Alphacool GPU

Fellow Techies,

I will be making the plunge into water-cooling this summer (if nothing else goes wrong). I was wondering what yall thought about alphacool and their gpu blocks? I have heard a couple of cons but I have seen some nice pros. I run one gpu and then the cpu will be cooled as well. Is there any reason not to use to them for everything else?

My plan is to buy the rads (1x360mm passively cooled, 1x120mm rad as intake, 2x240mm rads as intakes) before the summer, and then buy the rest during the summer, that way I am not throwing cash out of a car going 70 mph.

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

7 minutes ago, dual290x said:

Fellow Techies,

I will be making the plunge into water-cooling this summer (if nothing else goes wrong). I was wondering what yall thought about alphacool and their gpu blocks? I have heard a couple of cons but I have seen some nice pros. I run one gpu and then the cpu will be cooled as well. Is there any reason not to use to them for everything else?

My plan is to buy the rads (1x360mm passively cooled, 1x120mm rad as intake, 2x240mm rads as intakes) before the summer, and then buy the rest during the summer, that way I am not throwing cash out of a car going 70 mph.

You're going to buy the rads without the rest of the equipment?

Just now, DoctorZeus said:

You're going to buy the rads without the rest of the equipment?

Correct. I will spread out the spending, so it doesn't seem like I am throwing my money out the window of a moving car. 

The rads will cost me some good money so..... yeah. They will go into the closet once I look over them, and I will pull them out after I buy the rest.

ORLY?

You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

Just now, dual290x said:

Correct. I will spread out the spending, so it doesn't seem like I am throwing my money out the window of a moving car. 

The rads will cost me some good money so..... yeah. They will go into the closet once I look over them, and I will pull them out after I buy the rest.

Unless you have other water cooling equipment to test the radiators with I would hold off on getting the radiators and just buying them with the equipment in the summer. You need to flush them, make sure they don't leak after some load and If you buy them and just put them in storage you won't be able to return them if the date runs out once you get around to actually using them.

Just now, DoctorZeus said:

Unless you have other water cooling equipment to test the radiators with I would hold off on getting the radiators and just buying them with the equipment in the summer. You need to flush them, make sure they don't leak after some load and If you buy them and just put them in storage you won't be able to return them if the date runs out once you get around to actually using them.

Noted. What about Alphacool GPU blocks? I have seen where they don't cool vrms and vram well. How could this be solved?

ORLY?

6 minutes ago, dual290x said:

Noted. What about Alphacool GPU blocks? I have seen where they don't cool vrms and vram well. How could this be solved?

probably thermal pads or mini heatsinks more than likely

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

3 minutes ago, dual290x said:

It depends on the block, quality of installation and fanspeed. From what I saw of the Eiswolf GPX Pro it does a good job cooling the mosfets and vram as it is a full coverage block with a nice array of radiator fins. 

I'd get EK blocks, the clear housing looks at LEAST 10,000 times better. Even TechSource said he hated the look of the black chunky alphacool blocks even though he got it for free. EK blocks cover more of the area with actual waterblock unlike the Alphacool ones which have a passive heatsink for almost everything except the core

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

probably thermal pads or mini heatsinks more than likely

How would you apply mini heatsinks underneath a full-cover block ?

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

1 minute ago, Shiv78 said:

I'd get EK blocks, the clear housing looks at LEAST 10,000 times better. Even TechSource said he hated the look of the black chunky alphacool blocks even though he got it for free. EK blocks cover more of the area with actual waterblock unlike the Alphacool ones which have a passive heatsink for almost everything except the core

uhh. magic

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

1 minute ago, Shiv78 said:

I think DarkBlade thought I was talking about just the GPU not the whole card. I can see why he thought that. I wasn't very clear. 

ORLY?

3 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

I'd get EK blocks, the clear housing looks at LEAST 10,000 times better. Even TechSource said he hated the look of the black chunky alphacool blocks even though he got it for free.

Looks wise, I really don't care. The pc will be on the floor with the window facing the other way. No one will see or care. 

ORLY?

51 minutes ago, dual290x said:

Have you checked out Heatkiller? I think they perform a bit better than Alphacool. I would probably choose EK over Alphacool personally, but Heatkiller of the three. None are 'bad' though.

I'm not sure I get the moving car analogy. You can't do anything with just rads other than mount them in the case. If you change your mind about them later for whatever reason, it will be too late to return them. Buying ALL your components now would be like throwing all your money from a SLOW moving car... you could stop the car and pick it up. Buying stuff slowly over time is like throwing your money out in small bundles from a FAST moving car, once it's gone, you ain't getting it back. :)

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

17 minutes ago, atomicus said:

Have you checked out Heatkiller? I think they perform a bit better than Alphacool. I would probably choose EK over Alphacool personally, but Heatkiller of the three. None are 'bad' though.

I'm not sure I get the moving car analogy. You can't do anything with just rads other than mount them in the case. If you change your mind about them later for whatever reason, it will be too late to return them. Buying ALL your components now would be like throwing all your money from a SLOW moving car... you could stop the car and pick it up. Buying stuff slowly over time is like throwing your money out in small bundles from a FAST moving car, once it's gone, you ain't getting it back. :)

I have never heard of Heatkiller. I will have to look it up. 

Yeah I have been told to do the same. I have never really water-cooled so I don't know what the warranty and return policies are. 

56 minutes ago, DoctorZeus said:

It depends on the block, quality of installation and fanspeed. From what I saw of the Eiswolf GPX Pro it does a good job cooling the mosfets and vram as it is a full coverage block with a nice array of radiator fins. 

I watched a good portion of the video. Thanks I will have to do some more homework on it. Thanks. 

ORLY?

9 hours ago, dual290x said:

I have never heard of Heatkiller. I will have to look it up. 

Yeah I have been told to do the same. I have never really water-cooled so I don't know what the warranty and return policies are. 

Return policy will be the same as any other item in your country/region. I am sure you will have the right to return within a certain time frame if the item is unused.

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

Better off getting it all at once if you do build a loop. Easier to get matching components and properly plan that it will all fit in the case. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

If you're concerned about the VRMs, you can make sure you're getting a "full cover" block.

You will notice that it will be as long as the full card itself. The block will be making contact with all the heat generating components and should include thermal paste and pads along with details instructions on how to apply them to your particular card.

With that, the water will be cooling everything on the card instead of just the GPU.

---

59 minutes ago, PrimeSonic said:

If you're concerned about the VRMs, you can make sure you're getting a "full cover" block.

You will notice that it will be as long as the full card itself. The block will be making contact with all the heat generating components and should include thermal paste and pads along with details instructions on how to apply them to your particular card.

With that, the water will be cooling everything on the card instead of just the GPU.

I have seen where with good air flow it stays pretty cool, but in a case without fans directly on it, I wasn't sure. Thanks for the input.

ORLY?

I second HeatKiller, the build quality of their products is amazing and makes all other waterblocks feel cheap(Even EK). Check my build log(Project Frost) I have a GPU block from them & their reservoirs.

So far their my favorite WaterCooling company. They also make all their products in-house, nothing is outsourced.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

I personally use a heatkiller IV GPU and it's a pretty good block. Build quality is solid and it's better looking then the full acrylic blocks imo. I would've gotten the cpu block to if I didnt have a Swiftech XL2 laying around. 

Spoiler

IMG_0925.JPG

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

I will check them out. 

What are your thoughts on have 960mm worth of rad space? With an oced cpu and one overclocked gpu, could it be pretty silent? I would think so.

ORLY?