ideal monitor size 24 or 27 at 1080p

Adam Crow

I'm looking to upgrade my monitor but i can't find an article with a solid suggestion. what would be a ideal size for 1080p. i'll be upgrading from a 21.5 tft monitor 60Hz. 

i like a 27 inch viotek  but i'm hesitant on the purchase because it's a one time investment i desire to want to make, any suggestions would greatly help my stressed out mind. i appreciate it. budget is between $200-$300

What is your current rig?

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

1 minute ago, Moress said:

What is your current rig?

My Current Setup

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming
CPU: AMD FX-6300 (OC to 4.1)

MoBo: MSI 970 Gaming
Memory: 24 GB RAM (16GB Dual Channel, 8GB Single Module)
Monitor: Asus VH222H 1920 x 1080, 60Hz

it's nothing fancy right now but i feel my monitor being so old that it's affecting my performance. also, i want a decent monitor for when i do build a new pc in the future

Depends on how far you sit from the screen and your eyesight.

I would say that if your eyes are further than 1m from the screen then 27".

1 minute ago, Adam Crow said:

My Current Setup

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming
CPU: AMD FX-6300 (OC to 4.1)

MoBo: MSI 970 Gaming
Memory: 24 GB RAM (16GB Dual Channel, 8GB Single Module)
Monitor: Asus VH222H 1920 x 1080, 60Hz

it's nothing fancy right now but i feel my monitor being so old that it's affecting my performance. also, i want a decent monitor for when i do build a new pc in the future

You'd be better off saving that money for an upgrade to your CPU. Upsizing your screen isn't going to do much. You would need to get either a high refresh, higher res, or Gsync(Nvidia) / Freesync(AMD) to really feel a difference. And your rig couldn't really do anything with those atm besides a ~100hz Gsync and that would cost a lot more than your budget.

The only thing I could think of would be a decent IPS 24" monitor. Itll give you a better image but wont make you better at games. (No screen will really..)

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/X4s8TW/dell-monitor-u2417h

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

As @WereCat said, if your eyes are further than 1m(which in my situation are not) then the 27" should work. I totally agree.

Since you said there's no articles about monitors and whatsoever, I'll give you the link to mine and say why I love it.

http://www.dell.com/ed/business/p/dell-p2717h-monitor/pd This is my monitor. Dell P2717H

I love it mainly because of the IPS Panel. It is really awesome. No backlight bleeding, great colors, nice response (6ms), 60hz.

One thing that might cause trouble for some people is the resolution. It is a 1080p.

The stand is awesome. It's made out of some nice quality material. Not sure if plastic or aluminium. It is heavy enough to keep your monitor on the desktop and make sure it won't fall. Also it is fully adjustable. You can tilt it to 90deg, raise or lower it and even turn it at 15. ((These are some great features if you tend to work a lot and need maybe some portrait images))

All in all, I would suggest you this monitor. I bought it for only 240 or 250$ and I do not regret that.

PS: it's 60hz, no g-sync or freesync.

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

21 minutes ago, Moress said:

You'd be better off saving that money for an upgrade to your CPU. Upsizing your screen isn't going to do much. You would need to get either a high refresh, higher res, or Gsync(Nvidia) / Freesync(AMD) to really feel a difference. And your rig couldn't really do anything with those atm besides a ~100hz Gsync and that would cost a lot more than your budget.

The only thing I could think of would be a decent IPS 24" monitor. Itll give you a better image but wont make you better at games. (No screen will really..)

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/X4s8TW/dell-monitor-u2417h

purchasing a new CPU isn't logical at the new releases of chips. i'm not trying to invest in a whole new rig to see the same imagery of a 5ms 60hz monitor that's showing age.