Why is the Nexus 6P Camera failing?

Acorn Eyes
Go to solution Solved by iamdarkyoshi,

Never have I angrily repeated this phrase so many times...

front.jpg

So I bought an AS-IS 6p, the only issue was the rear camera not focusing otherwise it's in like new condition.

When it arrived the camera worked fine, it was like they messed up and basically sent me a like new 64gb 6p worth $500, but the I installed a custom ROM with no reports of cameras not focusing. But for me it did not.

I installed a camera app so I could control the focus, I could only focus either max focal distance, or slightly below. Just those two options, no in-between.

So I don't think it's the A/F since when you look at the camera it snaps from all the way extruded to slightly back with no in-between when manually focusing.

Now normally I would attribute this to a bad camera, but the seller said it wouldn't focus but it did when it arrived (I don't know if he factory reset without checking the camera or something along those lines.) So I'm stumped what the issue is. 

I don't care if the camera needs replacing as I ordered the replacement preemptively with the phone.

Don't talk about stale memes.

2 minutes ago, Acorn Eyes said:

When it arrived the camera worked fine, it was like they messed up and basically sent me a like new 64gb 6p worth $500, but the I installed a custom ROM with no reports of cameras not focusing. But for me it did not.

stock rom no reason to root, you get all the pixel feature except for filled in onscreen buttons, i am having zero issues with the 6p camera, had it since launch. 

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

My brand new 6p is useless focusing... it can do it, it just doesn't put effort into it. The minimum focus distance is shit too

Same experience here. I love my phone but the camera is probably the most disappointing part, good thing I don't really use it so I don't care much. But I've never had any serious issues with it.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

Same experience here. I love my phone but the camera is probably the most disappointing part, good thing I don't really use it so I don't care much. But I've never had any serious issues with it.

...6p disappointing camera .....ok... 

7 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

stock rom no reason to root, you get all the pixel feature except for filled in onscreen buttons, i am having zero issues with the 6p camera, had it since launch. 

No, not only is the pixel launcher vastly superior, there are little bits and pieces that only the pixel has that are undeniably useful.

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

It can take nice photos if you set it up correctly, something you can do nothing of with the stock software

i use stock software, no problem so far.

Just now, Acorn Eyes said:

No, not only is the pixel launcher vastly superior, there are little bits and pieces that only the pixel has that are undeniably useful.

pixel software seems dumb to me, stock 6p is very similar to pixel also the launcher can be installed with a apk 

5 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i use stock software, no problem so far.

pixel software seems dumb to me, stock 6p is very similar to pixel also the launcher can be installed with a apk 

Why is there no manual control of ANYTHING?

They used to have brightness, not anymore!

Here's an HTC thunderbolt, but you probably couldn't tell.

803734975_71356.jpg

This was the seventh photo I took before it focused. 

Utterly useless. This HTC thundetbolt had a FANTASTIC camera, could take macro photos with ease, and just generally worked.

5 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Never have I angrily repeated this phrase so many times...

front.jpg

+1 for AvE references

5 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Why is there no manual control of ANYTHING?

They used to have brightness, not anymore!

Here's an HTC thunderbolt, but you probably couldn't tell.

that's sucks, you might have a defective unit. 

6 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

This HTC thundetbolt had a FANTASTIC camera, could take macro photos with ease, and just generally worked.

i will coldheartedly disagree with that statement. i used to have that phone lasted me 2 months, i had old shitty family cameras that took better photo, slow shutter, the camera took forever to start on stock software with horrible lag that made my i phone 2g look fast. 

Autofocus on my Nexus 6p work completely fine. I don't understand why you have problems

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking