First time buying a Pc

Tjclone42

First time buying a Pc and wanted some info first. I'm in the US and my budget is around 3k$-4k$. I want to mainly use it for 4k gaming but later I want to get back into 3d art. Usually I'm cheap but I'm going all out so I don't have to upgrade later.

Don't want to water cool or overclock. Planned parts were to use what ever is newest Nvidia card(sli later). Intel processor (powerful so I don't need to upgrade for a while), at least 16gigs ram. If you think something would be better feel free to post why.

Also I need a good 4k monitor. It can exceed the main amount, if needed I can get one later.

Thank you

If it really has to be an Intel build, wait a few months, since there will be the skylake refresh in q3 or q4, possibly with a focus on higher core count, with some significant upgrades. If you want one now, get Ryzen. If it is purely for gaming, buying a 7700k build is also enough.

If you're really into building it now, I would go Intel as Ryzen is still new and has bugs to work out. As for overclocking, Intel K sku processors are easy to overclock and generally with a good air cooler you can get a good bump w/o any worry about breaking stuff. As for graphics cards, I wouldn't overclock them anyways, what's 1-5fps anyways...

If you don't mind waiting a few months, well, then you could take Ryzen into account, a few reviewers have said " we need bios updates, because the overclock just isn't good "

AsRock X99 Taichi MB // Intel Core i7-6800k Overclocked @ 4.0GHZ // Noctua NH-U14S Cooler // Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 // EVGA GeForce 980Ti SC+ // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD // 2TB WD Gold HDD // Corsair RM850 PSU // Corsair Obsidian Series 750D // Asus VG248QE 144Hz

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 // Intel Core i5-3570k Overclocked @ 4.2GHZ // Noctua NH-L9x65 Cooler // Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 // EVGA GeForce 960 // 250 GB WD Blue HDD // EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80+ GOLD // Corsair Carbide Series 100R

1 minute ago, Firebirdss said:

PcPartPicker Link In my opinion its great for something i threw together and it has a lot of expandability options in both ram processor (later on) and GPU.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Firebirdss80/saved/#view=fv3Mpg

This is ridiculous, there is ABSOLUTELY no need for a 1600W power supply, just, no.

1000W max.

Ryzen 1700, 2x GTX1080, 3x HDD, 4x DDR4 = 512 watts give or take.

AsRock X99 Taichi MB // Intel Core i7-6800k Overclocked @ 4.0GHZ // Noctua NH-U14S Cooler // Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 // EVGA GeForce 980Ti SC+ // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD // 2TB WD Gold HDD // Corsair RM850 PSU // Corsair Obsidian Series 750D // Asus VG248QE 144Hz

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 // Intel Core i5-3570k Overclocked @ 4.2GHZ // Noctua NH-L9x65 Cooler // Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 // EVGA GeForce 960 // 250 GB WD Blue HDD // EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80+ GOLD // Corsair Carbide Series 100R

8 minutes ago, SorcierX said:

This is ridiculous, there is ABSOLUTELY no need for a 1600W power supply, just, no.

1000W max.

Ryzen 1700, 2x GTX1080, 3x HDD, 4x DDR4 = 512 watts give or take.

I agree. Even 1000W can be considered overkill these days. If I was to build a PC now, I would also go for a Ryzen build. Since he wants an intel build, I would maybe be patient and wait for a few months, before I invest into an intel build (skylape-ep to be released etc.)

These are basically the same PC, monitor etc. 32GB of some of the best RAM available, 1080 ti and quality mobos in a beautiful case.  I suggest the RYZEN system as I see a shift t omore cores in the next few years and I believe RYZEN 7 will outlive intels current i7s by at least 2 years (give or take)

i7 7700K, all around and solid for gaming
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tqkFqk

RYZEN 7, chose 1800X for best plug and play without OC

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

This would be my build. But I'm biased cause it's pretty much what I have, minus the latest graphics cards / extra ram and Monitor

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BYg24C

2 minutes ago, SorcierX said:

This would be my build. But I'm biased cause it's pretty much what I have, minus the latest graphics cards / extra ram and Monitor

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BYg24C

Why get 6800 if RYZEN exists?

