Can anyone suggest a solid 4k@60Hz HDMI Switch?

As the title suggests, I am looking for a 4k 60Hz capable HDMI Switch.

It's not a complete necessity at the moment, but let's just call it future proofing. I've been browsing around trying to find a decent HDMI Switch to use in my next media center upgrade. I currently have my Gaming/Work PC connected up to a 3 monitor/1 TV setup  (so pretty much an array of 4 outputs in an Upside-down T formation, with the current 45' 1080p)

Anyways, that kinda irrelevant so I'll get to the point. My current TV only has 2 HDMI inputs, and I currently have a PS4 Pro on the way (Super excited for all the new releases this year) and figured it'd be a good time to take care of this.

I plan to be using these devices with it.

-PS4 Pro

-Output from my PC

-An Amazon FireTV

-Pref. at least one extra open slot, but can live with only 3.

Do any of you know of/use an HDMI Switch that has confirmed specifications I laid out? I mean I don't technically need the full functionality right now, but in the future I plan on getting a 4k TV so taking care of this now would be ideal.

Tl;Dr

I have been browsing around but I've had mixed reviews of some products and want to take the opportunity to see what you all think. Needs at least 3 HDMI inputs, and be 4k@60Hz capable.

22 minutes ago, Selinus said:

Tl;Dr

I have been browsing around but I've had mixed reviews of some products and want to take the opportunity to see what you all think. Needs at least 3 HDMI inputs, and be 4k@60Hz capable.

I'd just go with a entry-level AVR from Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, Pioneer... just make sure it has the HDMI certifications you need.
Sure it's an increase in price but anyone serious enough about video/audio quality should consider this. And it's not that expensive.

Some of the cheapest I could find: 
https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-S510BT-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B00YAO43YG/ref=lp_8106548011_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1489595821&sr=1-1
HDMI2.0a, 4K Ultra HD/60Hz, 5.1 sound

I only recommand it if you are short on money though. The very good AVR starts around 400$, which is not that much for what they does.

[Insert smart comment here]

5 minutes ago, jldjul said:

I'd just go with a entry-level AVR from Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, Pioneer... just make sure it has the HDMI certifications you need.
Sure it's an increase in price but anyone serious enough about video/audio quality should consider this. And it's not that expensive.

Some of the cheapest I could find: 
https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-S510BT-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B00YAO43YG/ref=lp_8106548011_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1489595821&sr=1-1
HDMI2.0a, 4K Ultra HD/60Hz, 5.1 sound

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

For now I'll try and see if I can't keep an eye out for something with a bit of a smaller form factor.

For instance, couldn't something like this be a cheaper alternative? (though with obviously a lot less functionality)

19 minutes ago, Selinus said:

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

For now I'll try and see if I can't keep an eye out for something with a bit of a smaller form factor.

For instance, couldn't something like this be a cheaper alternative? (though with obviously a lot less functionality)

Sure, it would work, but IMO the limitations are not worth the price. No HDR, no more than 18GBPs, weird backward compatibility with HDMI1.4, multiple problems according to comments... 

I mean, this is the digital equivalent of a jack splitter. As long as your HDMI sources are perfect and all the way compatible with each other, you'll be good, but right when you'll want a new source, a 4K upgrade, using an PC with old HDMI, you'll be screwed.

An AVR actually process the HDMI signal. First, it separates the audio to associated speakers (assuming you care about audio quality, this is as good as it gets for this price). Second, it can improve image where your TV might struggle (especially with upscaling in 4K). Third, it can do "passthrough" mode and handle weird/uncompatible signals, even from analog sources, audio only...
And I'm not even mentionning the new connectivity features most AVR comes with, like networking, USB, bluetooth, remote control via smartphone, Spotify...

If you really are short on money, take the HDMI switch as a temporary solution for a future upgrade. If you're not, keep those 50$ for a PS4 game and get an AVR + speakers (I'd say around 400$ for a 2.1 good budget set).
Also, if you're concerned about size, see the Marantz and Yamaha "slim" lines. The width don't change a lot but it's quite slim.

1 minute ago, jldjul said:

Sure, it would work, but IMO the limitations are not worth the price. No HDR, no more than 18GBPs, weird backward compatibility with HDMI1.4, multiple problems according to comments... 

I mean, this is the digital equivalent of a jack splitter. As long as your HDMI sources are perfect and all the way compatible with each other, you'll be good, but right when you'll want a new source, an upgrade, using an PC with old HDMI, you'll be screwed.

An AVR actually process the HDMI signal. First, it separates the audio to associated speakers (assuming you care about audio quality, this is as good as it gets for this price). Second, it can improve image where your TV might struggle (especially with upscaling in 4K). Third, it can do "passthrough" mode and handle weird/uncompatible signals, even from analog sources, audio only...
And I'm not even mentionning the new connectivity features most AVR comes with, like networking, USB, bluetooth, remote control via smartphone, Spotify...

