really broken.

A while ago I made a small mistake where I lost lots of data. Used google to search for "data recovery software", and found alot. Some worked for me, others didn't. So you might want to try a few different onces who pop up in google. (can't remember which one I used)

Yes, I've tried but they cost a lot of money, but I see hope because it sais that it has 853 mb used, which I think it might be the compressed ver.

15 hours ago, Dark Manor said:

Have them double check any drivers or software the device requires.

What do you mean? Those Seagate backup plus are plug & play

16 hours ago, Johnathon said:

There is the freezer method.. Lol but seriously have you tried putting the drive into a normal PC via SATA?

I think the freezer is way too risky. Also, since this is a external drive, I don't want to remove the cover unless it's totally neccesary. It shows up on my mac tho.

4 hours ago, ItsMinJunLol said:

Yes, I've tried but they cost a lot of money, but I see hope because it sais that it has 853 mb used, which I think it might be the compressed ver.

What do you mean? Those Seagate backup plus are plug & play

I think the freezer is way too risky. Also, since this is a external drive, I don't want to remove the cover unless it's totally neccesary. It shows up on my mac tho.

Forgot to put /S

Intel G4560

EVGA 1050Ti OC'd to 1895Mhz Core

4GB Avexir core series DDR4-2400Mhz

16GB HyperX DDR4-2400Mhz

Oh.. my friend had a similar indecent and it was some software she accidentally deleted.

On 4/4/2017 at 5:13 AM, ItsMinJunLol said:

Hi! My friend's hard drive seemed to fail today. He told me that for a few days, he couldn't access the hard drive at all, no matter what he plugged it into. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but his mom used it last, and this happened. There's a lot of important photos and files in that hard drive, which is basically necessary to recover. Is there any way that I can recover this at home? I use a mac, if that might be a problem, I can bootcamp, but I really don't want to but I will if it's totally necessary. Today, I visited and found out that the hard drive was empty. It shows up, but it's empty. Is there any way I can recover those files? Something like the Sandisk pro thingy that you can use to recover the lost files. I know that when you delete, unless you're using those really secure methods, it compresses the disk's contents to a really small file that can be extracted. Does Seagate have one of those apps? His is a 2 tb backup plus slim by Seagate.

The question is, how can I recover this hard drive's files? Can someone please tell me a reliable data recovery app?

Hello. This is the Seagate forum team. If none of the available free recovery software works, Seagate does also have services for recovering lost files here. Let us know how this works out for you!

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

16 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

Hello. This is the Seagate forum team. If none of the available free recovery software works, Seagate does also have services for recovering lost files here. Let us know how this works out for you!

First of all, holy jesus I didn't expect Seagate to reply to this. LTT forums are great :0

Sadly, none of the recovery software works, and I personally think 100$ is a bit too much for a one-time use software, so I'll probably take it to one of those Seagate recovery lab things. Thanks for the suggestion though!