11 minutes ago, Damascus said:
These are basically the same PC, monitor etc. 32GB of some of the best RAM available, 1080 ti and quality mobos in a beautiful case.  I suggest the RYZEN system as I see a shift t omore cores in the next few years and I believe RYZEN 7 will outlive intels current i7s by at least 2 years (give or take)

i7 7700K, all around and solid for gaming
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tqkFqk

RYZEN 7, chose 1800X for best plug and play without OC

They're infact NOT "basically the same PC", the Ryzen is an 8core 16thread and the 7700k is a 4core 8thread, that's a huge difference for productivity. Everything else might be the basically the same, but, you can't even compare the 2 processors for productivity, assuming what you're doing thrives on more cores, more threads.

As for Ryzen outliving Intel's current i7's, probably true, but it's too early to tell.

We've had this drought from AMD which didn't force Intel to do anything with newer technology in processors, AMD just came out with a HUGE statement, RYZEN.

Intel WILL fire back, I'd like to think it won't matter, and that maybe RYZEN will hold the budget market place, but I honestly don't think that will be the case.

Just now, SorcierX said:

"basically the same PC"

Talking about everything but MOBO/CPU and CPU cooler.  

They are massively different CPU's and while I agree its likely intel will fire back with an at least decent line-up RYZEN is the best option right now

I bought mine before Ryzen.

And why I'd still go Intel before Ryzen right now, is because Ryzen is weak at overclocking, whether it's BIOS tweaks that need to be made or just not being a strong overclocking dye.

JayzTwoCents on youtube, recently put up a benchmark of his 6950X vs 1800X, Overclocked to the same speed. The 6950X beat the 1800X rendering by 3minutes. But there is a very big price difference between the 2 processors.

To the OP: Honestly I'd wait to see what Intel releases later this year before buying a system. Ryzen is too new ( at least for my tastes ) and Intel chips are still more expensive.

Thank you for the posts. What is a ryzen, which one is having problems and whats the new one coming out in a few months? Also what the differences between amd cpu's and Intel cpu's? Is sli better one the 1080 or 1080 ti?

Ryzen is the new AMD build, it's not having any major problems, however, every video I've seen of people trying to overclock the processor cannot get as good of an overclock as Intel chips.

Intel Kaby Lake ( current gen processor ) is 14nm

Intel Cannon Lake are supposed to be coming out 2nd Half 2017 is 10nm ( NEW technology, smaller dye )

http://wccftech.com/intel-kaby-lake-q3-2016-cannonlake-q3-2017/

Intel Tiger Lake is supposed to be coming out 2018 and is on 10nm

http://wccftech.com/intel-10nm-cannonlake-ice-lake-tiger-lake-cpu/

Posted the source after looking for a few minutes.

Again, I know you said you don't want to overclock, but it's really not as scary as you might be thinking and is totally worth it. ( free performance over stock!!!!! )

6 minutes ago, SorcierX said:

Ryzen is the new AMD build, it's not having any major problems, however, every video I've seen of people trying to overclock the processor cannot get as good of an overclock as Intel chips.

Intel Kaby Lake ( current gen processor ) is 14nm

Intel Cannon Lake are supposed to be coming out 2nd Half 2017 is 10nm ( NEW technology, smaller dye )

http://wccftech.com/intel-kaby-lake-q3-2016-cannonlake-q3-2017/

Intel Tiger Lake is supposed to be coming out 2018 and is on 10nm

http://wccftech.com/intel-10nm-cannonlake-ice-lake-tiger-lake-cpu/

Posted the source after looking for a few minutes.

Again, I know you said you don't want to overclock, but it's really not as scary as you might be thinking and is totally worth it. ( free performance over stock!!!!! )

Know any guide for over clocking?

If that's not the guide you like, search Youtube for CPU Overclocking Guide, there are tons of videos.

5 minutes ago, SorcierX said:

If that's not the guide you like, search Youtube for CPU Overclocking Guide, there are tons of videos.