If you really are short on money, take the HDMI switch as a temporary solution for a future upgrade. If you're not, keep those 50$ for a PS4 game and get an AVR + speakers (I'd say around 400$ for a 2.1 good budget set).
Also, if you're concerned about size, see the Marantz and Yamaha "slim" lines. The width don't change a lot but it's quite slim.

Ah, I see.

I think I'll hold out for an AVR then.

I'm tight on money right now, but I won't be for long.

I'm mostly a novice when it comes to home AV.

(totally not glancing at my little $5 DAC and an aux cord running into my PC from my TV for an AIO audio solution)

13 minutes ago, Selinus said:

I'm mostly a novice when it comes to home AV.

(totally not glancing at my little $5 DAC and an aux cord running into my PC from my TV for an AIO audio solution)

I began a few years ago with a Yamaha entry-level 5.1 kit with AVR, that I upgraded later to this AVR and Monitor Audio speakers, keeping the budget under 800$ for 5.1 home cinema experience, using both PC + Nvidia Shield + Raspberry Pi (Rasplex). Don't hesitate to ask for advice, we've all been there.

Three years ago I was still using my cheap Logitech 2.1 speakers. Now I find those unbearable.

You can also refer at a Reddit guide I found not long ago. It's becoming a little outdated but the AVR models don't evolve that much at every generation (mostly just more connectivity features). You might just need to find the closest model to those mentionned if Amazon don't sell them anymore.

Just make sure any model you'll consider match the HDCP 2.2 specification. Auto-calibration mic technologies (Audyssey, YPAO...) are a big plus, but sometimes expensive.

11 minutes ago, jldjul said:

I began a few years ago with a Yamaha entry-level 5.1 kit with AVR, that I upgraded later to this AVR and Monitor Audio speakers, keeping the budget under 800$ for 5.1 home cinema experience, using both PC + Nvidia Shield + Raspberry Pi (Rasplex). Don't hesitate to ask for advice, we've all been there.

Three years ago I was still using my cheap Logitech 2.1 speakers. Now I find those unbearable.

You can also refer at a Reddit guide I found not long ago. It's becoming a little outdated but the AVR models don't evolve that much at every generation (mostly just more connectivity features). You might just need to find the closest model to those mentionned if Amazon don't sell them anymore.

Just make sure any model you'll consider match the HDCP 2.2 specification. Auto-calibration mic technologies (Audyssey, YPAO...) are a big plus, but sometimes expensive.

Just as a quick thought since I'll be integrating this soon™.

Has anyone ever thought to try and macgyver an AVR connected to Alexa for a hands free experience?

7 minutes ago, Selinus said:

Just as a quick thought since I'll be integrating this soon™.

Has anyone ever thought to try and macgyver an AVR connected to Alexa for a hands free experience?

According to some folks on Reddit, it works great but configuration may vary between brands (You'll need Bluetooth though).
Like, in their example, Bluetooth is functionning only when the Bluetooth input is selected with Yamaha AVR. This may be differrent with, for example, Denon's, if they made Bluetooth a global function instead of a sound input.

Try to google something more specific to your device to see if there is any AVR restrictions. I'm definitely trying something similar with Google voice assistant as soon as I get my Shield back ;)

Just now, jldjul said:

According to some folks on Reddit, it works great but configuration may vary between brands (You'll need Bluetooth though).
Like, in their example, Bluetooth is functionning only when the Bluetooth input is selected with Yamaha AVR. This may be differrent with, for example, Denon's, if they made Bluetooth a global function instead of a sound input.

Try to google something more specific to your device to see if there is any AVR restrictions. I'm definitely trying something similar as soon as I get my Shield back ;)

Yeah just ran through that thread a minute ago out of curiosity.

Eventually I'm going to try and see if I can't use IFTTT and an IR blaster somehow to control different devices. All trial and error, though.

16 minutes ago, Selinus said:

Yeah just ran through that thread a minute ago out of curiosity.

Eventually I'm going to try and see if I can't use IFTTT and an IR blaster somehow to control different devices. All trial and error, though.

That's also a big perk of having an AVR. I don't remember how many times I tried weird setups with AirPlay or HDMI CEC just to see if it'll work. They are great out of the box for users who don't want to DIY their setup, but they offers great possibilities too.

I agree that an AVR is the best alternative. However, you cannot simply go with an entry level AVR from any of those companies. Most of the "affordable" models do not provide 4k60Hz/HDCP2.2 inputs for all inputs. Merely one to three at most. You just need to make sure the model you are buying supports the number of 4k60Hz/HDCP2.2 inputs that you need.

Buyer beware.