Ryzen 1700 Overclocking problem is driving me crazy!

Hey all,

So I can overclock my 1700 to 3.8 easily but when I try to bump the RAM speed up from the stock speed of 2133Mhz it won't post.  If I set my RAM to 2933Mhz it won't post unless the CPU multiplier is set to auto. So basically I have to choose between stock CPU speeds or stock RAM speeds. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this or have any ideas?  If I just have to wait for a BIOS update to get both which would you choose?  I personally think faster RAM speed is more important because AMD's infinity fabric runs at half the speed of RAM if I'm not mistaken.

Any input is appreciated!

Specs

Ryzen 1700

Asus Prime x370 Pro  Running the newest BIOS on the website

G-Skill Aegis 3000Mhz

PSU XFX 1050 Pro 80+ Gold

10 minutes ago, Fraser Cow said:

Asus Prime x370 Pro  Running the newest BIOS on the website

BIOS Version 0511 released 3/23/17?  I know that some of the Mobo manufacturers are slowly releasing BIOS revisions that are supposed to be improving memory speeds and compatibility.  As for whether to go with the OC or RAM speed boost at the moment, I think that would depend on what task you're working on.  If it's just gaming, I would go with the RAM speed, but if content creation, I would probably go for the CPU OC.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/amd_has_reportedly_released_new_agesa_microcode_for_ryzen/1

Thanks guys! I shall eagerly await the new BIOS. Would be nice if they would fix the buggy mess that is Asus Aura too...

I get the same issue with my FM2+ CPU(880k) With 4.4ghz, it works awesome with default voltage. When I go for 4.5ghz after windows log on, in like 10 minutes it crashes, saying clock bla bla issue. Tried raising the voltage, nothing happened. Also tried to raise both CPU Clock and Memory speed to 1666 and I was getting the same issue.

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

Just an update for anyone who cares... I downgraded my bios to 0504 and now I'm able to get 3.7 Ghz on all cores and 2666Mhz on my RAM. I'll have to wait for a new bios and my AM4 adaptor to push things higher (still on the stock cooler).

On 3/24/2017 at 11:27 PM, R3ep3r said:

I get the same issue with my FM2+ CPU(880k) With 4.4ghz, it works awesome with default voltage. When I go for 4.5ghz after windows log on, in like 10 minutes it crashes, saying clock bla bla issue. Tried raising the voltage, nothing happened. Also tried to raise both CPU Clock and Memory speed to 1666 and I was getting the same issue.

If your OC doesn't work no matter the voltage and RAM speed, you may be hitting your limit. However, if it depends on RAM speed, you may need to increase your CPU NB voltage and make sure you are running the HT link as fast as it allows (2400 or 2600, I think). You can try this by seeing if using the slowest JEDEC profile available allows you to be stable at 4.5. If so, try increasing CPU NB voltage and switching to the RAM's OC profile (I'm assuming your RAM is rated for higher speeds to begin with).

OP: I'm not sure if something similar may arise in Ryzen. Linus mentioned some setting that sounded like good-ol' CPU-NB voltage, but he went quickly over it and dismissed it as "scary stuff, don't touch it", so I don't really know if it works the same way and whether it can help you.

Check this out.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Well I turned my VDDCR SOC Voltage up to 1.225 right from the start but it still won't post at 2933 unless the CPU is at stock, even if I change the timings manually it won't post unless the CPU is at stock.  I guess this motherboard likes the RAM he's using in the video more than my cheap G-Skill stuff.  With my CPU at 3.85Ghz and my RAM at 2666 I think I'll be okay until they release the new BIOS.