OK so amd for now but Intel if I'm going to overclock now and what would I get for the overclocked Intel? Do motherboards only take Ether amd or Intel? The plan was to buy the parts in a couple weeks. Also what are nm and cores?

Edited by Tjclone42

A motherboard only supports Intel or AMD, not both.

AMD is the cheaper option for more cores, more threads ( better for productivity ).

Intel is more expensive, but it overclocks better than AMD for now at least.

AMD Ryzen is new, there are still tweaks to be made, this is the 1st new architecture AMD has put out in something like 10 years.

The biggest thing AMD Ryzen has going for it is PRICE per Core Count.

You can buy a Ryzen 7 1700 - 8core 16thread processor for $329USD on Newegg.com

- Dual Channel Memory

- Base Frequency 3.0GHz

- Max Turbo Core Speed 3.7GHz

-

--Most stable overclock I've heard of is 4.0GHz (on air, or otherwise)

Intel's cheapest 8core - 16thread processor on Newegg.com is $1049.99

- Quad Channel Memory

- Base Frequency 3.2GHz

-

--I've seen overclocks of 4.5GHz (on air)

Sorry, took a little bit to find all the details for this post.

15 minutes ago, SorcierX said:

A motherboard only supports Intel or AMD, not both.

AMD is the cheaper option for more cores, more threads ( better for productivity ).

Intel is more expensive, but it overclocks better than AMD for now at least.

AMD Ryzen is new, there are still tweaks to be made, this is the 1st new architecture AMD has put out in something like 10 years.

The biggest thing AMD Ryzen has going for it is PRICE per Core Count.

You can buy a Ryzen 7 1700 - 8core 16thread processor for $329USD on Newegg.com

- Dual Channel Memory

- Base Frequency 3.0GHz

-

--Most stable overclock I've heard of is 4.0GHz (on air, or otherwise)

Intel's cheapest 8core - 16thread processor on Newegg.com is $1049.99

- Quad Channel Memory

- Base Frequency 3.2GHz

-

--I've seen overclocks of 4.5GHz (on air)

Sorry, took a little bit to find all the details for this post.

All good. So sense I don't mind spending more and Overclocking go for the Intel. So for 4k gaming is that holding at 60fps? I'm more or less trying to get ready for red dead. What's the name of the Intel chip?

Edited by Tjclone42

Well, in your original post you said you were going to be doing 3D Art on it in the future, 1st thing you need to do is check to see if whatever software you'll be doing this on, benefits from higher core and higher thread count while rendering, I assume it does, but you still need to check. If it doesn't then you don't need one of these 8core - 16thread processors.

You also need to ask yourself, do I mind using a NEW product ( that's what AMD Ryzen is ), it's NEW NEW.

If you don't mind using something fresh off the assembly line that hasn't seen action in 10years, go AMD Ryzen.

Almost forgot, are there 4K movie discs drives?

There apparently are, Blu-ray drives that read 4K discs, I'm not sure which one's exactly, I haven't had any kind of ROM drive in PC in probably 10 years.

While this isn't a Linus video, this video shows the difference for real world editing differences between the top line AMD Ryzen processor vs top line Intel processor.

*spoiler* Intel is 3 minutes faster than the AMD Ryzen for over twice the cost $$.

If it was me I'd buy a 4k HDR GSync monitor, two 1080 Ti in SLI, and a 7700k with 32GB of RAM on that kind of budget. This is the system I would build for myself  on that budget. The monitor is supposed to be released by the end of the month, and is the first HDR GSync monitor I believe. I threw in a liquid cooler because of looks, RAM compatibility, and since it's crazy to not overclock a little at least when running a really high end gaming system.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($327.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler  ($149.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z270-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($158.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($214.97 @ Jet) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($177.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar NAS 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($154.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founders Edition Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($698.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founders Edition Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($698.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($115.89 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($88.58 @ OutletPC) 
Other: LG 32UD99  31.5 inch HDR 4k GSync monitor ($999.00)
Total: $3875.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-23 00:57 EDT-0400